Long Line Recommendations

We are currently doing an intensive course on recall and are needing to purchase a long line. We are unsure of where to purchase and what brands are actually good. The ones shown were a simple long line that looked like a leash and a strong retractable leash. We need something that is very strong and sturdy. Does anyone have any recommendations and where to purchase decent ones. We have looked in pet stores but don't want to purchase anything that isn't suitable. Thanks

Some recommend horse lunge lines (get them from horse-related shops).

I have tracking long lines from Blackdog but they're quite expensive. They're very strong though and great quality.

I also have another long line that's very light and thin so nice for the dog. It's from airdogs.com.au - just gotta be careful not to get rope burn with that one!

We are currently doing an intensive course on recall and are needing to purchase a long line. We are unsure of where to purchase and what brands are actually good. The ones shown were a simple long line that looked like a leash and a strong retractable leash. We need something that is very strong and sturdy. Does anyone have any recommendations and where to purchase decent ones. We have looked in pet stores but don't want to purchase anything that isn't suitable. Thanks

I have one I bought from K9 Force and it's great. You can buy it from their web site.

Their gear is for use with high drive dogs so it is strong, but it is still light and doesn't tangle easily.

Edited by perfect partners

If you use rope, be aware of the possibility of rope-burn (i.e don't put your dog in a situation where you may have to grab the rope while he's running).

My Black Dog tracking line has never let me down.

I have one I bought from K9 Force and it's great. You can buy it from their web site.

Their gear is for use with high drive dogs so it is strong, but it is still light and doesn't tangle easily.

Me too :laugh: It is a bit pricier than the lunge lines you can buy from horse supply stores etc but the quality is great.

I got a lunge line from Bonnets on Magill Road for $20. You can either get the nylon one or a cotton one which is much easier on your hands but if it gets wet becomes quite heavy.

Also may I ask where are you doing your intensive recall course?

Me too ;) It is a bit pricier than the lunge lines you can buy from horse supply stores etc but the quality is great.

Me 3 :laugh:

I have the grippy one. Love it! :p

Me 3 :laugh:

I have the grippy one. Love it! ;)

So jealous! I saw those at Steve's last QLD workshop. I want one :thumbsup: It would be excessive though seeing as I rarely use the one I have now :p

I am at the moment leaning towards the blackdog one and trying to find the k9 force one, can't seem to see it on their website. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I would shoot them off an email :laugh: I don't think the long lines are on the website.

Me 3 ;)

I have the grippy one. Love it! ;)

So jealous! I saw those at Steve's last QLD workshop. I want one :) It would be excessive though seeing as I rarely use the one I have now :)

He he, it is good - really light and easy to hold. I often walk Kei down to the oval on it for training sessions (only giving him about 4ft during the walk though -not the whole leash) and find it so easy to use that way. With my other long line I wouldn't ever do that in case it slipped from my hands, but the grip on this really makes a difference and seems to stop it from knotting too :D

I am at the moment leaning towards the blackdog one and trying to find the k9 force one, can't seem to see it on their website. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
I would shoot them off an email :( I don't think the long lines are on the website.

Yeah they are not on the website, you will have to email Steve.

I have a 33ft BlackDog line but it's not nearly as good. The clips on the standard 15ft and 33ft lines are only medium sized, but BlackDog will custon make you one with a stronger clip for a few extra $$ if you request it through their site.

*sp

Edited by SecretKei