Best Breeds For Obedience Training, Agility And Dogs Sports

Well maybe I should give my little whippet a go at least. Unfortunately i have been spending a lot of time training my foster dogs and haven't had time to do much with my girl, and she is a real Feral Cheryl at the moment :p

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, if you wouldn't want to own one of these dogs and not compete with it then don't buy a dog for the job. What happens when that dog becomes unsound or can't compete - do you still want to live with it? If the answer is no then buy the breed you love and do whatever is possible with that.

Thanks Poodlefan for the info, i will look at some results. I have been keeping an eye on the dog sports mag and results through our canine association too.

In reference to the above quote - see my reply page 2! I would never get a dog just for the sake of doing sports, like i said on page 2, it is a pet and family member first and foremost, of course i would get a breed that i love, rather than getting a breed just because it may excel at sports.

I have tried agility with the whippets without a lot of success. But my guys, like most whippets i think, have short energy bursts then sleep for 4 hours afterwards, lazy beggars!!

Well done with your Afghan keshwar :p

I realise that any dog can do sports, but my original question was what dogs were particularly suited to agility and obedience, if any.

Pity we don't have Lurchers in this country Whipit.. apparently they are one of the few breeds/types that give the BCs a run for their money in the UK.

Pity we don't have Lurchers in this country Whipit.. apparently they are one of the few breeds/types that give the BCs a run for their money in the UK.

Oh yes i loved Lurchers when i lived in London. Wonder what the Silken Windhounds are like ...?! :p

Oh yes i loved Lurchers when i lived in London. Wonder what the Silken Windhounds are like ...?! :p

Oh I keep reading the windhounds yahoo group to see if they have got recognition by the american kennel club yet, so then we could start importing them here!!

Any dog will make a good sport dog if the instinct is nurtured correctly from the onset.

Woofenpup is correct in that Kelpies have 2 speeds, on and off. Ours are couch potatoes until you introduce games or work. They have the tenacity, the will, the drive and most importantly the stamina for prolonged high energy work. I speak of the working lines as I am not too familiar with the bench Kelpie.

Working line BC's are also excellent and don't come with all the furry long hair that needs a heap of management. They are sleek and slender in build and are of similar size to kelpies.

Any dog will make a good sport dog if the instinct is nurtured correctly from the onset.

I disagree. Dogs have to be sound and athletic to do well. They also have to have some resilience and some harnessable drive. Not every dog ticks those boxes. I've seen enough of them over the years.

PF, yes of course I agree...probably should have written "some" instead of "any". What I should have said was that you can nuture (from young and to a degree), provided they are sound both physcially and mentally and the owners have a good idea of dogs and training.

I have seen a pitbull herding sheep! :welcome:

Edited by Kelpie-i

PF, yes of course I agree...probably should have written "some" instead of "any". What I should have said was that you can nuture (from young and to a degree), provided they are sound both physcially and mentally and the owners have a good idea of dogs and training.

I have seen a pitbull herding sheep! :welcome:

Poodles have done it too. There are still some breeds I'd not recommend for agility.

I have 2 greyhounds and a whippet, but am looking at getting into showing at some stage. the big problem will be choosing a breed. At the moment I am tossing up between a greyhound, a Borzoi, or a Ridgeback. If I did go the Ridgie I might like to have a go at dog sports too. Does anyone know of any Ridgies that are good at obedience or agility?

There was 1 in SA some years ago now that managed his masters title in agility, along with show and other performance titles - Ch Caprivi Inside Edge CDX ADM JDX ET

There was 1 in SA some years ago now that managed his masters title in agility, along with show and other performance titles - Ch Caprivi Inside Edge CDX ADM JDX ET

I hadnt heard of that one. There was a whippie here too that did a lot, from the same breeder my guys are from - Swifthund Goody Two Shoes i think her name was. So it obviously can be done ... with energetic whippets with some drive!

Get a Dally You know you want to

Mwahahahah!! :p ....... NOT :welcome:

:p And that is exactly why I wanted one - nothing like a challenge to get me motivated!!! Plus I wanted a completely different dog to my ACD so I didn't have any expectations. Different is right :rofl: That said, he is an absolute blast to work with...I just needed to find out what makes him tick :rofl: I will be very interested to see what breed you pick!

I went through some similar thought processes when picking my current dog. I wanted an easy to train breed that would enable a relative beginner to dog sports to do OK, with all my trainers flaws, plus one who would fit in with our lifestyle and living arrangements. I narrowed my searchlist down to a handfull of the medium sized herding breeds and gun dog breeds, but in the end, and in consultation with my OH, who had to live with the dog as well, we got a Cardigan Welsh Corgi.

It was interesting to see how highly placed the corgi's were in the AKC listing, as my girl has done really well for me, as a 'learner dog'. My last dogs were Rhodesian Ridgebacks, and my cardi girl has been a dream to train by comparison, and genuinely seems to enjoy doing things for me. Its also been fun to trial with a breed that's little different (in Australia- as you can see by that AKC list, corgi's are more common performance dogs in the US) but best of all, she fits in so well with us too!

Good luck with finding the right breed for ALL your requirements!

And that is exactly why I wanted one - nothing like a challenge to get me motivated!!! Plus I wanted a completely different dog to my ACD so I didn't have any expectations. Different is right That said, he is an absolute blast to work with...I just needed to find out what makes him tick I will be very interested to see what breed you pick!

Actually i didnt mean to be so rude, i quite like the Dallys, just wouldnt own one. Im sure your spotted devil will do well for you :welcome:

And that is exactly why I wanted one - nothing like a challenge to get me motivated!!! Plus I wanted a completely different dog to my ACD so I didn't have any expectations. Different is right That said, he is an absolute blast to work with...I just needed to find out what makes him tick I will be very interested to see what breed you pick!

Actually i didnt mean to be so rude, i quite like the Dallys, just wouldnt own one. Im sure your spotted devil will do well for you :cheer:

No offence taken at all :vomit: I thought your response was very funny actually as that's exactly what I said when someone suggested a Dally! They are absolutely not a breed for everyone and definitely not for the faint hearted...hence my user name :flame: He has already done well for me...3 1st places for his CCD, 188/2nd at Melbourne Royal for Novice and got his first pass yesterday in Novice Jumping with a ripper of a run. I'm still over the moon about that one :rofl: And most importantly a madly wagging tail to boot! Sorry for going OT :rofl: