Best Breeds For Obedience Training, Agility And Dogs Sports

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love beagles they are so cutely norty!! They crack me up.

They crack me up too :cheer: If you know how to harness that scent drive, they can be quite good at dog sports, I don't know why we don't see more of them around!

There's an Agility Champion Tenterfield :flame:

Yes the obvious breeds are BC ad Kelpie. Surprising that there aren't more Belgians around really.

I'd agree with Huski, first consideration should be if you can live with the breed and if they suit your lifestyle.

Personally I'm not sure I could meet all the needs of some of the common breeds for dog sports. :vomit:

:cheer: That tentie was bred and is owned y OHs cousin! She is a marvel and also has endurance and tacking to her name :rofl:

Her mum (doggy), her sister (cattle dog) and humans often stay with us. OHs cousin has just got a wonderful working kelpie pup, so here we go again!!!Tas is retiring.(tentie)

I am a useless trainer, and even I have been able to train my viz for flyball, agility, obed.! she is a dream.

I know BCs are fantastic and outshine many dogs in sports, (and I have one I look after on and off for the last 8 years), but gun dogs are just so responsive and dont seem to take theirselves too seriously, a laugh a minute.

I adore seeing small dogs out there doing stuff too.

I guess you have to look at the whole picture of a breed, nearly all dogs will be capable of doing sports, but if you want a WINNER at any cost, you need a dog that is competitive.

I'm pretty sure someone on here trained their dane for agility and did really well :rofl:

I think you can have a good competition dog from any breed, it all boils down to temperment, drive and trainability. Some breeds just have the right mix more commonly than others that's all! I've seen all manner of breeds competing from yorkshire terriers, to great danes, to american bull dogs, Old English Sheepies, Malamutes and Spaniels (note, not all of these breeds were great competition dogs but some were). I don't think you can simply pick a breed, as in all breeds there are variations, I know some border collies that you would have to drag around an agility course and I can think of one particular french bulldog who when it's fully trained is going to do better than some border collies I know at obedience trials!

Pick a breed you like, then find a breeder who tends to breed the temperment/trainability that you want and then wait for a puppy! Or go to the rescues like someone else suggested! :)

I have border collies despite the fact that I don't have the lifestyle that people typically associate with borders - ie I don't do long walks/runs regularly, I don't have an overly large yard, I only own one at the moment and she has never seen sheep, I use training as an outlet for her energy which suits us both! If I had to pick a breed that matched my lifestyle I'd probably end up with something I couldn't compete with very well!

I can think of one particular french bulldog who when it's fully trained is going to do better than some border collies I know at obedience trials!

So can I :) She puts some working dogs to shame :grouphug:

Edited by huski

I love beagles they are so cutely norty!! They crack me up.

They crack me up too :thumbsup: If you know how to harness that scent drive, they can be quite good at dog sports, I don't know why we don't see more of them around!

We have a great little beagle over here in the West by the name of Tammy...lovely little worker.

She's done well in obedience and agility. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know how a Belgian Malinois would rate in agility compared with a Border Collie or Kelpie???. I did a bit of agility with a GSD years ago but he was too big and clumsy and the BC's & Kelpies ran all over him :hug: The Mals are generally more agile and faster than a GSD and I wondered in that type of working dog how a Mal would go???

Does anyone know how a Belgian Malinois would rate in agility compared with a Border Collie or Kelpie???. I did a bit of agility with a GSD years ago but he was too big and clumsy and the BC's & Kelpies ran all over him :hug: The Mals are generally more agile and faster than a GSD and I wondered in that type of working dog how a Mal would go???

The only Mal I've seen do agility was a top dog. Other Belgian Shepherds do well too.

I can't answer on experience but I do have the breed down on my "must own" list! I would think that they would be pretty good - they are strong, fast, agile, trainable, high drive, not overly large which is always a benefit on an agilty course. I know that they are the next breed I'll get if I ever get over the BCs! The few I've seen compete do well but as with all breeds I'd say you'd need to suss out breeders pretty carefully. From the people I've spoken to about them, there can be some weak nerve probs in the breed and because it's not a very common breed here in OZ it can be harder to find a good one than one of the more popular breeds which have the same problem.

I watched a Mal run through the ring at the Obedience trial in Newcastle 2 weekends ago and he was stunning to watch! I am pretty sure it was the Open Ring too ... I spoke to his owner for a while after his run and he was saying that he had trialed Mals and Turvs both in Agility and Obedience (and showing) and had been doing so for a number of years... he was really passionate about the breed and very upfront as to their challenges but to watch this Mal work the ring was stunning - he was 150% there the entire time ... twas lovely to watch

Does anyone know how a Belgian Malinois would rate in agility compared with a Border Collie or Kelpie???. I did a bit of agility with a GSD years ago but he was too big and clumsy and the BC's & Kelpies ran all over him :laugh: The Mals are generally more agile and faster than a GSD and I wondered in that type of working dog how a Mal would go???

A Terv won the 26" USDAA Grand Prix Steeplechase final this year...She was the only non-BC in the class & she beat them all.

Here is the link: