Please Help Me Id The Breed

KismetKat

I know that there are a few Hovawarts in Victoria (they also come in gold/yellow) so that probably is your mystery breed :D

Used to go to obedience with two :D Beautiful dogs.

Really!

My mum had one when she was young. I never knew they were in Australia.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I didn't know there were any Hovawarts in Australia!? I liked them years ago, but didn't think they were in Australia. The golden ones look a bit like Golden Retriever, but if I'm not mistaken the breed is a lot harder?

Edited by poochmad

The dog in your picture is a hovawart. It's a guarding/herding breed, so quite a different temperament from a golden retriever, although they can look quite similar as hovawarts do also come in a golden colour. I wish someone would start breeding them in Australia, it's one of my favourite breeds.

"The Hovawart is an outstanding watch dog and somewhat reserved towards strangers. They make excellent family dogs as they are totally devoted to their family. They are a working dog breed, and require a consistent and loving yet strict training and meaningful activity throughout their lives. The Hovawart does exceptionally well in search and rescue, tracking and working dog activities. The females are generally lighter in build and often love agility. In training and especially obedience work the trainer must keep positive reinforcement in mind all the time, as the Hovawart is not as eager to please as many other working dog breeds: it always needs some kind of motivation. It is important to realize that the Hovawart works with you and not for you. They do have the ability to think and act independently. Their guarding instinct for example does not require any real training; it is inherent, as it is what they were bred for. The Hovawart may easily become reluctant if training is built only on punishments.

The owner of a Hovawart should ideally have previous experience in owning and training a dog and as such the Hovawart is not usually suitable as a first dog."

Monah - I think you've found my mystery dog! *claps hands*

Here's a pic I found

Hovawart_black_and_tan.jpg

Now that's a tall, long silky haired dog with colours reminiscent of a bernese mountain dog. Isn't it? :)

:D Well this is the only dog I could find remotely like what you described, but they are a german breed, however if it were bred in holland or owned by dutch people maybe that would influence what the walker said?

Be interesting to see if it really is one of these, they have fantastic temperaments. :rofl:

I know that there are a few Hovawarts in Victoria (they also come in gold/yellow) so that probably is your mystery breed :thumbsup:

Used to go to obedience with two :thumbsup: Beautiful dogs.

Really!

My mum had one when she was young. I never knew they were in Australia.

Yep, these were just brought over as pets though (also this was about 6 years ago) and the breed isn't yet ANKC recognised. This person had one black & tan and one rich gold. Everyone thought the golden one was a Golden Retriever and expected it to have that cuddly temperament. They seem like fantastic dogs for the right, dedicated people :thumbsup: I would consider them if they were more readily available.

Aside from the larger ears and lack of white chest and toes, that dog could be Benson. The Hovawart os probably bigger, although it's hard to tell from a photo.

So, if you like the look, an almost full black Australian Shepherd would be a good substitute.