Please Help Me Id The Breed

KismetKat

Met a dog walker in the park today with her 4 charges. I must say here I was very impressed with her professionalism which was a marked contrast from some I see *sigh*.

Anyway one of her dogs was a purebred dutch breed - she did tell me the name but the early alzheimers has kicked in *more sighing* and it was not a breed I'd heard of.

But what a gorgeous dog! Nicely built, tallish and slim. Medium length coat in a colour reminiscent of a Burnese Mountain Dog. But what really got me was the softness of the coat! Running your fingers along her was like the softest velvet glove. I think I am in love. The dog had a lovely nature too.

Can DOLers help me remember what breed she was?

Edited by KismetKat

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An appenzeller seddunhund or entelebucher kind of fit the description.

I would LOVE an entlebucher but I don't think there are any in Australia. The only Swiss Mountain dog that i'm aware of it the Bernese, but if there are the smooth coated varieties here, I would love to see one.

OK the coat length is a bit like the Markiesje (but maybe longer) - but this dog was a lot taller than 16 inches.

The 2 Danish dogs are sorta right on the colour - but the coat was far longer.

This was quite a tall dog - probably about the size of my rough collie. Not as fluffy of course, but the semi-long coat was just SO silky - reminded me of patting my Main Coon cat!

The closest in looks might be the shepherd - but the colour is wrong and also the breed standard says the coat is rough to touch - this coat was sillky soft.

I might have to track this dog walker down again (and take a pen and paper with me).

The closest in looks might be the shepherd - but the colour is wrong and also the breed standard says the coat is rough to touch - this coat was sillky soft.

I might have to track this dog walker down again (and take a pen and paper with me).

And a camera :hug:

And a camera :hug:

jeesh - I did have my phone with me which has a camera :hug:

Maybe they said Danish and you misheard, or they were wrong.

An appenzeller seddunhund or entelebucher kind of fit the description.

Neither of those are in Aus. Neither are Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs. The only Swiss Mountain dog in Aus is indeed the Bernese :hug:

I'm very curious to know what these dogs were though!!! :hug:

If you mean the Belgian, it has more than one variety and the long haired ones have soft hair, as against not rough.

A. LONG HAIR: The hair is short on the head, the outer side of the ears and the lower part of the legs, except on the rear side of the forearm which is covered from elbow to wrist by long hairs called fringes. The hair is long and smooth on the rest of the body and longer and more abundant around the neck and on the forechest, where it forms a collarette or ruff and a jabot or apron. The opening of the ear is protected by thick tufts of hair. From the base of the ear the hair is upright and frames the head. The back of the thighs is covered with very long abundant hair forming the culottes or breeches. The tail is furnished with long, abundant hair forming a plume.

The Groenendael and the Tervueren are the long-haired.

Sometimes people also like to make up breeds of dog or decide that their crossbreed dog is actually a really rare purebred (forgetting the minor detail that its not in Australia, etc). :thumbsup:

Why can't the breed be in Australia? It may not be recognised here but it could have come with it's family :thumbsup: