Please Help Me Id The Breed

KismetKat

No - it was none of the most recent suggestions (judging by photos after a google search).

I don't think it was some DD cross - the walker was certainly 'no nonense' enough to not buy into that sort of stuff - she told me the schnauzer looking dog wasn't a pure. The name she gave for the (dutch?) breed was definitely foreign sounding (so i guess not a Belgian Shep) and had 4 to 5 syllables.

The dog was quite tall (about the size of a GSD) but much finer looking - not so heavyset. Colour mainly black but am pretty sure there were some colour touches near the feet (as I said, it was reminiscent, tho not exactly like, a Bernese Mountain dog). Coat longish, straight and very silky to touch. For some reason I think it might be a spaniel breed but could be totally wrong - I really don't know enough about the different category of dog to make that judgement. Just the dog seemed soft and nice which is what I kinda expect from spaniels.

This is now driving me nuts. I've even thought of emailing the dog walking company to ask but they'd probably think I was crazy! :)

Edited by KismetKat

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

. Coat longish, straight and very silky to touch. For some reason I think it might be a spaniel breed but could be totally wrong -

A tibbie on steroids? :)

Seriously, tho', I also wondered if it were one of the Belgian Shepherds, but you're right about that distinctive soft silky straight coat being different.

Interesting if you could catch up with the dog-walker again....& take a pic and write down the details.

Found this: Dutch Stabyhoun also known as Friesian Pointer. Has a bit of a 'big spaniel' look. I don't know what colours it comes in.

post-3304-1264750191_thumb.jpg

Mita - that could be it! :thumbsup: By googling I've seen some pics of some mainly black ones like the one I saw. Even if it isn't - what a gorgeous breed of dog :) Thanks for finding it.

But yes, you may well have found my mystery dog - virtual packet of tim tams coming your way :laugh:

ETA: here's a link with info on the breed.

Edited by KismetKat

Mita - that could be it! :thumbsup: By googling I've seen some pics of some mainly black ones like the one I saw. Even if it isn't - what a gorgeous breed of dog :) Thanks for finding it.

But yes, you may well have found my mystery dog - virtual packet of tim tams coming your way :D

Any time, KK, I'll be here to ID & get another packet of tim tams. Damn it.....just saw the 'virtual' bit. :laugh:

I reckon your description about the silky-soft to touch coat & the 'spaniel' impression cracked the case.

Staby's are beautiful :D :) I emailed a few breeders in Holland & Sweden some years ago and they sound like they would fit right in here in Oz :)

To me, the resmble small Landseer Newfies, which is what drew me to the breed in the first place.

ETA: re-read your post (before getting excited about the possibility of a Staby living in my own state :) ), and if it was the size of a GSD, then it's definitely not a Staby, theya re only 20 inches, give or take. Large Munsterlander sounds more likely IMO.

Edited by SpikesPuppy

No - it was none of the most recent suggestions (judging by photos after a google search).

I don't think it was some DD cross - the walker was certainly 'no nonense' enough to not buy into that sort of stuff - she told me the schnauzer looking dog wasn't a pure. The name she gave for the (dutch?) breed was definitely foreign sounding (so i guess not a Belgian Shep) and had 4 to 5 syllables.

The dog was quite tall (about the size of a GSD) but much finer looking - not so heavyset. Colour mainly black but am pretty sure there were some colour touches near the feet (as I said, it was reminiscent, tho not exactly like, a Bernese Mountain dog). Coat longish, straight and very silky to touch. For some reason I think it might be a spaniel breed but could be totally wrong - I really don't know enough about the different category of dog to make that judgement. Just the dog seemed soft and nice which is what I kinda expect from spaniels.

This is now driving me nuts. I've even thought of emailing the dog walking company to ask but they'd probably think I was crazy! :)

To the best of my knowledge, there are no Stabyhouns in Australia.

Not Dutch, but a Large Munsterlander seems to tick the other boxes.

Wow...Just read the 'link'...what a fantastic dog! If they were here in any numbers then I would definitly put my name down for one. Not only beautiful to look at, their temperment sounds perfect!

very interesting! :D

OK, my 2 cents worth.

could it have been a black and tan Hovawart?? they are a german breed but the looks are very very similar to what you described. Someone could have brought one in if they have moved here recently. The only other dog I can think of remotely 'similar; re size and colouring is a Drentse Patrijshond and these are Dutch and are a gundog in that country. but they are mostly white and orange.

Stabyhouns only come in black and white, or brown and white or black roan.

The larger spaniel breeds are French.

I'm CONFUSED? :) :D

Unless she got the country of origin wrong? Maybe it was where the humans were from? Or a dog so rare it's not mentioned anywhere?

Will hope to find out the solution the mystery soon :)

Monah - I think you've found my mystery dog! *claps hands*

Here's a pic I found

Hovawart_black_and_tan.jpg

Now that's a tall, long silky haired dog with colours reminiscent of a bernese mountain dog. Isn't it? :D

Did it look like any of these??

august-150.jpg

black-tri.jpg

layl.JPG

rowdy.JPG

http://www.robinhillfarmaussies.com/images/banner-crop.jpg

These are Australian Shepherds, They have their tails docked traditionally and in Australia there is alot of tailed aussies because in order to have a tailess one it needs to be a NBT.

Did it look like these?