Puppy Regurgitating Food

KumaAkita

Our lovely 11 week old Akita pup has been regurgitating his food - not every day, but 3 times in the last 2 weeks. The first time was immediately after he ate his lunch (chucked all over his bed, my hubby was the only one home and had to clean it up - fun! :thumbsup: ), the other two times have been after his evening walk.

Now, details... he has just moved onto Advance Puppy Growth for Large Breeds, after a few days of half/half with the Advance Puppy, this is the food his breeder gave him and didn't think we needed to change. He eats about 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day as well as a chicken wing each morning. We pound the crap out of the chicken wing so the bones aren't too big for him.

The first chuck we put down to eating way to fast - he was a bit of a piggy with his lunch. The second and third times were after his evening walk, he has dinner at 6:00 pm and we walking around 7:30 - 8:00 pm. He gets home, has a bit to drink - we try to hold him off for a few minutes before letting him drink. He chucked last night about 10 mins after we got home.

His vomit consists of mainly undigested food, chicken bones and water. He's fine before and after his little episode. No issue with peeing or pooing.

So... any ideas? Eating too much, too fast, bones not good, visit our vet???

Any hints would be handy.

Cheers

I'm not sure re the chucking - young puppies occassionally chuck and then hoover it all back up...

11 weeks is quite young to walking and I'd imagine he's only had the one vaccination at this point? Most puppies get plenty of exercise at that age playing at home until a bit older...

How far are you walking him? If you insist on walking him, then I'd suggest a VERY short walk (I dont' suggest he be walked at all until 10 days after his 2nd vaccination) BEFORE you feed him (and only feed him once he's had an hour or so at home).

JMO

My girl had to have an operation at 3 weeks of age because a vein was obstructing her esophagus so every time she ate the food wouldn't fit down her pipe! Obviously your pup hasen't got this problem if 90% of the time there is no regurgitating, but I would probably get a vet check just for peace of mind, and if they are worried they'll do a barium test - get the dog to ingest liquid with a special dye in it, then they will take numerous x-rays of the esophagus and stomach etc to see if there is a blockage or problem somewhere down the tract.

This might be interesting too http://www.vetinfo.com/dvomit.html

I'm not sure re the chucking - young puppies occassionally chuck and then hoover it all back up...

11 weeks is quite young to walking and I'd imagine he's only had the one vaccination at this point? Most puppies get plenty of exercise at that age playing at home until a bit older...

How far are you walking him? If you insist on walking him, then I'd suggest a VERY short walk (I dont' suggest he be walked at all until 10 days after his 2nd vaccination) BEFORE you feed him (and only feed him once he's had an hour or so at home).

JMO

I agree with this.

It sounds to me like he is hovering down his meals and the walking after dinner is causing an upset tummy.

Personally I would be taking it very easy with the walks and at that age while he hasn't had all his Vacc none at all. But that's JMO

How much exercise has his breeder reccomended?

Thanks everyone... he's had his C5 last week.

When I say walk, I really mean a ten minute dawdle around golf course we back onto. He is sleeping all day, so we have been thinking we need to get him out and about. Plus, we both work and he's inside all day - crashed out in the laundry.

When he got his vax last week the vet said it was ok for him to have a short walk, but maybe we need to ease up a bit.

Maybe we'll go for smaller meals and less exercise and see how we go.

I'm confused - even if he's had a 'C5' that would have been at 10 weeks? Is that the only vaccination he's had?

I agree with Pers - training in the yard is just as stimulating as a walk such a young puppy.

Thanks everyone... he's had his C5 last week.

When I say walk, I really mean a ten minute dawdle around golf course we back onto. He is sleeping all day, so we have been thinking we need to get him out and about. Plus, we both work and he's inside all day - crashed out in the laundry.

When he got his vax last week the vet said it was ok for him to have a short walk, but maybe we need to ease up a bit.

Maybe we'll go for smaller meals and less exercise and see how we go.

Young puppies tend to spend lots of time resting, it's normal :)

Hi All,

Thanks for the concern and the messages.

He hasn't chucked since the last time. We backed off the walking after dinner, reduced the size of his meals and everything seems to be hunky dory. We are soaking his food at the moment and he seems much happier that when he was chomping on larger size kibble. We still feed him the chicken wing every morning without any issues. We have always worked on the principle that we need to feed his mind as well as his belly, and spend time each day doing obedience exercies and other fun stuff.

He's had all his vaccinations and starts puppy classes next week. He's growing rapidly as all good giant breeds do, about 1Kg a week!

Cheers