What Is A "cooli"?

LizT

Love, love, love, love, love Koolies and now I understand about the spelling so I will remember! ADR rescued quite a few whilst I was there - in fact there is one in my siggy (Kev the Koolie) and another dog that I always suspected as being a mix. I love the merle colouring but as I said in a recent thread all the merle breeds seem to come in a package that is just a bit too much dog for me

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gotta have the solid ones as you shouldn't breed merle to merle or pups may be deaf :laugh: I love the chocolate solid ones, I was so tempted when my friend had a litter and one was a solid chocolate girl. She has also bred some chocolate and white. She restrains me though or I would have a houseful of dogs :laugh:

beautiful dogs everyone. If you want to send me some photos valleyCBR I'll show them to my friend and see what she thinks :rofl:

Are Koolies similar in temperament to the aussie?

Can you get more laid back ones ie. do they have an off switch?

The reason i ask is that my mum would love another aussie but would now prefer to have a short haired dog as she does a lot of walking in the countryside and even in our area, there are a lot of ticks, so a short coated dog is preferable.

She thinks labs are too immature and boisterous, so wants a herding dog type personality ie. focussed and more "mature" but a short coat.

Short haired BCs are not suitable becuase many are way to obsessive and really need a job- particularly herding something lol!

She is only after a companion but is willing to provide lots of exercise and some obedience, but no competitive type sports.

:laugh: :D ;) only because I was trying to explain this in another thread and told impossible.

But I don't think it is and I live with my boy quite happily and my friend has masses of coolies. Whilst there are some who are hyperactive most are very settled dogs with a good "off" switch. That's why I love my boy so much. He gets about 30 minutes walk a day, he gets to boss a male golden retreiver and 3 cats around, he gets to play with his best mate a female golden retreiver and he gets to lie on the couch for hours. and is a very happy boy :thumbsup: it's not only about exercise but also about just being with him. flashy and I also play "grandmother footsteps" down the hallway :thumbsup: I walk down the hall and he follows and I suddenly stop and he suddenly stops behind me ('cept his tail is often wagging) and he loves just having the footy kicked around the backyard for him.

from the sounds of it I think a coolie would be perfect for your mum but would choose a breeder that knows the pups. my friend has a litter at the moment and one due and she would be able to help :thumbsup:

:laugh: :D ;) only because I was trying to explain this in another thread and told impossible.

But I don't think it is and I live with my boy quite happily and my friend has masses of coolies. Whilst there are some who are hyperactive most are very settled dogs with a good "off" switch. That's why I love my boy so much. He gets about 30 minutes walk a day, he gets to boss a male golden retreiver and 3 cats around, he gets to play with his best mate a female golden retreiver and he gets to lie on the couch for hours. and is a very happy boy :thumbsup: it's not only about exercise but also about just being with him. flashy and I also play "grandmother footsteps" down the hallway :thumbsup: I walk down the hall and he follows and I suddenly stop and he suddenly stops behind me ('cept his tail is often wagging) and he loves just having the footy kicked around the backyard for him.

from the sounds of it I think a coolie would be perfect for your mum but would choose a breeder that knows the pups. my friend has a litter at the moment and one due and she would be able to help :thumbsup:

do you mind if i ask who your friend is i know most koolie breeds but not all, i have a litter of pups now and a couple of older pups from dance's last litter and i will not be breeding again until late next year

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

Someone I know at the obedience club I go to as one she tells me, a Koolie is what ever the breeder decides to put in it, most go for cattle type as they have a harder bite then the border collies ect, so what I want to know is if its a mixed breed wouldnt that come under some type of Designer dog???

Please dont flame me as I know nothen about this breed :laugh:

Ed to add, she has 2 Koolies

Edited by Borderpower

no one is going to flame you for asking lol and the answer to that is no we all breed koolie to koolie now days and there are some farmers that still breed best worker to best worker but they are crossing them with border collies or kelpies not cattle dogs (heelers) there are some very hard biting border collies out there i have seen some in action but those borders are working border collies short coated and bred to work cattle just like the koolies some have been bred to work only sheep and some cattle i have both types here

Someone I know at the obedience club I go to as one she tells me, a Koolie is what ever the breeder decides to put in it, most go for cattle type as they have a harder bite then the border collies ect, so what I want to know is if its a mixed breed wouldnt that come under some type of Designer dog???

To me, traditional working breeds, selected for working ability and breeding true to type for generations, are miles away from F1 hybrid designer dogs.

I also thought the ANKC recognised the koolie as a working registry breed? I don't mean showable at ANKC shows, I know they don't have that kind of recognition, but I seem to recall some official acknowledgement of the working registry in some journal or other?

EFS

Edited by Diva

To me, traditional workings breeds, selected for working ability and breeding true to type for generations, are miles away from F1 hybrid designer dogs.

so true Diva working dogs cross bred or pure are not and never be designer dogs they bred for work ability not looks or tpye

I also thought the ANKC recognised the koolie as a working registry breed? I don't mean showable at ANKC shows, I know they don't have that kind of recognition, but I seem to recall some official acknowledgement of the working registry in some journal or other?

and yes they are now allowed in agility, obedience flyball and herding and any other sporting events just no bench showing we are pleased to say

no one is going to flame you for asking lol and the answer to that is no we all breed koolie to koolie now days and there are some farmers that still breed best worker to best worker but they are crossing them with border collies or kelpies not cattle dogs (heelers) there are some very hard biting border collies out there i have seen some in action but those borders are working border collies short coated and bred to work cattle just like the koolies some have been bred to work only sheep and some cattle i have both types here

Oh ok, :laugh: thanks for that information, I always wanted to know :D

Diva - Very true ;)

• 1 month later...

I have just become mummy to a 8 month old Koolie boy named Rocky and i am such a convert now. He is the sweetest, most intelligent goofball i have ever met. He has totally twisted everyone around his paw since we got him 3 weeks ago.

post-3287-1286192796_thumb.jpg

Edited by tiny_terror

My girl Tilly was a stray, but was described as a Kelpie X Koolie...one person on a forum said Tilly looks like the result of two dogs being sewn together, which I thought was a funny way to describe her :) .

3451530252_5e199770a8_b.jpgMatilda by fainty_girl, on Flickr

4168236499_5ee7f35b9e_b.jpgMatilda by fainty_girl, on Flickr

4503699351_348148d7c9_b.jpgMatilda by fainty_girl, on Flickr

4870777632_b88c7abde2_b.jpgMatilda by fainty_girl, on Flickr

Edited by fainty_girl

What stunning wee puppies!

Can I ask a question though....as this is not a "recognised" breed, how is it any different from BYB?

Not asking to "wind" anyone up, am just curious as to responses.

It is a recognised breed, it's just not recognied by the ANKC.

The difference to a BYB...well, breeders or working dogs put lots of thought into their breeding programs. They generally keep excellent records and often have a wide network of other breeders who they share with. They don't need a judge or a standard to tell them their dogs look like they can do what they were bred for, because each day they prove they can do it.

A BYB breeds A to B and gets $. They don't keep records, they usually don't care what happens to the pups once they're sold and they certainly don't note any genetic characteristics that might prove useful for their future breeding program.

To me, traditional workings breeds, selected for working ability and breeding true to type for generations, are miles away from F1 hybrid designer dogs.

so true Diva working dogs cross bred or pure are not and never be designer dogs they bred for work ability not looks or tpye

Yup, I agree. A good working dog breeder is miles away from a designer dog breeder. They take breeding very seriously, and bred towards a performance goal, and are recognised by their peers as producing good dogs that do a good job. Their dogs are proven in the work they do. This is very different from randomly throwing dogs together in order to make some cash.

Faintygirl, your Tilly is gorgeous! :)