What Is A "cooli"?

LizT

My daughters friend asked me the other day and I am not 100% certain. I've seen many dogs that have been pointed out to me as 'Cooli' or Cooli X but am not really sure as to the origin of this term or if it is a recognised breed? One thing that I've noticed about these dogs is that they are similar in build to Australian Cattle Dogs, have blue eyes and are a merle colour.

Anyone?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe what you are talking about is a koolie :thumbsup: they are an Australian working dog, they come in both solid and merle colouring and are great all round dogs, they are not as heavy set as a cattle dog. For more info on this awesome breed LOOK HERE . Would love to chat all day about them but Im at work and should be working :(

ETA Pixie in my sig is a pure koolie and Kovu is a koolie x

Edited by sheree_e4

I believe what you are talking about is a koolie :thumbsup: they are an Australian working dog, they come in both solid and merle colouring and are great all round dogs, they are not as heavy set as a cattle dog. For more info on this awesome breed LOOK HERE . Would love to chat all day about them but Im at work and should be working :(

ETA Pixie in my sig is a pure koolie and Kovu is a koolie x

Thanks Sheree e4

That's certainly the type of dog I remember seeing, yes more like a Kelpie build really. Often called a German Koolie. I've googled more info and it seems they are not as yet recognised by KCC as no records were kept in the early days and you need seven generations of breeding records to be recognised as a breed?? Pity. They look a lovely 'switched on' dog.

this is my coolie boy

they can be spelt either Koolie or coolie

th_DSCF2857.jpg

th_DSCF1782.jpg

they are my heart dogs now, having owned my first coolie I can't imagine life without one. They are too smart for their own good though and cause me great laughs :eek: Only this morning Flash was lying on the floor looking at the cats intently under the bed, I told him to stop it and get on the bed. he jumped on the bed, he is very obedient, but then proceeded to hang over it looking at the cats intently under the bed :clap: only a coolie would think to do that :cry:

I will always revere the German Koolie..............My husband was saved from a raging bull when he fell in a yard, whilst unloading bulls. A friend's Koolie ran into the yard and grabbed the Bull by the nose and held on. Our Blue Heller came from behind and they both kept the bull busy whilst hubby was helped out with only one broken rib. So For the German Koolie

that story is lovely Newfsie. i know my boy would protect me to the end of the earth.

Aussie3, coolies can come in short, medium and long coat. Have a look at the thread that is "difference between aussies and borders" because Perry's Mum has posted some pictures of the different coats of coolies in that.

that story is lovely Newfsie. i know my boy would protect me to the end of the earth.

Aussie3, coolies can come in short, medium and long coat. Have a look at the thread that is "difference between aussies and borders" because Perry's Mum has posted some pictures of the different coats of coolies in that.

Ahh, thank you :offtopic:

Makes more sense now!

I will always revere the German Koolie..............My husband was saved from a raging bull when he fell in a yard, whilst unloading bulls. A friend's Koolie ran into the yard and grabbed the Bull by the nose and held on. Our Blue Heller came from behind and they both kept the bull busy whilst hubby was helped out with only one broken rib. So For the German Koolie

That's a lovely story. Your husband was lucky indeed.

When I was a child I had a book about true dog stories (I still have it!!) and there was a similar story about a plucky Jack Russell whose elderly owner slipped whilst walking in a field (in England) and a bull happened to come into the field from a nearby paddock and charged her. She had hurt herself in the fall and the brave little dog took the bull by the nose and distracted it away from the old woman until some farmers heard her calls and were able to help.

The little dog was given a Bravery Award.

• 7 months later...

Australian Koolie is the correct name for them now here are a couple of my koolies

Little Roc solid red

IMG_2789.jpg

Cruise Chocolate & white merle and Coopers chocolate merle bob tail yes they come with bob tails as well

IMG_3409.jpg

Connie Red merle

IMG_3400.jpg

Dance black merle

IMG_3418.jpg

Molly blue merle

IMG_3399.jpg

Edited by royalla