Dog Pen

Nevafollo

Hi all,

Just after abit of advise, I need a pen for shows for the pointer I have been looking at the C-crate secura pens these http://www.ccrates.com.au/store/index.htm?83.htm&1 for those who dont know but found these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MEDIUM-Enclosed-Pet...=item5ad5cbe0c4 ones on ebay obviously there is a large price difference. I am happy to pay the extra for the c-crate pen if its going to be worth it in the long run but if the ebay one is of decent quality aswell I may as well save a few dollars! So can anyone tell me the good bad and ugly in regards to these pens? :thumbsup:

Edited to fix the links!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

I have been looking at that brand myself (the eBay one), currently have a Bona Fido brand one which is fine but not as 'smooth' as the C-Crate IMO. Definitely not the same quality but does the same job :thumbsup: Never actually seen the eBay type in person though... but it looks shiny :(

Just have to make sure it will fit in your car/trailer when folded up. We use ours when camping and have it 'permanently' set up with tent pegs in the ground just to ensure it's secure.

I have been looking at that brand myself (the eBay one), currently have a Bona Fido brand one which is fine but not as 'smooth' as the C-Crate IMO. Definitely not the same quality but does the same job :( Never actually seen the eBay type in person though... but it looks shiny ;)

Just have to make sure it will fit in your car/trailer when folded up. We use ours when camping and have it 'permanently' set up with tent pegs in the ground just to ensure it's secure.

Yeah not sure that it will fit in the trailer but will definately fit in the car.

Trying to decided wether to get the pointer that and another soft crate or just that...its so hard spending $$ on the dogs, NOT! :thumbsup:

A friend of mine has one of the gold ones Sammy and its effing heavy.. far heavier than its Ccrate equivalent.

Check the weight before you buy either one.

ooo thanx for that, I have sent a question in regards to weight to see if its alot heavier than the ccrate ones. One reason I want on is because I cant keep lugging her MASSIVE metal crate everywhere I swear it weights like 30kilos its sooo freaking heavy and my arms are still aching from carrying it around this weekend...that and trying to contain the very excited pointee who insisted on bounce bounce bouncing everywhere we went! :thumbsup:

A friend of mine has one of the gold ones Sammy and its effing heavy.. far heavier than its Ccrate equivalent.

ooo thanx for that, I have sent a question in regards to weight to see if its alot heavier than the ccrate ones. One reason I want on is because I cant keep lugging her MASSIVE metal crate everywhere I swear it weights like 30kilos its sooo freaking heavy and my arms are still aching from carrying it around this weekend...that and trying to contain the very excited pointee who insisted on bounce bounce bouncing everywhere we went! :thumbsup:

Get a little hand trolley?? I just plonk our pen ontop of the show trolley and wheel it around. Or carry it if I don't have far to go- but this is difficult not because it's heavy, but because it's wide and I'm short so it's only about an inch of the ground when tucked under my armpit so it often bangs into the ground which hurts :(

Get a little hand trolley?? I just plonk our pen ontop of the show trolley and wheel it around. Or carry it if I don't have far to go- but this is difficult not because it's heavy, but because it's wide and I'm short so it's only about an inch of the ground when tucked under my armpit so it often bangs into the ground which hurts :(

Oh good thinking, will have a show trolley in a few weeks if all goes well so I guess weight wont be that big of a deal as it can go in or on that.

I'm a Ccrate fan - wouldn't have anything else.

It helps too that Great Rugs will make a cover to order for any Ccrate crate or pen.. makes them much warmer in winter. :thumbsup:

The look a like ones are the same sizes generally so you can get the crate/pen covers, my pen is the exact same size as the largest CCrate.

LOL why pay $300 for the same thing but different name for $100-$200 cheaper?

I have a CCrate look-a-like for my Dane and have no problems with it's quality of strength.

Was it like the one off ebay or are there others around?

I got mine from a dog show.

Kicking myself because at the xmas show last year they had all size pens for $110...realllly kicking myself :thumbsup:

It helps too that Great Rugs will make a cover to order for any Ccrate crate or pen.. makes them much warmer in winter. :(

The look a like ones are the same sizes generally so you can get the crate/pen covers, my pen is the exact same size as the largest CCrate.

This is what I keep thinking, its really is a big price difference!

I have a CCrate look-a-like for my Dane and have no problems with it's quality of strength.

Was it like the one off ebay or are there others around?

I got mine from a dog show.

Kicking myself because at the xmas show last year they had all size pens for $110...realllly kicking myself :thumbsup:

It helps too that Great Rugs will make a cover to order for any Ccrate crate or pen.. makes them much warmer in winter. :(

This is what I keep thinking, its really is a big price difference!

Considering I have a Dane and I have the pen without the floor, I can vouch for the quality, look exactly like the CCrates, wouldn't suprise me if they're made the same way or by the same people lol

i have 2 c crates & 2 alternate.

The alternate drives me troppo,weighs a tonne & the roof latches are a royal pain & the door is to small for the size of the pen but we brought it second for a bargain.

MyC crates are way lighter,the doors are big .My oldest is about 12 yrs old & used every weekend.

the one pictured has alot of bulky latch things that i could say getting caught or pulled off/bent when packing & that door would put me off with the raised height of the ground.

I have a trolley to cart them to the ring but the weight difference even lifting into the car or on the rack on the float is quite considerable.

Our dog shop sells some similiar to C crate that look very reasonable

What did you end up getting? I'm deciding between taking two crates or a pen to training/trials. I really like the ccrates secura pen but it's like double the price of another one I'm thinking about getting :) .

I have had the secura-pen made from Bona Fida.

Some of the older C-crate ones (I am not sure if they still do) were galvanised. So better if it is going to be left out in the weather.

The secra-pen one I had> not a lot of difference from the C-crate one, except it was only Chrome coated. So if left out in the weather, would probably rust and the chrome coming off quicker. The Secra pen was $150 or there abouts compared to the double of the C-crate one.

I have lifted both and they seem very similar in strength and weight.

I do not know about the ebay ones. I got mine from a show van. I know also Petwise here in Qld, sell the Bona Fida ones.