Can't Even Walk Down My Street!

Crazy Daisy

I must admit I sometimes stop and let my dog sniff the other dog through the fence/gate but only with dogs I know are friendly and are barking in excitement rather than guarding. If a dog was seriously going off behind a fence I would and DO just keep walking past and distract my dog - why would you want to stop if the dog is clearly not wanting you to???

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my dog pulls on lead while we're walking, I stop and make her heel before we start off again.

Usually what makes her pull on lead is when we're passing a house with a dog going off on the other side of the fence, so I'll stop and get her to heel and then keep going.

If somebody told me I wasn't allowed to stop on the footpath and to "keep walking" and their wife then called me an idiot, I wouldn't be too impressed either. Bit harsh, IMO.

ETA: The footpath / nature strip / street is public property. People can walk or stop or chat or do up their shoelaces or let another walker overtake them or do all those normal footpathy type things :eek:

IMO you can't really try to move somebody along just because they're outside your house and your dog is behaving badly.

Unless they're actually entering your property or deliberately taunting your dog. Or having a nature strip party or something :o

Edited by Sam&Saki

If my dog pulls on lead while we're walking, I stop and make her heel before we start off again.

Usually what makes her pull on lead is when we're passing a house with a dog going off on the other side of the fence, so I'll stop and get her to heel and then keep going.

Same here. I'll sometimes even do a U turn and walk them past again to make sure the lesson has stuck.

I don't let them approach the barking dog/s but I don't feel obliged to keep moving either, if I want to use it as a training opportunity I do.

IMO you can't really try to move somebody along just because they're outside your house and your dog is behaving badly.

Unless they're actually entering your property or deliberately taunting your dog. Or having a nature strip party or something :o

I would say that dog going off on the other side of the fence is a good reason to keep walking. I would also say that the girl stopping and allowing her dog up to the fence while he is going nuts is akin to taunting.

Husband asked her to keep walking ( our dog was told to shut up but girl just stood there with her dog - our dog was getting upset with her dog coming up to the fence), then owner of other dog abused my husband.

Husband had tried to call off our dog. He wasn't going to listen while stupid girl stood there with her dog playing dumb. She wasn't calling her dog to heel before she moved, she wasn't doing anything except getting my dog worked up.

Girl continued to stand there like an idiot after she was asked nicely to keep on walking.

I wasn't out there so I didn't call her an idiot to her face, but I'll certainly call her an idiot now.

Also, before we had our dog yard built we always wondered why he went nuts at 4pm every afternoon. After that incident we found out why. I kept a watch. She did the same thing every day. I would have to put her well and truly in the idiot box... particularly since it's also a very wide footpath and no reason to come so close to the fence... even if she stayed on the concrete.

ETA: She certainly wasn't using it as a training opportunity. I get the feeling she just thought it was funny.

Edited by Ashanali

Barking dogs don't worry me when I walk Scout.

It's the ones that roam free that make me cranky.

ETA: I know the houses where there are dogs that run up to the fence. I just make a wider space between me and the fence line. It's not that hard to do :o

Edited by black magic

I hate it too, and find it totally inappropriate. If I had a dog that did that fence run stuff, I'd NOT allow it in the front garden!

I cant even walk on my own place!!!! I,m sitting here reading dol waiting to walk my dogs, hoping the neighbor and her little foxie thing who walks up the track on our property each day has been and gone. Cause yesterday Pepper chased the little dog and got a smack....... blast now its raining .

Who 'smacked' your dog??? :heart:

Me! as she was very naughty chasing a little dog and she wouldn't come back when I called.

my understanding is that your dog would have NO IDEA why it felt the sting of your hand when she returned to you ... what she will likely recall tho in the future is that when she does return to you, she might feel pain...

unacceptable

JMHO

I cant even walk on my own place!!!! I,m sitting here reading dol waiting to walk my dogs, hoping the neighbor and her little foxie thing who walks up the track on our property each day has been and gone. Cause yesterday Pepper chased the little dog and got a smack....... blast now its raining .

Who 'smacked' your dog??? :laugh:

Me! as she was very naughty chasing a little dog and she wouldn't come back when I called.

I wouldn't come back either if I knew I would get smacked when I did.

OMG! No! Never smack your dog for not coming back to you! I see that so often and then the owners wonder why the dog won't come when they're called. It's pretty obvious really. What's the incentive???

Smacking dogs, if ever done, should be reserved for only very serious situations IMO and even then you've gotta know what you're doing.

If you want your dog to come back instead of chasing something, you need to make it more FUN to return to you than it is to chase the other dog. Screaming, yelling, smacking etc achieves the opposite. Don't let her off the lead before she is trained to recall for a start. But sometimes it happens by accident so you need to know how you're going to get her back (hopefully). And keep in mind she's not being "naughty" she's just having fun and not understanding what you want.

My newly adopted untrained dog accidentally pulled the lead out of my hand the other day while walking through a forest and started trotting happily off up the track. I said "Oh shit" and a friend who was with me immediately panicked and roared "TANGO GET BACK HERE" and started chasing him. I told her to stop and don't yell. Then I ran in the opposite direction calling "Look Look! What's this Tango, what's over here!!!" in the silliest brightest voice I could manage and then stopped and pretended to be interested in something in the bushes. Tango came back to see what was so interesting in the bushes and I gave him a million pats and quietly picked up the end of the lead. Unfortunately I didn't have any treats with me :heart: because that would have been the best thing to do when he came back, but I'll remember to take them next time!!!

Even I was shocked at how easily I got him back (don't know if it will always be that easy LOL) but if my friend had gone chasing after him and yelling like he was going to get a thrashing I can guarantee I'd never have found him again.

brilliant! :angel:

Actually, I'm going to go against the OP here, and say that I love it when I have dogs barking in the street and acting like nuts behind their fences. The reason? Excellent training opportunities for my dogs to learn that even when you have a silly thing going off behind its fence, you ignore it. Thats what top dogs do :laugh: So we go looking for streets like that!

it's the same with me ... i don't venture too far from base but there are plenty of vocal dogs in my neighbourhood and i too use it as a training tool ... bella acknowledges them but is happy to move on whereas byron i think is single-minded and defensive...

i'll cry the day i crack his code :heart: