Purebred Is Best But What About Other Pets?

Wilderblu

I just can't do it with cats. I'm a sucker for rescuing them. :D It makes me cringe to think of adding to the cat population.

I really wanted to get a Bengal, I think they're lovely, but when it came down to the crunch I couldn't go through with it.

Edited by FD26

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 Pedigree dog (the only pedigree dog i have ever had).

2 Border Collies, pure (working line) but not pedigree.

1 Cross Breed

1 Moggie.

I have had in the past both moggies and Purebred cats (Rescue Persian, lived til she was about 18 years old). I will have both Pedigree, pure and mutts/ moggies in the future.

Edited by Clover

I would never even consider getting a purebred dog, when there are thousands of dogs that are just as good being sent off for euthanasia and terminal surgeries. I would much rather adopt a post-research dog or cat from a university, or one from a survival surgery.

A few of you have said that you have purebred fish, what do you mean? There are only a few species of fish that have "breeds", like betas and goldfish, maybe koi. All other fish (to my knowledge) are seperate species, not breeds, and only SOME species can interbreed, like Endler's guppies and guppies, and I think some African cichlids. Other than that, I'm not sure what you mean about breeds?

Interesting how peoples attitudes vary, like purebred dog but love a moggy.

As a cat breeder I love all cats but wonder about the hardiness of the moggy.

Specific cat breeds have a tendency to certain hereditary things that can be tested for the same as dogs. Blood incompatibility within a few too so parent cats have to be blood typed before mating. Cross breeding is frowned upon.

As moggy's are not bred specifically but rather in feral cat situations or by accident when owned it is unknown how many die at birth due to genetic factors or if they are prone to certain things the same as purebreds. It may simply be a case of survival of the fittest. Doubt reliable statistics/studies are available on this question.

I have a pure bred rat.

Moggies have heaps of problems, feline aids being on eof them.

But feline aids is not genetically inherited is it? I believe it is a virus, not a genetic fault.

You haven't spent much time on Cat World :laugh: Mongrel cat breeding isn't received very well on there! Newbie breeders get put through the ringer too. Actually reckon the cat people are more scary than dog people!

Sam&saki you get big differences in horse height and shapes too.

No, I must admit I haven't. :D Cat breeders scare me!

A question for those who say they have "purebred" rats, mice, birds or guines pigs.... can you define what purebred is in these animals? Do you have pedigree papers that show the parentage? Are they registered with a body that keeps records of ancestory?

I've got two purebred dogs one that's a bitser

three purebred tb's and one tbxqh, i never really put too much thought into weather I wanted purebred dogs or horses I knew when I got my BC their were characteristics of the breed that I wanted but with the other dogs and horses I somewhat ended up with them.

Not sure if I would say purebred is best I think it comes down to a personal choice, agree wtih Mirawee though there is a fair ammount of controversy surrounding cross breeding horses which i support as I've seen alot of porely conformed cross breds out there.

I can speak for pedigree chickens.

You see, many backyard chooks these days are hybrids, bred for prolific egg laying. However, I believe the statistic is that 3 breeds of livestock are lost each month, due to the fact that hybrids are so popular. There are many rare, beautiful breeds that are also good egg layers, that really need to be preserved.

I was originally going to buy hybrids, but have decided on buying not only purebred but 'breeds in need', so to speak - rare breeds that are at risk of extinction.

People may think, 'well, if I don't have a rooster and don't plan to breed, how would I be preserving rare breeds if I bought them?'

The answer is quite simple really - if there are people out there willing to buy these endangered breeds, there will be people out there breeding them.

Poultry clubs tend to be particularly friendly, helpful people passionate about preserving pure breeds and more than willing to help out newcomers. I myself recently attended a meeting for the Bendigo Poutry Club and they were all such lovely people, who gave me contacts for breeders to bred good examples of the breeds I'm interested in. Heck, I may even join the club and show my own chickens someday :laugh:

I would also add that I think the view on purebred cats is similar to that with dogs. Many people can't be stuffed desexing their moggies, who end up going out, breeding, and producing more strays and crossbreds for shelters to deal with. If I were to get a cat, it would be much the same as my dog policy - either registered ethical breeder, or a rescue.

Purebred GSD, and 2 x moggies, all of my girls are rescues, the cats were from a shelter, and the dog "free to good home" with a bit of a sad backstory.

Should I ever get another dog, will go to an ethical registered breeder, or adopt a purebred from a shelter, but yep, i'm a breedist, I love crossbreed dogs, I'd just prefer to own Purebreds.

Cats, I will only even adopt from a shelter due to the ever-exploding cat population that I don't want to contribute to by buying a cat from a breeder. But that's just me - each to their own.

Irregardless of species I think all animals should be purebred from an ethical registered breeder, or rescued from shelters.

I have always had purebred dogs bar 1.

However 6 have been registered and 3 haven't

1 X pedigree British Shorthair

1 X moggy.

I do not think I will have any more cats, but if I did I wouldn't necessarily get a purebred one. My absolute love of my life cat was a siamese cross.

Incidentally My British had a Persian in his pedigree either 3 or 4 generations back but is considered pure and has a brother that was shown and done very well.

My Sheep are rescues

1 X orphaned 2nd cross Damara

1 X rescued merino - so I have been told!

My horses are a

Purebred Clydesdale - rescued not registered that I know of

1st cross QH - whom I bred from my TB mare. He is exactly what I was aiming for

Palomino Mare - registered

My Guinea pigs are not pedigree or rego'd, however a friend of mine now breeds them.

Having said that she was explaining to me the other day that the Cavy Association registers breeders, but not individual animals. So your "pure" something can actually have a different coat type/colured parent or grandparent. You may have a red self smooth that has a black grandparent (actually done to strengthen and deepen the red colour) Or in the case of another Cavy a long haired Grandparent in a short smooth type of cavy that then went on to produce babies with coats that were not correct for his type.

Chooks - 4 definate cross breds and goodness knows what they have in them

2 X Chinese Silkies that re not papered and rather large for Bantams!

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I really admire purebred cats, but i have always had moggys. My last was from a rescue and if i ever get another cat, it will be a PB from a registered breeder, or it will be a rescue. Just the same as i won't support BYB puppies, i won't do the same with cats.

I can't speak for hte rest, although if i decided to get a rabbit, rat or guinea pig again, I'd look for a registered breeder as again i won't support pet shops.

I bred & showed Exhibition Budgerigars for almost 10 years - the main difference in buying a Budgie is if it is from show stock or not. Totally different birds to look at. Most of my home bred birds never saw the inside of a pet shop.

Now days we only have the dogs (Keeshonds. Lhasa Apsos and an Amstaff) and fish (Goldfish & Bettas).

So all pure bred here!

What makes a Budgie eligible for exhibition? Are they papered?

A little off-topic but an elderly gentleman down the road sells budgies.... his sign proudly displayed out the front says "Baby Bubgies" for sale. :eek: 6 years on and I still have a gigle everytime I read it. :eek:

Nope no papers as such, but they must be rung with a registered and numbered ring from the Budgerigar Society. The rings go on at a few days old, you cant put them on an older bird. The ring tells you what year the bird was born in and their number.

http://www.budgerigar.com.au/hills/index.htm These are some show birds from the Club I used to belong to.

Edited by Rysup

We have two crossbred dogs, one crossbred cat and two crossbred bantam chooks. We had only very basic requirements in mind when we got these animals so didn't need to go the purebred route.

For our next dogs and cats I would like at least one purebred of each. The next planned pet purchase at this stage is a kitten for my son in a several years' time. I'll be researching cat breeds to try to find one that would be suitable as a young boy's pet. When the dogs cross the bridge I'll look for a purebred or a very specific rescue to meet our requirements.

As for the chooks, I'm very tempted by purebreds, but have a brother who breeds his own crossbreds and is always happy to give them away. Every time I talk about buying some more chooks, all I hear is "Get a couple from R." They're great little chooks so it's hard to say no.

But then, how do you determine ancestory and such?

Your own records basically. Back when I was involved we had paper records only, and I still had those until recently. Nowdays there are programs much like dog pedigree programs. You would record the birds ring number and year and that is its ID as such. And if you buy from a good breeder, then you would be able to get your birds pedigree. They just dont look quite as impressive without names. But I am sure you would list all their wins.

I bred a couple of Grand Champions and had some really good wins. I miss the birds, but can no longer keep birds due to having developed an allergy to them!

Your own records basically. Back when I was involved we had paper records only, and I still had those until recently. Nowdays there are programs much like dog pedigree programs. You would record the birds ring number and year and that is its ID as such. And if you buy from a good breeder, then you would be able to get your birds pedigree. They just dont look quite as impressive without names. But I am sure you would list all their wins.

I bred a couple of Grand Champions and had some really good wins. I miss the birds, but can no longer keep birds due to having developed an allergy to them!

Thanks. I assume it might be a similar thing with chooks and other feathered friends?

Does anyone know about rats and guinea pigs though??

Thanks. I assume it might be a similar thing with chooks and other feathered friends?

Does anyone know about rats and guinea pigs though??

A few of my rats were from breeders who were members of the state Rat Fancy (listed as breeders, but not *registered* like with the ANKC I don't believe), and the rats came with pretty extensive pedigrees (one was about 10 gens) but were not registered like dogs/cats are.