Purebred Is Best But What About Other Pets?

Wilderblu

3 purebred dogs (one unreg but from purebred reg breeder)

1 muttly dog

1 moggy from the AWL

My own cats when I move out of home will be purebreds or rescued purebreds. You really have little idea about a moggy's temp when you get them as kittens. Plus there are some gorgeous purebreds out there!

Dogs will be purebreds from now on, of course.

Was thinking about getting a rabbit but have decided I don't have enough time for one, but was going to get one from an ethical responsible breeder.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im a cat person and keep birds too

feel the same about backyard breeders and crossbreeding

my cats are purebred and i dont support hybrid bird breeding...like crossing galahs with corellas etc

dont like when people breed budgies indiscrimantly

the same passion we have about dogs here exists in the other animal forums....good practice and no breeding for the sake of it

Why would anyone want to ethically 'breed' moggies? Go to any shelter and take your pick of dozens of lovely kittens. I believe most kittens are a product of their upbringing. All of my fosters have been strays, some even from feral mothers, and they have grown into lovely cats.

Purebred dogs. I like the predictability, and the fact they are similar. I know what I like, and what I can live with. By having purebred, I am guaranteed that I will be happy with my choice, and it's looks, temperament and personality will please me, because it's known. I have had 3 x breds, and although I loved them, I found them not as satisfactory as the purebred dogs. Temperament and health issues.

Like purebred cats too, for the same reason. However, have had both moggies and pure over the years. The difference between x bred dogs and x bred cats is that a cat is a cat, and although there is some variety, the variety is not endless, as it is when you consider the range of dogs, temperament, coats etc between Chihuahua and Irish Wolfhound.

With a moggie, you are usually saving a life, and it's free or really cheap, (or someone chucked it over the fence, and you couldn't wish it onto someone else) so your expectations are not so high. I am very partial to Himalyans (sp), Birmans and Rag Dolls, but I seem to have ended up with more moggies, because they are dumped on me. I have two middleaged torti girls at the moment. They will probably be the last. My two favourite cats were a himmy and a ginger moggie. We had more on the property.

Birds (2) are from a breeder, have had canaries, always from a breeder, and an Alexandrine, also from a breeder.

Rats, mice and guinea pigs - usually from the kids down the road :laugh:

I don't think ducks come in cross bred, or am I just a duck snob?? Mallards and Cayugas. Coz they are pretty. And Pekins, coz you have to have them. And they have huge personalities. We had a drake who would pull at your clothes with his beak for attention and loved to be stroked and picked up. He'd come if called, even if there was no food in the offing.

Chooks - hmm, I like to rescue worn out battery hens - fancy having to live your whole life in a stinking little cage. What I like most about battery hens is when you get them home, and put them on the ground, they sit there for ages, gazing at the sky in awe, the grass, and everything else for quite a long time before gingerly trying out this whole new world. And in a week, they are behaving like real chooks. And I hate to see trucks full of them going to the abbatoirs at only 12 or 18 months old. Why not bring them home, and give them years of good chook-life? And they repay by laying heaps of eggs, and running around eating grubs and things in return.

I've had some roosters of one breed or another, but roosters being what they are, before long all the chickens are mongrels~! ;) Although I did have some Indian Game Fowl for a while, and they bred on.

And I can't help myself, I was breeding some rather spiffy little bantams with very feathery legs, and having a great deal of pleasure from crossing them for colours and feathers. And I bred some terribly handsome big roosters, people used to come and take them, and show them, and they did very well, but they were accidents rather than purpose bred.

Goats - bit of each, Saanan, feral, and Nubian.

Sheep - yep, had wool, must have been a sheep. Liked to sleep on the bed!! And the pig - Lennie - hmm, he fell off a truck, so I don't know what he was .. but not purebred, Landrace x I think.

He was a nice pig.

From a question a few pages back....

Its the same with budgies and guinea pigs. There are clubs that oversee shows etc. There is a huge difference between exhibition budgies/guinea pigs than the ones you see in pet shops. Thats why I support breeders only as they are actually trying to breed to a standard and generally trying to do the right thing rather than just putting together 2 mongrels in their backyard.

I prefer the look of the purebreds.