My Dogs Have Killed A Snake And Eaten The Head

Chocolate

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A close friend has two kids and a large golden retriever. They live out in the sticks and ofter the kids and the dog would be playing in the paddocks. She always reminded the kids that if they saw a snake they were to throw themselves in between the snake and Billy (the GR) as anti-vemon was free for them but it would cost $1000's to treat Billy at the vets! :cheer: .....She was only half joking!!!! :thumbsup:

It's unfortunate but the dishonest people who give false addresses and don't pay their bills have made it this way. :thumbsup:

That's true :cheer:

A couple of years ago a young friend of mine had his two dogs poisoned. They drove 20 minutes to Murdoch (late night) rushing to get the dogs there ASAP to get treatment - and in the rush my young friend (he was 18 or 19 at the time) and his grandfather who he was living with - had forgotten to take a wallet with them. Murdoch refused to treat the dogs until one of them went home and got a credit card :cheer:

My experience however was a little different. I had to take a dog there at 2am in the morning as he was obviously distressed and in pain - they put him to sleep and then asked for payment.

I now go to Balcatta 24 hour vets as I have also lost a dog there and their service was far superior.

Glad your dogs are OK Chocolate, dreadful fright for you, and yes, do look into insurance, I wouldn't be without it.

Lab Rat the Emergency Vet is Murdoch University, nothing else is open in the evening in Perth and the tests they were a blood clot and urine test from a snake testing kit, very expensive I agree. Your country vet was GREAT pulling your dog through for minimal mark up Murdoch is quite different in that respect. I'm certainly going to be investigating pet insurance now.

Depends on what side of the river you are of course :cheer: But pretty sure VetWest in Hillarys are open until 10.00pm weeknights, Balcatta Vet Hospital is open 24 / 7 and Ocean Keys Veterinary Hospital offers a 24hr emergency service (heard great things about this vet but not used them :cheer: ).

Ordered my pet insurance on Sunday :thumbsup:

Edited by ~JoLu~

So glad your dogs are ok, how scary for you, do you live in the suburbs or on more of a rural property,

i only ask as I live in the armadale area and today I had a dream about a gazillion brown snakes trying to bite me and then I got bitten, I woke up petrified :thumbsup: Im not a big fan of snakes and I didnt even know we got brown snakes here and are they easy to tell the difference between them and a dugite?

Having worked in many clinics it is not a nice situation to have to ask anyone to have to pay upfront, but unfortunatly not everyone is as honest as you may think and if bills don't get paid vets can not operate a clinic. You would be horrified by the amount of people that promise and swear on their life the bill will be paid and it never is.

Sad but true. I work for Australia Post and I see a fair share of Letters from Veterninary Clinics sent back marked "return to sender" no longer at this address. I'm sure they are bills as most send cute postcard type letters for vaccination reminders. :laugh:

So glad your dogs are ok, how scary for you, do you live in the suburbs or on more of a rural property,

i only ask as I live in the armadale area and today I had a dream about a gazillion brown snakes trying to bite me and then I got bitten, I woke up petrified :laugh: Im not a big fan of snakes and I didnt even know we got brown snakes here and are they easy to tell the difference between them and a dugite?

Dugites are a brown snake, and I believe we also have a western brown as well.

I have a bitch that got bitten twice within 12 months - cost me $1200 each time which has to be paid upfront BEFORE they will administer the anti-venom!!! :o

:eek:

Omg that is horrible. My dog would die.

1. Because I don't have $1200 in my bank most of the time

2. Because my daily transaction limit is $800 so even if it was in there I wouldn't have immediate access.

Thats really frightening

Most places do take a deposit straight up. As long as you are paying them something..

Oh, i forgot to add

Chocolate.. I'm glad your dog is getting better :)

Edited by charleswentworth

Glad to hear everything is ok, you must be so relieved it is an awful feeling.

My Buster has had three bites, the last two where within 5 days of each other last Nov and both Browns.

First a/c was about $1100, second was $2600, he needed two antivenene's and blood, then a blood transfusion on the second.

He's aged so much though since the last two.

PS I can understand Vets wanting payment up front, thank-fully my vet didn't i just blurted i have pet insurance and they went ahead.

My vet thinks I'm wealthy. I can understand how they have come to that conclusion. I think my vet is wealthy for the same reason.

But seriously, if you don't have pet insurance - self-insure. Put something away somewhere safe and do not touch it even to get the power re-connected or to fix your broken down car. Assume that one day your dog will get sick and will need emergency care and that it will cost you about $2000. That's the amount I just gave my vet last week for emergency surgery, for the third time in this dog's life. If it isn't emergency surgery, it will be something else, like long-term medication.

I have a bitch that got bitten twice within 12 months - cost me $1200 each time which has to be paid upfront BEFORE they will administer the anti-venom!!! :o

:eek:

Omg that is horrible. My dog would die.

1. Because I don't have $1200 in my bank most of the time

2. Because my daily transaction limit is $800 so even if it was in there I wouldn't have immediate access.

Thats really frightening

A bit OT, but just in case this helps (personally I prefer insurance), but PTD, those withdrawal limits are on our cards, not on our accounts. I found this out last year. So, if you ever find yourself in said situation, as long as you have a 2nd card linked to that same account, you can withdraw more funds, over and above the limit, another $800. So, get a 2nd card if you have not got one already, just in case.

But, like you say, you may not have over $800 in there anyway.

I have a card for each account, then I went to the atm and linked them all to each other as well. So, they all have multiple uses and there is just about no limit. Having said that, I have never had to use this benefit.

Just a tip for emergencies. :)

Oh, sorry chocolate, I mean to say, I am very relieved that your dogs are OK.

Edited by dyzney