What Meat Do You Give Your Dog/dogs?

I used to buy diced lamb for Sam even though it was quite expensive then changed to lamb forequarter chops/lamb shanks as not so pricey ( and cutting the meat off them). For the last few times I've just been buying the lamb offcuts from Coles or Woolies but wonder if it is really worth it. I know it is only say $2.99 a kg but by the time you cut out the edible pieces of meat and throw out all the fat and bits of bones (which I don't consider safe for Sam to eat) 3/4 of it is put in the bin. Actually for ourselves lately to make a casserole/stew I've been buying a roast leg of lamb and cutting it up. Maybe I should be using some of this for Sam. Any suggestions how to buy lamb or any other meat for that matter that won't break the bank?

I used to buy diced lamb for Sam even though it was quite expensive then changed to lamb forequarter chops/lamb shanks as not so pricey ( and cutting the meat off them). For the last few times I've just been buying the lamb offcuts from Coles or Woolies but wonder if it is really worth it. I know it is only say $2.99 a kg but by the time you cut out the edible pieces of meat and throw out all the fat and bits of bones (which I don't consider safe for Sam to eat) 3/4 of it is put in the bin. Actually for ourselves lately to make a casserole/stew I've been buying a roast leg of lamb and cutting it up. Maybe I should be using some of this for Sam. Any suggestions how to buy lamb or any other meat for that matter that won't break the bank?

I'm in Sydney. I get Strictly Organic pet mince. You can get organic lamb, organic chicken or organic beef for $7/kilo. I think it comes from Qld so you might find it cheaper. I'm a vego so the only meat I buy is for the animals so maybe it just seems a reasonable price to me???? Also I only own small dogs but I do have 4. I mix the meat with veg etc so a kilo probably lasts them a week (dinners only).

Di

Roo. Free range, organic, lean and cheap :thumbsup: I pay $3 per kilo

Kei was sick the other week and had to be put on a bland diet of chicken and veg for almost 2 weeks. I only buy free range chicken and he was going through almost 1kg per day. Not cheap! :cheer:

So glad we are back to the roo again!

Roo. Free range, organic, lean and cheap :thumbsup: I pay $3 per kilo

Kei was sick the other week and had to be put on a bland diet of chicken and veg for almost 2 weeks. I only buy free range chicken and he was going through almost 1kg per day. Not cheap! :cheer:

So glad we are back to the roo again!

Sounds like one Kei weighs more than all of mine together!

D

Dogs don't need the finest cuts of meat, nor do they appreciate the expense.

Mine get a pet mince from the butchers, which is basically all their offcuts and offal minced together, no preservatives added. I bag it into serving sizes and add eggs, raw veges, rice, oil and other goodies to it.

They also get raw meaty bones.....lamb and chicken mainly as well as the occasional treat of ox-tails.

Ask your local butcher about pet mince. Mine charges $1.49 kg. I purchase it in 6 kg lots.

Mine get mince from a butcher who just happens to breed dog so chops his mince to suit his likes. Pretty much everything that is leftover, coarsely minced with some vegetables in it usually as well...

Being in Tasmania, we are not legally supposed to feed offal but I'm sure people do feed human grade offal and just make sure their dogs are properly wormed against Hydatids. I don't. I'm not brave (or is that stupid) enough.

Other meat I give is chicken (of course) rabbit (when I can get it cheaply), venison (occasionally), roo (occasionally - it gives a couple of mine the squits), free range pork and of course the crew often catch the odd possum as well. I'm fortunate to have a country butcher nearby and also a bambi breeder who sells meat for pets.

Most of the time it is just the meatiest bones I can give. Dogs really don't need meat without the bones as much as they need raw MEATY bones!

I'm in the process of trying to negotiate a second fridge and a freezer so if that happens, I'll be switching over to (I hope) a full-on BARF diet as against the 3/4 raw, 1/4 dry that I'm currently using.

Roo, turkey, beef and chicken... My spoilt brat loves fresh tuna and salmon too (but only has that when we have it and he gets some of mine)....

All human grade and often organic.

His meat is always cooked as he has cancer and it is better cooked for cancer dogs

Oops...yep, forgot the fish content. I buy bags of fish soupbones from the market for $1 each and they get those at least once per week too. As well as tins of sardines and mackerels (in oil). And of course, any leftovers if I happen to cook fish for the family as well.

It's actually quite amusing to watch the dogs and cats squaring off against each other in the "hunt" for the fishy remains! :(

I feed ox heart, kidney and liver. I am lucky enough to know someone who works at a meatworks, so I get it in bulk, by the box. Then I just cut it into whatever size pieces I want (my dogs are large so I cut into big enough pieces that they have to chew it and give their teeth & jaws a workout) and bag and freeze it. It is actually human grade meat for export so the quality is excellent, and my guys love it! Just last night I chopped and bagged 45kg of hearts and kidneys...cost me $70!!! :(

i buy full blades for around $4 a kilo and chicken mince mixed with vegies and fruit pulp, kangaroo tails(which are very meaty bones) chicken necks, lamb necks, whatever i can get my hands on i suppose with a little fish content in there. i mix flaxseed oil, livamol, protexin,and cider vinegar in their drinking water.

I feed turkey, lamb, beef, roo and goat (all with bones). We buy a whole goat from the butchers for $10/kg... Ends up being about $130 but it lasts a while when they only eats 200g of it a day! The other meats we used to just buy from Woolies or Coles but now that we have a deep freezer we could probably buy them in bulk too.

Edited by TerraNik

I must be broken - I only feed my dogs meat on the bone (chicken wings, chicken necks and lamb necks are the staples). I am way too worried about them not getting enough calcium.

Someone (maybe Nekhbet) said that the finer cuts have less nutritional value than cheaper cuts - less blood and grissle. Mine definitely prefer a lamb neck with the bone, meet, marrow and blood over a prime steak. Much cheaper ($2 per neck) and keeps them entertained for a while.

I buy lamb shanks and offcuts from Coles, but I just feed them whole, I wouldn't bother cutting the meat off. If you're going to do that, you're probably wasting your money buying them in the first place.

Apart from bones I also give him mince (any kind, whatever's on special), sardines, and occasionally he gets a chop or something that's past its use-by date :o

I buy lamb shanks and offcuts from Coles, but I just feed them whole, I wouldn't bother cutting the meat off. If you're going to do that, you're probably wasting your money buying them in the first place.

Isn't the shank bone? too hard. I don't want Sam to break his teeth. I usually buy brisket bones but sometimes there isn't much meat on them.

Roo they catch themselves, chicken wings, human grade mince and lots of lamb flaps that come from meat wholesalers, the flaps are sometimes quite fatty but it shows in their coats. They need the bones Sam the Man, he's a dog thats what he does chew bones..

can I just ask about the chicken wings, do you mean whole chicken wings with the 3 joints? Are the bones any problems with large dogs?

Also, I'm in Perth, so if anyone knows where to get some cheap meat for dogs would you mind passing on the information.