Relatively New To Dog Ownership...

PrincessCharming

Hey

I'm planning to get my first dog that is entirely mine when I'm about nineteen-twenty. (Assuming I'm on a waiting list and have thoroughly researched, may be longer.) I'm seventeen now.

There are breeds I am partial to (mastiffs and Newfs and chihuahuas in particular) But I was wondering if there are some dog breeds better suited for new dog owners? Assuming size and coat is not an issue.

Second one is out of curiosity. What breed was your first dog that was entirely yours? How old were you?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your going to get many opinions here. Some breeds may not be 'ideal' for a owner new to dogs, but an individual may be.

I've seen a lot of beginners start off with Cavalier King Charles, and they seem to fit a large demographic (who are prepared to put in the necessary work)

My first dog was a GSD x Corgi, she was a horrible dog for me as she was so dominant and strong. She never really liked me, even though I took her on big exciting adventures, did training etc. She later went to live with my dad, who she has always adored.. but is still the same strong-willed, disobedient, cranky little.. at twelve years old :laugh:

Are you quiet and shy? loud and extroverted.. and maybe a bit of a leader? Do you live for exercise, or is minimal best? Do you want a cuddly, affectionate dog? or something more independant?

Big difference in size between a mastiff and a Chi :laugh:

I've never owned any of those breeds so can't help you with which would be best for a first time owner, although you have a lot more grooming with a Newf than the other two.

As soon as I moved out of home (18) I wanted a shepherd. I saw one in a pet shop but decided to go to the RSPCA to have a look first and fell in love with a shepherd x kelpie. He turned out to be the best dog. But my first house was a small townhouse with a tiny yard and I had to make sure I walked him three times a day. Morning, night and my then BF now hubby came home from work at lunch to walk him too. We also did obedience on Sundays.

What I'm getting at is it is all good and well to research now but you have no idea in two years where you will be living, it could be a house with a large yard or an apartment. So keep your options open.

Research, research, research.

I would like a dog that would get along with my family cat (if I can convince mum to let him take him with me! haha)

I would like a cuddly dog who is sociable with other pets, and would be happy to play with my moggy as well as a long walk each day.

Edited by PrincessCharming

I would like a cuddly dog who is sociable with other pets, and would be happy to play with my moggy as well as a long walk each day.

You can't guarantee cuddly. Although from personal experience I find my males have always been more willing to have a cuddle than my female dogs. Having a sociable dog that also gets along with cats is how you bring them up. But I would be wary of say a sight hound around a cat.

The chi wouldn't be suitable if you want a dog to go on long walks with.

What breed does older brother like??

Giant breeds are slow to grow/mature so long walks are out for quite awhile?

I guess the key is how keen are you to train a 60kg dog??

Cute & fluffy gets big & powerful without training.

Will it be allowed inside or outside only??

When I was looking into breeds for my first dog, a Newf was high on my list too. I ended up crossing them off because of the relatively demanding grooming requirements. I knew I still wanted a big hairy dog though, and that's when I found Berners :laugh: They turned out to be an absolutely perfect first dog for me (I was 17 when I got Zephyr) and many other Berner owners I know have said the same thing.

If you're willing to put time into training and being a good leader, then a giant breed is definitely "do-able" for a first dog. The main thing to know is to teach them everything from day one as you mean to go on for the rest of their lives. A 12kg Mastiff puppy may be cute climbing onto the couch for a cuddle, but a 100kg Mastiff adult doing the same thing may not be so cute :rofl:

My brother says he is happy with any dog breed as long as it is well trained, hence why I want to research so I can have a well trained, happy dog.

Cuddles I was hoping with socialization would be a package deal. If the dog is well socialized with other dogs, animals and humans, surely they'd like a pat?

I would love a giant breed, and I am willing to put in the work...I actually prefer the large size to puppy size.

I don't really care about fluffy. Can take it or leave it.

I would suggest heading off to a dog show & take brother because no matter what he will play a part in your pups future.

Some dogs aren.t cuddly & you cant make them cuddly,there not stuffed teddies. but will accept pats

We board many Mastiff breeds & i wouldnt call them cuddly.They love there people & there always close buy but not cuddly.

My friend breeds newfs & even those arent what i would call cuddly,again very people orientated & love to please but still happy to have space

I have big dogs who drool which doesnt worry me but many people dislike being covered in slim,slim up the walls,the roof,bench tops,furniture you name it,it dries like a snail trial & sticks like clue.

Besides normal weekly house cleaning a few hrs is spent washing down the walls .

We have boarded alot of Berners do agree they are easier than the other 2 breeds mentioned & i do think more touchy/feely.

I don't think I worded myself properly. I'd like an affectionate dog...If I get a giant breed I don't really want a cuddly one, as my lap can't fit a 100kg dog :laugh:

Luckily my local park always holds dog shows so I've been down four times, yet I'm still finding the breed for me very difficult.

My brother says he is happy with any dog breed as long as it is well trained, hence why I want to research so I can have a well trained, happy dog.

Cuddles I was hoping with socialization would be a package deal. If the dog is well socialized with other dogs, animals and humans, surely they'd like a pat?

I would love a giant breed, and I am willing to put in the work...I actually prefer the large size to puppy size.

I don't really care about fluffy. Can take it or leave it.

Good on you for doing your research! :laugh:

In terms of the giant breeds, the other part to remember is transporting them. Particularly if you want a second dog down the track - do you have a car that is big enough? Or are you happy to buy a car to suit the size of the dog you end up getting. Just something to think about.

You say you want a well trained dog.... Do you also want to do dog sports down the track, like agility, obedience, flyball, tracking, herding, etc? That's also something to keep in mind that might help with your decision.

Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don’t need a dog holding you back, plus you don’t want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don’t know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

Sure, Greyhounds are a little ugly, but they are beautiful on the inside……apparently.

I've wanted a dog my entire life, and I think I've waited long enough for my very own. I am planning on waiting a few years, so if I believe in my heart the timing is wrong, no matter how much I want a dog, I will wait. :confused:

I know my circumstances will change, but I do actually know what my job will be/where i'll be living at that age so IMO it's not a drama. As long as I'm ready for the responsibility, I'll be a good dog owner.

I got a Newfoundland for Christmas shortly after I turned 15 and he was the most amazing, beautiful, perfect dog I ahve ever known and ever will know. Sadly he passed away 2 years ago this May at only 8 and a half years of age due to problems with his hindquarters (however his breeding was questionable to say the least :laugh: ). He will forever be my 'Heart Dog'.

I found him to be stubborn and cheeky but without a mean bone in his body. You have to learn to speak Newf and not require them to do anything that might be seen as detrimental to their nobility :laugh: because, at 55-75kg if they don't wanna do something, they wont :confused: He was so intelligent and seemed to understand whole sentences. But the breed is not for everyone, the drool & coat care are too much for some people, but the personality and general temperament is what sets them apart from all other dogs. They are incredibly special & need to be part of your family and they need respect because if they don't get it- they will sulk and can become destructive, noisy and depressed. Not a pretty sight. However if you are willing to set boundaries and learn to communicate with a Newfoundland (note that I did not say dog), you will have a loving, fiercely loyal, intelligent, charming, hilarious companion for life.

My first very own dog was a Dobermann X from the pound, who I got at 14 weeks old (had been there since 3 weeks), and she was a joint birthday/Christmas present. I was 11. Not the best choice as she had many temperament issues including dog aggression and she was extremely fearful of strangers as well as loud noises etc. Plus she was incredibly strong. So yeah, not the ideal dog for an 11 year old girl but it worked out well and she taught me SO MUCH about dog behaviour and dogs in general.

Wow what a beautiful post Spike!

I am slightly hesitant about newfs as much as I love them as I just have a gut instinct I would mess training up somehow...But that's why we research, learn new breeds, learn how to train, what suits our lifestyle, how we can provide the best home, right?