Dogs For Protection

MyMolly

.Obviously, lots of family pets will "step up" to a point and have proven to do so. I would not suggest it advisable that their owners would then be encouraged to go into potentially dangerous or risky situations relying upon those same dogs (as a security guard on patrol may do), even if they have shown good nerve and willingness to protect in other situations.

yes, what he said.

When I was walking my first male Borzoi off leash in a quiet parkland area (yes he had recall) and some looney jumped from behind a bush, grabbed me where he shouldn't have and tried to push me off my feet, the dog returned unbidden, sent the guy flying and stood between me him. If the guy had drawn a knife or a baseball bat, who knows, but he thought it wiser to retreat. I'd never rely on it, but boy was I grateful.

Edited by Diva

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately I have never been in a situation where my dogs would be put to test. And I hope I never will be in such situation!!!

Once I did a pretend real life scenario with Rex where a guy jumped from behind a car (someone Rex never met before) and attacked me. We kept the distance for the guy not to get hurt but Rex went for him, angry, hackles, barking. Would he bite? dont know, I dare say he would.

Girls - they would definitely nip someone, would they do a full grip and hold - I doubt it.

If they were on lead they would go for it, if they were off lead they would make a lot of noice and probably kept the distance (about 2-3 m)

Divani has nipped peole that walked in to my yard without invitation. Rex once nipped a friend that was play fighting with me in my living room.

Also Divani guards my flatemates car, whenever he takes her with him. Mind you she doesnt guard MY car :provoke:

But my dogs when barking and carrying on certainly put on a good show, good enough for people to take a step back.

Anyone that they have never met before arriving at my front gate moves back several steps and has a sheer horror in their eyes :driving:

Edited by MonElite

Tonight we were in the lounge and there was a loud crash out the back. As usual Mick and Abby went racing out to check and I followed. Now usually our yard light is on but I hadn't been out there since dark so it wasn't turned on. When I got to the back door there were two little bods with their heads sticking out the doggy door barking like mad. Turned the yard light on and out they went ready to kill lol. Scared of the boogy man out in the dark? Think I'll take a big stick next time :driving:

Guess the dark can be scary for a Min Pin and a Silky.

Edited by pebbles

Several years ago on TV's 6 o clock news the headline was " woman attacked by the family Dobermann". The woman needed 30 stitches in her leg and the husband dislocated his elbow trying to pull the dog off her. :laugh:

They'd only had this adult dog 3 months and had been protection/attack trained and what ever the woman did set the dog off. Imagine if it was a child could have resulted in death.

Another person bought a protection/attack trained Rottweiler and was bitten by this dog, this person came to the Rottie Club for help. I was told it took a very long time to DE program this poor dog.

The person was told if you want a dog that will protect you,buy your pup from the club and raise him/her with love and kindness etc.

The person did just that and came back to say the pup he got from the club was more protective as an adult than the other one because this dog protected out of love which IMO is the best kind. :thanks:

They'd only had this adult dog 3 months and had been protection/attack trained and what ever the woman did set the dog off. Imagine if it was a child could have resulted in death.

Another person bought a protection/attack trained Rottweiler and was bitten by this dog, this person came to the Rottie Club for help.

Just to put it into perspective, there are literally thousands of Schutzhund, Ring, security, police and personal protection trained dogs who are also perfectly good family pets. There are also hundreds of cases like this where the owner (or someone else) is bitten by dogs who are not protection trained.

There is also a lot of really ugly, ignorant protection training going on. Unfortunately these trainers do sell dogs to people who do not know about the difference or how to spot it. Still, it is not something you hear about very often.

Hang on a minute Aidan, I think Tarope is on to something. I shall create a new training program for Government Departments and Security Dog Handlers to implement immediately. The program will consist of morning cuddles and afternoon walks along the beach.

Several years ago on TV's 6 o clock news the headline was " woman attacked by the family Dobermann". The woman needed 30 stitches in her leg and the husband dislocated his elbow trying to pull the dog off her. :laugh:

Another person bought a protection/attack trained Rottweiler and was bitten by this dog, this person came to the Rottie Club for help. I was told it took a very long time to DE program this poor dog.

The person was told if you want a dog that will protect you,buy your pup from the club and raise him/her with love and kindness etc.

The person did just that and came back to say the pup he got from the club was more protective as an adult than the other one because this dog protected out of love which IMO is the best kind. :thanks:

Yes,

I think for a family thats the best option.

We chose dogs for a strong protective instinct but have not trained any to bite or attack.They are strong nerved dogs,very affectionate,dominant types but with a strong pack drive and eager to please their owners.None are trained for protection work,though my son is just getting his K9 security licence and we will train one up for him when his current dog is ready to retire.

The strong likely hood that they will protect is all we ask in a home environment or near children.

They have learned through play (Get the kids,find the kids) and never a child bitten. We have had a child bite the dog,and the dog protect a visiting child from his angry father.We have not been let down yet and there have been several incidents where the dogs have stepped up beautifuly,tho' they have not yet bitten nor been asked to.I believe a word of encouragement at those times would see the dogs very willing to go that step further.,but it has not been tested.Being knocked over and a dog standing over you snarling in your face makes most people pull their heads in quick!

Looking after an extra bitch lately (,my sons dog while he trains) we need to keep her and her daughter separated at all times as they are both willing to accept other bitches only if THEY are the boss!

Two times now we have had accidents where there were fights and both times we have been able to wade in to grab collars with no fear of being bitten ourselves.

The dogs are raised with cats,free range chooks and even tiny Yorkies.

I loved watching my kids grow up with the dogs,seeing the dog sit patiently through puppet shows for her benefit and play chasings.My old girl knows she is not to be on the furniture.She has broken that rule only twice.Both times when chasing one of the kids who ran into a corner,pulling the lounge chair in front of them.The dog has stopped untill the child taunted them"nyah nyah,you cant get me!" She did!

Several years ago on TV's 6 o clock news the headline was " woman attacked by the family Dobermann".

They'd only had this adult dog 3 months and had been protection/attack trained and what ever the woman did set the dog off.

So it actually wasnt a FAMILY dog, right?

It was a newely rehomed dog with some family that was not aware of triggers for the dog.....

I've (luckily!) never been in a position to see what my dogs would do. I don't expect they would do a whole lot :thumbsup: Likely some barking at a distance.

Closest I've come is when the landlord came over to visit without telling me first so I could lock the dogs up. It was dark and raining, and there was only a perimeter fence, no separate back and front yard. Dogs were outside. Diesel barked his head off at the landlord when he came into the yard and towards the fence (who luckily was understanding and not worried about it!).

Several years ago on TV's 6 o clock news the headline was " woman attacked by the family Dobermann".

They'd only had this adult dog 3 months and had been protection/attack trained and what ever the woman did set the dog off.

So it actually wasnt a FAMILY dog, right?

It was a newely rehomed dog with some family that was not aware of triggers for the dog.....

Media said " family Dobermann" the dog was purchased from who knows where as protection/attack trained and was not a rescue.

It was about 8yrs ago and was here in Sydney. Having owned a dobe for 10yrs myself I know Dobes don't turn on their family but the breed gets the blame. :D :thumbsup:

Good to see some Collie Stories on here.

My "pet" Collies have protected me throughout my life. As a child mum used to leave me outside the local shop in a pram with our Collie on watch. If anyone peered over to see the "baby" our Collie would leap up and put her whole front end over the pram and growl and growl. Would you do this in 2010? Probably not - but worked many many years ago.

At one point when I was in my early teens a man came to our front door. He worked for Dad and was full of booze and very very aggresive about some issue or another. (The man - not dad ha ha). I was home on my own and the man was insisting on coming inside. I said no. Our Collie was going bezerk. I was holding him back by the collar and telling this man to go or I would let go of the dog. He was full of hot air and saying "let it go, I'll kill it before it kills me etc". So I let go of the dog. She lunged for his "jewels" and took a BIG bite. She then pushed him down when he bent over and sat on him - teeth on his neck until dad got home (about half an hour later). Every time he went to move - she bit really hard into his neck. She got a big bone that night!!!

(Dad had quite a bit to say to this man too - but I won't type that here ha ha ha)

My old boy has bitten my husband. Hubby went to sneak up on me in the kitchen and whack me on the backside. Out of no where comes my boy SNAP!!!!! COllies don't get "play fighting" - to them - any threat is a threat. Poor hubby got the shock of his life!!

Last but not least - my current Collies have caught several burglars. They let the greyhounds catch them - then the pack knock them to the ground and sit on them -Collies put teeth on neck until we come and release the "prey".

As for Greyhounds being hopeless guard dogs? My black girl is a rescue girl. She lived a very bad life before coming to us. She is SUPER protective of me and whilst it goes against every ounce of her breeding - I am 100% sure she would protect to the death regardless of situation. There is absoloutly no pacifying her if we are out walking and someone creepy charges us or goes to reach for me. The others (Collies and Greys) will back off once they realise it is not a real threat. Not her............

Mine might not be trained guard dogs, they may not be formally tested, but I am pretty sure most threats will back off if there are four large sets of teeth just BEGGING to be let loose on thier rump!!

Those who wouldn't back off at that - can face the Smith and Wesson breed.

Colliehound

PS - keep the stories coming - they are some good news in a crappy world.

Hang on a minute Aidan, I think Tarope is on to something. I shall create a new training program for Government Departments and Security Dog Handlers to implement immediately. The program will consist of morning cuddles and afternoon walks along the beach.

I don't see the funny side of someone being mauled by a large dog as you do Jones. :)

I don't think it's funny when a family through ignorance buys a protection/attack trained dog and it turns on them. ;)

I don't think it's funny when the Dobermann, Rottweiler and GSD breeds are blamed because some moron teaches some to attack and they do just that to their new owners. :p