Gas Tablets For Dogs

Red Fox

Degas does work as it's given during the first stage of bloat before the torsion starts.

Yep- that's what I've heard as well.

It does work in the canine stomach, I presume, as it works in human stomachs- I know of it being used regularly to break down gas in a 'bloated' human stomach, which then impinges on other organs. When the simethicone does the job, gas is much easier to get rid of, and the pain and pressure is relieved quickly.

I'd love to see a proper study done on it. Because as has been said, the drug is designed to work in the bowel, not the stomach and the amount of gas in a dogs' stomach when its bloating is a huge amount compared to what people get when they are bloated/gassy.

Simethecone works by breaking down the surface tensions of the small air bubbles in the stomach, thus causing bigger bubbles to form, which theoretically, are easier for the stomach to pass.

The reason the product was suggested in my breed was simply to try & give that extra bit of help whilst travelling to the vet or being in an area not close to facilities.

Its all about timing & knowing when to get help asap

I'm sure that I read somewhere that it's a good idea to give it if your dog is unusually gassy/gurgling tummy/burping a lot etc. to reduce the chances of bloat occurring :D

So as a preventative rather than a cure.

If bloat had already started I'd be getting my dog to the vet quick smart and giving him the tablets on the way.

I'd love to see a proper study done on it. Because as has been said, the drug is designed to work in the bowel, not the stomach and the amount of gas in a dogs' stomach when its bloating is a huge amount compared to what people get when they are bloated/gassy.

Simethecone works by breaking down the surface tensions of the small air bubbles in the stomach, thus causing bigger bubbles to form, which theoretically, are easier for the stomach to pass.

I know how it works :mad I was meaning I'd like to see studies done on its success rate with dogs that bloat as to whether or not it has proven to make a difference. :laugh:

Simethicone is an anti-foaming agent that decreases the surface tension of gas bubbles, causing them to combine into larger bubbles in the stomach that can be passed more easily by burping. Simethicone does not reduce or prevent the formation of gas in the digestive tract, rather, it increases the rate at which it exits the body.[1] However, simethicone can relieve pain caused by gas in the intestines by decreasing foaming which then allows for passing of flatus. Simethicone is not absorbed by the body into the bloodstream, and is therefore considered relatively safe, with sources reporting the worst side effects as bloating, constipation, diarrhea, gas and heartburn. While sold as a treatment for colic, randomised controlled trials have not borne this claim out.[2][3]

Simethicone solutions of differing concentration also have industrial applications for reducing foaming in certain chemical processes.

Link

I do have an article about the percentage ratio during atrial but i cant find it which is peeving me off as it has other great info on this topic :laugh:

ooh that would be great if you could find it!!

I totally understand the action of how it works in people, but like I said, the amount of gas in the stomach of a bloating dog is far greater than that of a human feeling bloated, hence why I was saying I'd love to see some scientific data is to its efficacy in bloating dogs.

I'm not completely doubting it works, just saying I'd love to see some proper evidence that it does, that's all.

Degas does work as it's given during the first stage of bloat before the torsion starts.

Yep- that's what I've heard as well.

It does work in the canine stomach, I presume, as it works in human stomachs- I know of it being used regularly to break down gas in a 'bloated' human stomach, which then impinges on other organs. When the simethicone does the job, gas is much easier to get rid of, and the pain and pressure is relieved quickly.

We are talking about the difference between a stomach and a bowel. Simethicone is not used to make humans burp. It's used to make them fart.

The reason the product was suggested in my breed was simply to try & give that extra bit of help whilst travelling to the vet or being in an area not close to facilities.

Its all about timing & knowing when to get help asap

So when is it time to get help? I thought the first signs were unproductive vomiting? (at which stage the stomach has twisted and if you could get a capsule down the problem wouldn't exist).

So when is it time to get help? I thought the first signs were unproductive vomiting? (at which stage the stomach has twisted and if you could get a capsule down the problem wouldn't exist).

As not all dogs torsion, not all dogs show all the signs.

Even those who do torsion don't show all the signs.

GDV comes in three stages

Stage 1

The first stage of bloat is when the stomach fills with air, food and liquid and becomes distended.

This is a basic gastric dilatation and the dog will become very uncomfortable

Symptoms:

1. Anxiety, restlessness and panting.

2. Foaming at the mouth.

3. may lick the air.

4. Try and eat sticks, stones, rubbish.

5. Retching saliva but no stomach contents every 10 to 20 minutes.

6. Moderately enlarged abdomen with a watermelon sound when thumped.

Stage 2

The first stage symptoms occur but in addition, now the stomach flips around or twists and ALMOST cuts off entry and exit of anything to the stomach. This results in a torsion of the stomach which is obviously life-threatening. It can happen extremely quickly - moving from just dilatation to strangulation is a matter of degrees.

Symptoms:

1. Severe restlessness with reluctance to lie down.

2. Panting continuously.

3. Gums brick red.

4. Vomiting is attempted frequently (every two or three minutes).

5. Heart rate 80 to 100.

6. Abdomen enlarged and tense; sounding hollow when thumped.

Stage 3

This is the final stage and the most deadly - when the stomach has twisted or flipped over as above but now it is completely cutting off entry or exit of anything into or out of the stomach. This is the stage of the disease called the volvulus.

Symptoms:

1. Dog unable to rise or is wobbly or has a sawhorse stance.

2. Gums are blue or white.

3. Abdomen is greatly distended, often distending before your eyes.

4. Heart rate 120 or greater with little pulse.

Unproductive vomiting is not always the first sign.

Every dog is different, those who bloat more then once don't often show the same signs the second time around.