New Nsw Legislation For Greyhounds

Daisy

so greys don't have to be chipped atm? :laugh: didn't know that.

nic, agree totally with your post, hp do get a fair amount of the greys out if they can, i have fostered 6 from there, all great dogs.

i was there one morning when a trainer turned up with 4 littermates, A,B,C,D. their names :rofl:

they need to be more accountable for breeding so many and offloading so easily. ;)

These rules have been in place in Victoria for quite some time now and as far as I'm aware, they have not caused an increase in dogs being dumped at shelters. In fact, I believe they force owners to be accountable for their greyhounds. In Victoria very few greyhounds are actually dumped in shelters as it is far easier to take the dog to a vet and have them PTS for a minimal amount.

Hopefully this link will work - it is a copy of the very simple form used here in Vic:

http://www.grv.org.au/LinkClick.aspx?filet...;language=en-AU

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.grv.org.au/Participants/ApplicationForms.aspx and click on Notification of Retired Greyhounds to view the form.

As you can see on this form, if the dog is given away to anywhere other than GAP, it needs to state on the form where that dog has gone.

I'm really glad to see that this has now been implemented in NSW. It is part of managing and tracking the whole life cycle of the greyhound.

Regarding microchipping, this is being introduced in 2011. Initially the dogs will still be earbranded in one ear plus microchip, then slowly move over to just microchip. Currently every greyhound in Australia that is bred for racing is identified through their ear tatoos.

And with regards to breeding, I don't know what is happening in other States, but here in Victoria the number of whelpings has been decreasing since 2004 and has had a dramatic decrease in the last 18 months due to implementation of strategies established by the Responsible Breeding Task Force, a group set up by the industry to investigate breeding, rearing and training practices. There are restrictions on what bitches can be bred with and how many litters they can have, and to register a stud dog now costs $1000. The whelping notices are listed in the industry publication, The Adviser, each month and I've been watching as they have gone down :-).

Greyhound Racing in Australia is also moving to microchips.

Is it possible to wipe information from a microchip before dumping? My boys chip was wiped and I only realised when I went to put my own details on there when we decided we were keeping him.

I don't know - but it is possible to "cut them out".