Rather Be With Pet Then Partner

W Sibs

pets better than lovers on Valentine day

ONE-quarter of Aussie couples find spending time with their pets more attractive than their spouse on Valentine's Day.

A global poll by Reuters and Ipsos found that one in five adults said they would opt for the company of a furry friend on February 14.

The survey of 24,000 people in 23 countries found residents of Turkey the most likely, at 49 percent, to choose an animal over a partner or spouse. The French, at 10 percent, were least likely, Reuters reported.

The United States came in at 27 percent and Australia at 25 percent.

But the survey also found that age and income were more of a determining factor than nationality with younger, less affluent people more likely to vote for their pet.

John Wright, senior vice president of Ipsos, said 25 percent of people aged under 35 opted for their pet over their partner compared to 18 percent of those aged 35-54 and 14 percent of people aged 55 plus.

Men and women were evenly split over the question.

But if you would like a pet and a lover too you could always try Puppy Love speed dating.

Melbourne-based community support group, Single Volunteers, has joined forces with Pet Rescue and animal shelters to promote pet-friendly Valentine’s Day dating.

Melina Schamroth, Single Volunteers founder, said the dating nights will be a way that people can meet while making a difference by working hands-on with discarded animals.

Still, women attending the event could be left with just a dog.

Whilst these events are popular with women, Ms Schamroth says that they are having trouble finding men to attend. “Women outnumber the available men two to one” she said.

“Men can be reluctant to attend traditional match-making events, but they need to understand that these events are not about being single, rather about being a person who cares about their community and just happens to be single.”

Cool - so hubby can't complain about being the only OH dragged to a crazy-dog-lady convention, lol

Oh you are so brave! I think when I told my OH I was going to a DOL meet it was all he could do not to :)

Can't imagine what it would take to get him to come with me!

*cough* a few of us are going to dol meets this valentines :(

I'm taking 2 out of 3 of my dogs to the Melbourne Dol meet! :eek:

:cry: Goodbye boyfriend, only for the day. :cry:

Cool - so hubby can't complain about being the only OH dragged to a crazy-dog-lady convention, lol

Oh you are so brave! I think when I told my OH I was going to a DOL meet it was all he could do not to :D

Can't imagine what it would take to get him to come with me!

Same here... I don't think my boyfriend would be caught dead at one... But he's happy t do things with just me and the dogs. :cry:

:rasberry::provoke: Ah, my sister and I aren't that strange after all, we have just been discussing how we would never find a partner to suit us as it would have to be someone that was as in to the dogs and dog activities as us. As there aren't nearly as many guys in the dog world as woman and the few that are are already taken or bat for the other team I think we will remain single but happy. At least when we fall out with the pooches we can give them time out and we usually get the final word. ;)

Ditto ozjen :rasberry: Don't think I will find a guy who won't be scared off by the fact that I spend most nights doing dog things and that I want dog #3 in the next few years! Would be a bonus if he got involved too, but I think it's gonna be hard enough to find one who won't be scared off by the dog things as it is :provoke: Happily single here with my two girls :o Leaves me more time to do my dog things! ;)