Puppy Vaccination Regime

Norskgra

I know that this has been discussed numerous times but this is the first time I have heard of this. Faith is six weeks old and will be due to have her first vaccination soon. I called a vet this morning to find out what regime they follow. They have recently changed to vaccinate at 6, 8 and 10 weeks. this seems very close between the needles to me. Has anyone heard of vaccinating this close together before. I want to vaccinate at approximately 8 and 12 weeks.

Edited by Norskgra

I know that this has been discussed numerous times but this is the first time I have heard of this. Faith is six weeks old and will be due to have her first vaccination soon. I called a vet this morning to find out what regime they follow. They have recently changed to vaccinate at 6, 8 and 10 weeks. this seems very close between the needles to me. Has anyone heard of vaccinating this close together before. I want to vaccinate at approximately 8 and 12 weeks.

I thought 6, 12 & 16 weeks was appropriate. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that canine diseases are on the increase?

Talk about overkill.

Puppies as you know are not vaccinated till 8 weeks now. Some do another vaccination after a month.

I do one at 8 weeks and then one after 3 months and thats it for life. I also use Nobivac as it has about a 36 hour turn around and purchasers want their pups as soon as possible, this enables the purchaser to collect their pup two days after vaccination.

oakway, was interested in this Nobivac and did some reaserch..came up with this, some good reading..

http://www.intervet.com.au/binaries/82_151365.pdf

I presume this is is a brand that only some vets carry or do you buy it yourself? My vet used Protech C3..am about to reasearch that now :eek:

My vet in Qld. Dr. Tim Rush at Yamanto Vet Surgery had it in stock. Told him what I though of Fort Dodge.

When I have a litter here I will use the vet that uses Nobivac.

i dont do *weeks* but use the puppy as a guide.

Having small breed dogs, i wait until they hit the 1 kg mark. I had a pup at 10 weeks who got vacc at first time, but she was teeny.

Just dont feel right seeing that huge needle with almost as much liquid as they are go in their necks.

I asked many breeders and pretty much all agreed as close to 8 weeks, when the pup is at least 1kg.

If they have to wait, then they have to wait, ill have to wait, and we deal with it.

Happy to read it and pleased that what I have done coincides with it. 3 puppy vaccinations with the final dose being around 16 weeks of age.

I do mine at 8, 12 and 16 weeks and have done for some years now. The only alteration to it was that I USED to have it done at around 6/7 weeks because my puppies were shunted out the door at 8 weeks on the knocker (until I learned better).

I'm sorry PomsNZ, but I had to giggle. If I did my Staffords at the 1kg mark, they'd be having their first lot of vaccinations within their first week or so of life! :laugh:

We always give the first vaccination around 6-7 weeks this allows the vaccine to take effect before pups go home around 8-9 weeks. The next vaccination is due about 16 weeks and then at 14 months. The new recommendations mean then the dog can go thru till they are 4 years.

Remember if the pups mum is vaccinated pups do get some immunity from her.