Desexing Of Rescue Dogs

Muggles

I'm all for desexing rescue dogs to try and combat the over breeding situation. but.... i would like some opinons on the following scenario.

A female dog comes into rescue she is about 8 months old. when she is taken to the vet for desexing they find a scar on her abdomen and advise that she is probably already desexed and don't want to put her through an operation if not necessary. however the "committee' of said rescue said "no" this dog must have the operation so we can get her registered and all our paperwork in order???!!!! :)

Does this not sit well with anyone else out there? or am i being overly sensitive?

Surely they could keep a check on her after rehoming to see if she came into season before putting her through an unnecessary op.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for desexing rescue dogs to try and combat the over breeding situation. but.... i would like some opinons on the following scenario.

A female dog comes into rescue she is about 8 months old. when she is taken to the vet for desexing they find a scar on her abdomen and advise that she is probably already desexed and don't want to put her through an operation if not necessary. however the "committee' of said rescue said "no" this dog must have the operation so we can get her registered and all our paperwork in order???!!!! :)

Does this not sit well with anyone else out there? or am i being overly sensitive?

Surely they could keep a check on her after rehoming to see if she came into season before putting her through an unnecessary op.

Surely they could ultrasound her to see if she still has a uterus. She might not come into season for months.. and then in a home that has little knowledge or capacity to deal with a bitch in season.

I have had a handler in my obedience class that had no idea her bitch was in season.. it happens. :(

Edited by poodlefan

Surely they could ultrasound her to see if she still has a uterus. She might not come into season for months.. and then in a home that has little knowledge or capacity to deal with a bitch in season.

I have had a handler in my obedience class that had no idea her bitch was in season.. it happens. :(

I have asked about ultrasounds in the past and was told it wasn't an option??

My preference would be to ultrasound first but if for some reason that was not possible I would put the bitch under to check. How else can you rehome the dog as desexed?

God could you imagine the uproar on DOL if someone came on here and put the situation in the reverse? :) IE I adopted a dog from a rescue group and they said because she had a scar she was probably desexed but she has come into season now. Lordy the knives would be out.

Wow, such a contraversial topic for a new member. You're game... or incognito. :)

I would think the rescue weighedup pros and cons and did what they felt was best in the situation. What is it that concerns you? The fact the dog may have undergone a GA unneccessarily or something else?

My bitches tattoo faded and couldn't be seen so she was put under and discovered the be de-sexed....it's just an incision wound if they are desexed and GA which most dogs are fine with.

Nothing Contraversal to me.

No way in the world would I accept "probably" desexed for a dog that is to be rehomed...if there was not an available vet with ultrasound equipment, then I would have her opened up for a look-see. Unfortunate? Yes, but a lot better than the potential consequences if she is rehomed without checking and it turns out she wasn't desexed after all.

Wow, such a contraversial topic for a new member. You're game... or incognito. :)

I would think the rescue weighedup pros and cons and did what they felt was best in the situation. What is it that concerns you? The fact the dog may have undergone a GA unneccessarily or something else?

I know how damaging GA's can be to some dogs, she wasn't well when she came into care and i felt they were putting their paperwork issues before the dogs wellbeing. (and the fact that they didn't want to have to chase it up down the track, a phone call once a month to check on her is all it would take.)

I feel like they were taking the easy option so they could rehome her and forget about it.

No way in the world would I accept "probably" desexed for a dog that is to be rehomed...if there was not an available vet with ultrasound equipment, then I would have her opened up for a look-see. Unfortunate? Yes, but a lot better than the potential consequences if she is rehomed without checking and it turns out she wasn't desexed after all.

i've only been involved in rescue for a few years. obviously i haven't had time to harden up yet.

Wow, such a contraversial topic for a new member. You're game... or incognito. :eek:

I know how damaging GA's can be to some dogs, she wasn't well when she came into care and i felt they were putting their paperwork issues before the dogs wellbeing. (and the fact that they didn't want to have to chase it up down the track, a phone call once a month to check on her is all it would take.)

I feel like they were taking the easy option so they could rehome her and forget about it.

how exactly was she ill? I'm guessing something that adds a risk factor to GA? Most rescues would hold off until the dog was well enough to go under without added risk, it just means more time in foster care, which should not be an issue.

they like to get them in and out quick. there are never enough carers so there is always time issues. i can see everyones point but aren't there exceptions to the rule. its not like i wanted them to lie to the new owners and say she was desexed, i just wanted them to wait, the vet said if she was going to come into season it would only be a matter of a couple of months.

How hard is it to stay in contact with a new owner especially if they are aware of the situation.

Wow, such a contraversial topic for a new member. You're game... or incognito. :eek:

how exactly was she ill? I'm guessing something that adds a risk factor to GA? Most rescues would hold off until the dog was well enough to go under without added risk, it just means more time in foster care, which should not be an issue.

at first they thought it was parvo but she was negative???

The easy option would have been to rehome without checking for desexing and to wash their hands of any consequences. There are rescues that do that.

To me "no rehoming without confirmation of desexed status" is a threshold issue for differentiating responsible rescues from the rest. They did the right thing. A sick dog shouldn't be subjected to veterinary treatment OR rehomed btw.

Do you know that the dog maybe didn't come into season at 5 months and had a litter at 7 months by ceasar? This would leave the same scar. Rehome without desexing and there is definately the possibility the new owners could decide to 'have a litter for the kids' or whatever reason. Sorry, open up and check.

Why not ask for some time for the dog to get a little better so that there is a lower risk to the operation, unless there is no facilities there to accomodate the animal.

--Lhok

i think my time with this particular rescue group has come to an end. :eek: this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Do you know that the dog maybe didn't come into season at 5 months and had a litter at 7 months by ceasar? This would leave the same scar. Rehome without desexing and there is definately the possibility the new owners could decide to 'have a litter for the kids' or whatever reason. Sorry, open up and check.

wouldn't a ceasar scar leave a much bigger scar?