Age Of Bitch

Sayly

How old is too old for a healthy bitch to have her first litter? We are talking medium sized breed that lives anywhere from 12 to 16 years.

Ruby turned three today, and has just come into season. We are looking at mating her during her next season, however I am also looking at mating my other bitch at this time (they come in together). Which ever litter is first will be our first litter. We don't know whether to do two litters at once or put my other girl off until next year.

This will make Ruby 3 and a half for her first litter, and Holly just over three.

If Ruby doesn't become pregnant on her next season, we may well have to wait a year before breeding her again because of timing of the litter with work and uni commitments of mum and I.

Is 4 and a half too old to breed a healthy bitch for the first time?

How old is too old for a healthy bitch to have her first litter? We are talking medium sized breed that lives anywhere from 12 to 16 years.

Anything up to five or six for me, depending on whether it is a breed which generally free whelps or not (I'm guessing yes in your case :birthday: ). Oldest bitch I have bred for the first time was closer to 6 than 5.

Which ever litter is first will be our first litter. We don't know whether to do two litters at once or put my other girl off until next year.

First litter for you do not do two at once! It's very hard work raising one litter properly, add to that a lack of experience with every little thing being new and probably stress-inducing, do not do that to yourselves :)

Is 4 and a half too old to breed a healthy bitch for the first time?

No.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I think 2 litters at once would be asking for trouble but was worried with the age of the girls.

Both Irish Terriers and Aussie Shepherds from my girl's line are easy, free whelpers and are great mums. :)

My oldest first-timer was almost 5 (Vanni only recently) and I don't think I'll leave a bitch that long again. Cockers I'd prefer around the 2.5 - 3 year mark. Staffords 18 months - 2 years for their first.

Just my opinion of course but it works for me.

Thanks everyone.

Anything from now on we would like to breed earlier. Ruby was purchased as a show bitch, and we had no intention of breeding, so we have left her longer than we would have liked. But things have changed and with her breeder's full support, we now want to breed her. It hasn't been a snap decision either, it's something we have been thinking about for a while now but haven't been sure. Mum has wanted to breed Irish for some time, but wasn't sure about doing it before she retired.

Leaving a bitch to this age is not something I want to do again. :thumbsup:

A lot depends upon health testing with some breeds too.

For example, it has been suggested for many years that American Cockers should not be bred from before the age of 3 due to the inherited eye conditions. However with good testing, the arrival of a DNA test for ONE of the forms of PRA that they are prone to and a lot more breeder honesty and a smaller gene pool that has been relaxed somewhat and it is now more accepted for minimum 18 months but ideally 2 - 2.5 years.

I wouldn't hesitate leaving a bitch till she was 3 or 4 to have her first litter. I don't see any reason why 2 is the magical "must have" number to have a first litter unless people are just eager to get pups out of a promising bitch.

Whippets there is some talk by repro vets that in certain breeds, a younger start to breeding can directly influence the shape of the birth canal and therefore the success or failure of subsequent breedings.

I won't be leaving another Stafford of mine past two.

Back in the olden days I used to breed them on their second heat almost without question. Had a lot less hassles than I do now, bigger litters, easy whelping (most of the time, mind you only one family has whelping issues now so it's not exactly taken over).

Ah yeah I see. With racing greys our racers didn't get bred till after they finished their career which was around 3 or 4 years of age. We had no problems. What breeds do the repro experts think could benefit being bred at 2?

Many of the breeds with larger headed whelps, British Bulldogs, Pugs, Staffords - to name a few. This is the reason many of the toy breeds are also allowed to be bred very young according to ANKC rules too.

I'd give it a try as best suits your schedule . . . knowing there's a risk of non-conception. Be clear with the stud dog owner that this is a possibility . . . and see if you can build in a re-mating at no cost (with the other girl if necessary) if there are no pups. Sometimes the lining of the uterus gets lines with stuff that makes it hard for eggs to attach. My repro vet has a treatment for this, but for the 4 yr old bitch I tried to mate the treatment didn't succeed.

Thanks everyone.

The stud dog owner is an experienced breeder and only expects payment once the pregnancy is confirmed.

Any bitches from now on will be bred much earlier than these girls, it just hasn't worked with these two ladies as we didn't expect to breed Ruby initially and Holly has been a toss up on if we will breed from her or not.