Fly Spray

kiwioz

I am being overtaken by flies in a way I never was at my old house. They are driving me nuts!

I can't help feeling slightly weird about spraying fly spray around with the dogs inside though - is it all ok? It's a 'natural' one, but there's not a huge amount of ventilation in the room.

How about the ones you put on the wall that regularly puff out the spray?

I used to have rats and their little lungs needed more care - it may have made me over paranoid :thumbsup:

I try and avoid them, if it kills insects it's not good to be breathing in and regular puffs are overkill.

I make sure that the back verandah is kept clean and disinfected, there are fly traps outside. I've found the surface spray to be usefull, I spray it on the doors and window fly screen, it seems to keep them away and out of the house.

I try and avoid them, if it kills insects it's not good to be breathing in and regular puffs are overkill.

I make sure that the back verandah is kept clean and disinfected, there are fly traps outside. I've found the surface spray to be usefull, I spray it on the doors and window fly screen, it seems to keep them away and out of the house.

Oh I haven't seen the surface spray, that sounds good. Unfortunately I don't have fly screen on my windows, hence the problem. Anybody had any luck with those window sticker things?

If I need to kill flies I point the can up and spin a circle and hopefully catch the flies as they go through it - if that does work I stalk with the can. Surface spray inly works if they walk across where it has been sprayed (and it does work this way though even on the big ones).

The regular puff out sprays do seem to be overkill but perhaps if you dont have fly screens something like that would be a short term solution (til you get screens) as mozzies and other things can come in and mozzies can carry nasty diseases if you are unlucky. Otherwise stalk and spray - from the death toll I found beside a window the sprays do work. We use the Naturgard one with has pyrethins amongst its ingredients.

you could invest in a zapper - I love those things hee hee :D It's so satisfying when you hear that zzzzzzttttt!!! sound. But I don't know how expensive they are.

Or a simpler thing a friend of mine has - those fly strips. Revolting tho. They sort of hang from the ceiling and catch them.

I try really hard not to spray near my dogs - I got very anti-flyspray when my dog had cancer. I used a fly swatter a lot but that wont help if there's too many LOL You'd be there all day :thumbsup:

I don't use spray. I use the hose vacuum cleaner or, if that's not out, the dust buster. You have to clean out the filter/bag though, as it tends to stink up after a while. But at least neither myself nor my dog are breathing in poison. Yes - there's been a lot of flies around this year. A bit more like it used to be when I was a kid.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for the tips and ideas guys. And I'm glad to find out I'm not being over paranoid :thumbsup: I'll try and avoid spray as much as possible.

Spotty I can just imagine trying to swat them all, who would need a gym membership :D

You could look into envirosafe fly traps, they are relativley cheap and although not suitable for inside work well outside to reduce the number of flies hanging around. They stink but i have found that putting them several meters from the house is ok and works well to reduce fly numbers :)

Those window things are useless. I have bought flyswats. It is very satisfying :champagne: And better for the environment.

I got the Batril window stickers from the supermarket. They are pretty & work to a degree.

Always open the bathroom window when I have a shower & somehow they get in there. I found 4 flies dead on the window sill so I guess they are ok for small areas.

Supplement other areas with a fly swat. 2 stickers on each window but they don't stop them completely. Chemicals choke me.

The bug zapper works but its a horrid noise & my cats & dogs hate it.

We have a lot of flies here at the moment too.. I think maybe they love this humid weather.

I hate spraying insecticide with people or pets in the house, so I give a really big spray before I go out anywhere... Then when I get back the house is nice until someone opens the flysceen again :thumbsup:

My Gran uses a fly swatter! :champagne: (She's like an 83 year old Ninja with that thing) but it seems to work for her so if your not squeamish about squishing them maybe give that a go... There's no chemicals involved...

Thanks guys. Okami unfortunately the dogs stay in the house when I go out, so I can't do the big spray. Stickers maybe could give a bit of extra help by the sounds, but its a bit of a spread out area. Maybe I need to get my swatting arm ready after all :rofl:

I found the window stickers useless, I have a zapper, but my greyhound won't go out the back door if it is on.............. :o

I think the window stickers work ok, just not for very long.

I also cannot use a bug zapper. My bc has an absolute fear of them (along with balloons, balloons popping, thunder, basically anything that makes a loud bang or cracking sound etc etc bloody neurotic dog :thanks: ). She even freaks out when the neighbours have their zapper turned on.

Hmmm I never thought of that. Cal isn't scared of thunder/noises, but he does bark at them a LOT so a zapper could potentially be problematic!

Have discovered a temporary partial solution though - turns out the people who owned my house before me left one of those plastic fly curtains behind in the garage that they had on the back door. It's ugly :o but you can't really see the back door and it should help. Doesn't solve the windows, but a lot of them are coming in through that door cos its open for the dogs.

Those window things are useless. I have bought flyswats. It is very satisfying :laugh: And better for the environment.
I found the window stickers useless, I have a zapper, but my greyhound won't go out the back door if it is on.............. :)

I've used the window stickers around this time last year and found them very good, picked up some more yesterday because they've become a pain in the neck again and within a couple of hours of sticking them on the window there were several flies almost dead in the window sills where the stickers had been placed.

None this morning buzzing about when I got up so they seem to work well for us :)