Outside Dogs

kiesha09

My two dogs (2 maltese x rescues) grew up in a townhouse and therefore were inside dogs for the majority of their lives. Two years ago I moved into a new house and swore that the dogs would live outside with access to the laundry during the day. But after about a week I felt bad and let them stay inside with access to outside by the doggy door.

Now I really want to go back to what I originally planned and have them outside during the day. They have 3 different beds outside, shelter, access to the laundry, water, toys, sandpit, doggy pool etc.

But i still feel bad about leaving them outside, since they have been sleeping on my bed all day.

Does anyone else leave their dogs outside (just during the day, they will be allowed inside any time I'm home) and do you have exceptions... eg I think I would allow them inside if it was over 35 degrees or if there was storms forcasted.

They will be fine, dogs are extremely adaptable :)

We have a big dog, but he is outside when we're not home. He enjoys it out there, likes to keep an eye (ear) on what's going on in the neighbourhood, splash in his pool and do generally doggy things. He sleeps about 90% of the time during the day anyway.

He gets put outside when we leave whether it's raining (he does have shelter) or hot (as it's generally even hotter inside). We've never had an issue.

Edited by wuffles

Mine are outside during the day, with no access to inside. Including my 15yo Lhasa Apso, who thinks she is going to be reborn as a human princess.

They have various beds, shelter in a small back porch and under a concrete ramp where they've made themselves a "den". Fresh water in two places (including their den), shade, toys, grass to lie on and a sandpit to dig in.

They are also out there when I'm home a lot of the time, because they want to be there. My old Lhasa is the first one to line up at the backdoor in the morning and doesn't start asking to be let in until around dinner time.

If they lived indoors before you had them & you have had them 2 years ? (It reads that way) & they have lived indoors

Why would you want to make them outside in the day dogs now ?

Big change.

They will be fine as they can get into the laundry & its not too hot.

Can they tackle a snake if they meet one ? They are around in the metro areas too, just not seen as much.

Can any big dogs jump your fences or anyone open the back gate ?

They probably will be ok but won't like it so not fair to change now unless there is a very good reason really.

Our previous dogs have always been outside dogs. When we got our older GSD as a pup he naturally became an outside dog because our rottie was an outside dog. When we got our youngest GSD he was brough up inside the house and crate trained with the intention he would be allowed inside ... but he prefers being outside in the water and mud.

Initally I worried about him being outside in a storm or something ... but he now has a lovely new kennel (which stayed nice and dry during a downpour over over 160mm) but where was the dog during this storm - out in the rain and playing in the mud.

As long as they have access to good shelter, secure in a good fenced yard and they enjoy being outside it shouldn't be a problem ...

If the dogs don't like being left outside and continually cry and bark then it might be an issue. How do they cope with the change?

I think the last person has a point - big change for the dogs and their routine so a big decision on your part. I'm assuming, however, that you have a good reason to change or you wouldn't be thinking about it again. On that basis...

My 2 are outside during the day, with no access to inside. They have a very large shaded pergola area, multiple outside lounges to lie on, and a range of choices re shade and shelter. We have very good fences and lock the gate with a key so no-one comes through and lets them out during the day.

Yes I do have excpetions to this arrangements - basically very hot or very cold weather. In both cases I will let the dogs stay inside in their crate. As I only work a few blocks away, I come for lunch most days. In hot weather I leave them outside for the morning (usually) but bring them inside for the hottest part of the day (the afternoon). Then the teenagers let them back on when they get home from school around 4pm when it's starting to get cooler.

In cold weather it's something I play by ear. They have coats on when they are needed, and I'll bring them inside in their crates for half the day when the weather is too horrible.

I think you need to consider that they will be very much out of their routine by the change- so maybe do it in stages?

spend an hour or two outside, then a bit longer, and a bit longer?

Feed outside..... do lots of good stuff outside with them, so they see it as very much a comfortable space .

I have had both dogs since puppies (they are now 4 yo and 2 yo) so it has been my doing that they have been inside, initially because there was no other option and then when we moved because I was a sook and felt bad for leaving them outside.

There are a number of reasons why I want them to stay outside during the day.

1. To block access to the front of my house because they bark at people walking past and I want to break this habit. Outside is really the only option to stop this.

2. Because they are scratching all the paint off my front door and windows as they bark at the people walking by and jump up to see through the window.

3. Because they love to jump in their swimming pool then come inside all wet and splash water over my entire house.

4. Because I think they need more boundaries instead of thinking that inside the house is a free for all (can't really stop that when they have free access when I'm not here. The way my house is designed it is very hard to restrict access as it is all open plan, even with baby gates and puppy pens.

They would be absolutely secure outside with 6ft fences and the side gate is padlocked. The likelihood of a snake is fairly slim the way my house and backyard is designed so I'm not too worried about this problem.

Yes it is absolutely a big change in the dogs routines, thats why I'm not taking the decision lightly. They don't mind being outside but would probably prefer being inside. They used to be outside once a week when the cleaner came and were fine. I want what is best for them but I also would like to keep my new house relatively nice.

I'm sure that they would be fine if they were taught to be outside dogs during the day from the beginning, but perhaps it is too much of a change in their routine.

Persephone absolutely agree with your post. Doing it in stages would definately be the best way to go about it, rather than lumping them with such a big change all at once.

I have started putting them outside for maybe an hour at a time on weekends with a bone (mostly while I was doing the cleaning) and they are ok with that. So maybe I should just do that a bit more often and see how they go.

They'll fine if they have plenty of shade and water and things to do. If you think they will struggle with the change then do it in stages but honestly they will probably love it! Plus being outside is good for them - fresh air, sunshine (they need several hours of this a day to get enough Vitamin D anyway), you said they have a pool which is great. Just give them some bones/kongs filled with breakfast etc and I'm sure they'll think they are in heaven! :)

Agree with all your reasons. Agree with persephone and introduce the change bit by bit. I'm sure as long as you didn't just 'throw them out there' and left them lots to do, they will be fine. If you make it an exciting place and they only get special toys, treats, they will probably end up itching to go outside. :)

In our old house Kyzer was always inside, until we got a doggy door, then he was inside / outside while we were at work.

In our new house Kyzer was always left inside, with no doggy door. When we got Trixie she was in a pen inside and Kyzer was inside, after a few weeks (once she had learned to leap over the pen), both got put outside because it was easier this way, naughty puppy couldn't wreck anything :)

The idea was to get a doggy door but it still hasn't happened :( so they've been outside for about 5 months now and it didn't bother him really, I think they prefer it because they can sniff around and sun bake. They have covered crates under the shaded area, if they are hot they sleep stretched out on top, if they are cold they curl up inside.

I felt guilty at first because Kyzer was always such an inside dig but he really didn't seem bothered by the change.

I am hoping to get the doggy door in before winter though.