How To Deal With Interference

Diva

I'm wondering if some of the experienced handlers on here can give me some tips please.

I'm very lucky in the breed and group rings locally. There are some highly competitive handlers but they have never interfered with my dogs. Everyone has been very courteous in the ring to me here since I started showing, especially in the breed, and it's appreciated.

But at a recent show elsewhere I had someone in the group ring doing a lot of crowding and apparently deliberate interference and I need some advice on how best to handle that because I don't have much of a clue.

I'm talking about stacking very close behind me, stepping very close to and brushing against my dogs rear, running so close when my dog was stacked and they were being run-off for group that I had to lean over my dog to save her being brushed against, and letting their dog stand on a loose lead sniffing my dog's butt when the judge was looking elsewhere.

I'm a bit naive in this stuff. I always assume good sportsmanship. But the sniffing only stopped when I went to stand behind my dog, just the move to do that had him respond so it wasn't that he was unaware. It was an experienced showie too. And the interference was so obvious that several people commented to me about it afterwards.

So I need some advice on how to counter that kind of crappy behaviour without stooping to their level.

Should I teach my dogs to stack with me standing behind them, just for these cases? Speak up and complain loudly so that the steward notices? Turn my dog around and face them?

How do the good handlers deal with it?

Edited by Diva

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always go in and line up with a fair amount of space between me and the dog in front of me, until nearly everyone is in, then I close the space between myself & the dog in front. Hopefully by then the dogs behind me are stacked and their handlers don't want them to move.

Another thing to do is say that your dog/ bitch has had a fright with whatever breed it is behind them, that way they generally tend to give you some space.

I must admit the only time this has happened with me was in sweeps and with another of my own breed.

Another thing to do is say that your dog/ bitch has had a fright with whatever breed it is behind them, that way they generally tend to give you some space.

LOL. That's exactly what the person with the breed in front of me said. I was aware of course that it was quite likely just a story, but if they wanted room I didn't mind giving it to them.

If I had moved forward in this case I think the guy behind me would have just followed me, but leaving space to move into is a good tip generally. Thanks.

Edited by Diva

Just ask the exhibitor behind you to give you some room please :) - or stop and give yourself plenty of room in front of you so that you can move up if you need to. If they are stepping into your dog and upsetting it then move your dog into the ring and make it obvious why you are doing it - make the point.

Of late I have had alot of interference from one particular exhibitor in our breed (after I beat them ofcourse :() - who stacks their dogs and then steps in front of them and stands on the rear end of my dogs and crowds on the move as well - once they actually hit my dog on the move - just bad sportsmanship and really not on (and a very experienced exhibitor as well). So I have just resorted to 'politely' asking them to make sure they give me room EVERY time I go in the ring. They are getting really sick of me saying it but too bad too sad :dancingelephant:. If they crowd me in the ring again I will stop dead and let them slam into me (I have been taught how to do it safely) - perhaps that will get the point across.

LOL. That's exactly what the person with the breed in front of me said. I was aware of course that it was quite likely just a story, but if they wanted room I didn't mind giving it to them.

If I had moved forward in this case I think the guy behind me would have just followed me, but leaving space to move into is a good tip generally. Thanks.

Not always a story though I have had a bitch of mine once attacked outside the ring, and then in general specials had the exact same breed behind her, she was beside herself, and at the time I was fairly new, and so she played up merry hell. I did ask them to move their dg back when the dog behind them was doing their workout, and the other exhibitor was aware that one of their breed had attacked one of my breed, and was more than happy to give me space when I pointed it out that she was the one attacked.

State firmly that you want the exhibitor to leave room. Do not ask as most of those sorts won't listen unless it's someone that simply didn't realize where they were and that does happen, but if it occurs frequently, they know better. If it persists, mention to the steward prior to going into the ring that you are having a problem with an exhibitor behind you, crowding/intimidating and generally not being ring polite.

the other items mentioned work as well....you have YOUR space in the ring and do not let anyone else shove you out of it....once you start sticking up for your space and your dog, generally the pushy ones will leave you be.

It's no different than someone in the breed ring, running up your dogs arse during judging....don't be afraid to stop short to make your point. If you do not stand firm with your rights to your space during judging, you will continue to be bothered by this sort of thing.

Just ask the exhibitor behind you to give you some room please :( - or stop and give yourself plenty of room in front of you so that you can move up if you need to. If they are stepping into your dog and upsetting it then move your dog into the ring and make it obvious why you are doing it - make the point.

I didn't think to move her into the ring and out of the line, that's maybe what I should have done. :)

I am pretty sure just moving forward wouldn't have helped and I did say something quietly when his dog's nose was up mine's butt, but it made no difference. That's why I went to move behind.

I'd like to have some techniques up my sleeve in case I get suprised by someone else. I'm thinking maybe I can teach mine to hold a stack with me standing behind them, to claim the space.

Angelsun, you are right I should have spoken up more firmly. It took me by suprise really, I usually show more locally and those handlers with the breeds that end up behind me here don't do it. Thank goodness.

Edited by Diva

I always though there was a rule about being two metres apart but after looking through what I have here I can't find it.

Perhaps the following might be of help though. After all it is interfering with your dog. Nothing that says double handling applies only to attracting attention of a dog. it could also mean interfering with another dog being judged, which in your case is what I understood to have happened.

Taken from DogsNSW Conformation show rules page 52 (bolding is by me)

16.7 “Double Handling” includes attracting or exciting the attention of, communicating with or

touching, handling or in any way interfering with an exhibit that is in a ring in which judging

is taking place, but does not include any activity undertaken by approval given by the Board

of Directors pursuant to Regulations 12.21 and 12.22. 06/07, 3/08

Me, i'd just tell them to back off or I'll lodge a complaint as per above. Its a pretty low thing to do in the ring. We are lucky in that we don't often get many breeds after us so we are usually end of the line (which has its own set of problems) but it has happened a few times.

Edited by yarracully

Thanks Yarracully. It wasn't a huge deal this time, my dog was unsettled but not freaked out. I just want to better equipped to deal with it next time. And to look professional doing so :champagne: .

Edited by Diva

Thanks Yarracully. It wasn't a huge deal this time, my dog was unsettled but not freaked out. I just want to better equipped to deal with it next time. And to look professional doing so :champagne: .

If you consider it a big deal or not the point of the matter, and I assume the reason you posted, is that a dog (yours) is distracted while in the ring being judged thus putting your dog at a disadvantage.

Unfortunately there are too many that do this deliberately, which in my view means they are looking to get an advantage and its usually because they are a win at all costs type.

We usually get it happening for in show classes etc where we have to line up behind the toy dog but have a gundog behind us. We have had a few instances where the person running the gundog around seem to think they have the whole ring and expect you to jump out of their way even though you might be sorting your dog out.

We even had one gundog person let their dog come up and sniff the bum of one of mine. Now the dog I had is usually quite good natured and well behaved but he spun around and showed very much that he did not care for what the dog behind him was doing. And then the person had the nerve to say "Oh he is quite vicious isn't he?" to which I just said "No he isn't. How would you like a stranger sticking his nose in your bum for a sniff?" Think they got the hint. Steward was standing in front of the toy dog before us just laughed.

Depends how serious it is. If he is crowding you constantly on the move the first thing I would do is ask him to keep back. If he ignored me I would stop dead in the ring. In the stack it is a bit harder and depends on the person. Once again first thing I would do is ask him to keep back prior to going in the ring. If he ignored me I would ask him in the ring to stop crowding and not quietly either. If he still did it I would whip my dog round and reverse stack and stand on him. When he protests I would say I asked you to keep back. Most soon learn that you won’t put up with it

Have had this happen to me in a group lineup. A very experienced handler stacked her dog very close to the rear of my dog and then stood in front of the rear of my dog - blocking the judges view of my dog.

On coming out of the ring I received some very useful advise from other experienced handlers who had seen what had happened. Leave space in front so you can move your dog forward, move your dog out of the line up, giving yourself more room, attract the stewards attention and point out that the handler is obstructing your dog.

The other thing is take it as a compliment - you and your dog obviously have this person worried. :)

Fortunately this is rarely a problem now. Having the first breed in a line up has some advantages. :rofl:

Thanks everyone.

The general consensus seems to be that I need to leave room in front to move into or move the dog out of lineup and forward to create space. If I see the same handler behind me again, I ask him to leave more space before we enter the ring. And be more assertive in telling him to back off if none of that works.

I did consider loudly asking that he get his nose out my arse, but I wasn't sure that was quite the done thing :) .

Edited by Diva

I have had the displeasure of trying to stack my dog in the best of group line up while two very well known exhibitors on either side of me were continuously edging on their dogs. My boy can be very hard to handle as he is not male dog friendly but I handle him well and he doesnt get away with anything, but to have a dobermann behind me lunging at his owner who is continuously baiting the heck out of him and trying to stack his dog as close as possible to the rear end of mine and to have the Boxer exhibitor turn his dog around to try and eyeball my boy, I had just about had enough at that stage, so I just pulled him out of his stack and the line up, and said in a voice that could be heard, that I had had enough of this crap.

I think you should suddenly whirl around to face the guilty exhibitor, point at the dog, shriek at the top of your lungs "OMG, that dog just BIT mine" and burst into hysterical tears.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you do this once or twice (regardless of whether or not you are being crowded) no one will ever crowd you again.

Only do it when I'm watching though OK? :o

:o Or OMG that exihibitor bit my dog! :vomit::rofl:

I think you should suddenly whirl around to face the guilty exhibitor, point at the dog, shriek at the top of your lungs "OMG, that dog just BIT mine" and burst into hysterical tears.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you do this once or twice (regardless of whether or not you are being crowded) no one will ever crowd you again.

Only do it when I'm watching though OK? ;)

Only do it when I'm watching though OK? :vomit:

I need to be watching this one too ok Diva?? :o

Seriously though, I had someone running close behind me in a class recently making a hell of a racket with calling, hissing and whistling, apparently to their dog... It was really hard to keep mine moving forward. Needless to say the other dog doing the chasing moved out much better than mine who was trying to turn around the whole time and see what the hell was going on. Sigh...

So I'm feeling your frustration Diva.