Endurance Test 2010

Kynan

Is anyone else thinking of doing the Endurance Test this year with their dog? I am very keen to do it this year with my two year old boy Kynan. Thought I would start this thread so we can encourage and support each other. I bought a new mountain bike last year just for the Endurance Test and over the summer got Kynan used to walking next to the bike and running next to it around the backyard.

It is 18 weeks until the ET is being held here in Adelaide so thought I should start training this week to slowly build Kynan up. For the first 6 weeks we are following the Couch to 5k programme to get Kynan running for 30 mins continuously beside the bike. If we can achieve that I will be extremely happy and then depending on how he is coping will then have 12 weeks to get him up to 10kms and then 15kms (won't attempt 20kms until test day). First session went well and Kynan still had energy when we got home and later that night!

Rules for Conduct of an Endurance Test

Preparing Your Dog for an Endurance Test

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be doing it in victoria with one of my Kelpies. The bike is sitting there- just need to pump up the tyres again!! Although I KNOW the training will be more for my benifit than the dogs LOL. I did one with my older girl- her pulse dropped but I am glad no one took mine!!!

Anyone else planing on doing in in Vic?

Do you mind me asking, why in Victoria? Is there something else on down there that you're attending? :laugh:

In a nutshell, because it's colder. A huge consideration when you have a double coated breed who dislikes running more than 5km in temps above 10 degrees.

But we are visiting lappie and keeshond friends of ours, so we will be doing other things there, too.

The rules state that they will cancel the test (no matter how far into it they are at the time) once the heat reaches 24.

ETA: I hope it's early morning in SA then. :S

Yeah they usually start super early. Hope you're a morning person! :laugh:

I will be doing it with my Australian Shepherd bitch Millie. ;) She will be two years old on Thursday the 18th. :D

Thanks for the links. What is the actual date? :laugh: I must begin perparing again.

It is Saturday 26th June at the German Shepherd Dog Club SA West Beach. It usually starts at about 8am. Would you be interested getting together closer to the date at West Beach for a couple of training runs? My main worry is getting Kynan to run in a line with other dogs and to get him used to passing and being passed.

I will be doing it with my Australian Shepherd bitch Millie. :D She will be two years old on Thursday the 18th. ;)

Thanks for the links. What is the actual date? :laugh: I must begin perparing again.

It is Saturday 26th June at the German Shepherd Dog Club SA West Beach. It usually starts at about 8am. Would you be interested getting together closer to the date at West Beach for a couple of training runs? My main worry is getting Kynan to run in a line with other dogs and to get him used to passing and being passed.

Thanks for the details re date and time. ;)

I really would if i was closer, but i live in Whyalla. its a 4 hour drive there. I'll be driving up early on Friday morning and will be coming back Sunday. I'd love to do a practise with you on the friday however. :) That's the only time i would be able too as Adelaide is just a bit too far to drive for practise. How long untill we can send in forms to attend?

I should try with my youngest. Oldest is to old now ;) . Not sure I could do 20km on a bike though :laugh: .

YES! Take Kenzie! Will she be two by then? :D

its not 20kms in one run though, it has breaks.

Although, Millie will probaby be a week off coming into season, so I really hope she doesn't come in.

I should try with my youngest. Oldest is to old now ;) . Not sure I could do 20km on a bike though :laugh: .

Yes Ness you should then we can do some training together (if you wanted to :D )

How long untill we can send in forms to attend?

Last year it was advertised in the May DogsSA Magazine with a closing date of 12th June 2009 (2009 ET was 27th June).

Is anyone going to buy a springer for practising? I know you can't use them in the test, but has anyone thought much about practising with one? to teach the dog where is the safest place to run alongside the bike? :laugh:

I have a walkydog. It's really good. Jedi runs along side the bike without it, but it's just nice to do training without having to hold the lead.