Dog With Possible 1080 (fox Bait) Poisoning?

Wilderblu

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Just had some terrible news of a friends dog being rushed to a vet with possible 1080 (fox bait) poisoning.

Anyone have any good outcomes? :laugh::rofl::(

Oh dear. I sure hope it's not 1080, that stuff is nasty and fatal. Apparently dogs can be saved from it but it really depends how much and how they consumed it, how fast they get treatment and what damage it does while racing to the vet. It's fairly fast acting. Also even if saved, some dogs develop complications later from damage done prior to treatment.

But from what I've heard around my area, if the dog is treated quickly and they didn't consume a lot, they do have a good (not brilliant but good) success rate.

Here's some info

The Vet

I am keeping my fingers, toes etc crossed that it's not 1080.

I thought this only happened in Tassie these days. It makes me so angry that its still used.

Just surfing the net on it, if the dog received treatment quickly I believe the prognosis can be full recovery. But it is an awful poison and it acts fast. Some recoveries have come with lasting side affects. Obviously there is the high risk that the poison can be fatal. From reading, I understand that part of the treatment regime is anaesthetising the dog for quite some hours, even up to 24. I think this is to try to prevent seizuring and frenzied behaviour, and so that the dog can be kept on an IV drip. The dog is moved from one side to the other every 5 or 6 hours to prevent congestion and pressure sores. Eyes need to be kept moist with drops to prevent the cornea from drying.

The chance of recovery rests with how soon the dog was taken to the Vet for treatment. If there were no clinical signs, vomiting is induced and the dog is monitored for the next 24 hours.

There is no antidote for 1080 poisoning according to my brief research and scant knowledge of it.

Wishing good thoughts for your friend's dog and hoping to hear of a good and swift recovery.

My dog died within 30 minutes of being poisoned with 1080 - apparently they don't have to ingest much at all, and there's no antidote :laugh:

Oh I am so sorry to hear that GR. I've been really careful with my guys around the issue of 1080 as we live in forestry territory here in Tas. I would be devastated if they ate any.

Yeh I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's not 1080. It's not used on the organic property where the dog was but she was seen with a bone? Not sure the bone is relevent but 1080 is used throughout the hills here and any other animal could have dropped it somewhere.

She has been to 1 vet and now going to another emergency vet....... been numerous hours since possible ingestion.

So, no clinical signs? Just suspicions?

I hope so. Even if it was "just suspicions", then the dog has a better chance of recovery due to receiving veterinary attention quickly.

:laugh:

The Veterinarian

Clinical signs of 1080 poisoning are usually noticed within half an hour of ingestion, although symptoms can take more than six hours to manifest. Initial symptoms include vomiting, anxiety and shaking. These quickly develop into frenzied behaviour with running and screaming fits, uncontrolled paddling and seizures, followed by total collapse and death from cerebral anoxia.
Edited by Erny

No she is in a terrible state. I could here her yelping in the back ground on the phone. Not sure what her symptoms are but the owner said it doesn't sound good.

I'm hoping this vet will be able to do something quick!

My guess would be if it's that advanced, there's probably only one thing the vet can do. :laugh:

I have seen mnay dogs poisoned by 1080 and not had one recover yet. If I had seen my dog had taken a 1080 bait and I could get it vomit ASAP I would do that then bolt to the vet.

If it was showing syptoms I would euthanase.

It is the most horrific poison a dog can ingest.

I will NEVER forget the male Dobe we had in with it and his owners were determined to try and treat it - I vowed after that day never to put a dog of mine through it ever.

Any chance it's a snake bite? :rofl:

Yeh I was wondering the same. I only talked to her very briefly and the owner was rather upset understandably. (vet guessed possible poisoning but I'm not sure what they did or exactly what her symptoms are/were)

I'll let you know when I know more. :laugh:

Any chance it's a snake bite? :rofl:

Yeh I was wondering the same. I only talked to her very briefly and the owner was rather upset understandably. (vet guessed possible poisoning but I'm not sure what they did or exactly what her symptoms are/were)

I'll let you know when I know more. :laugh:

Lets hope in this situation it may be a snake bite??

Best of a bad lot. Hope she is okay - thinking of your poor friend as well. What a horrible situation.