Dog With Possible 1080 (fox Bait) Poisoning?

Wilderblu

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a very cruel way to die :laugh:

Yes it is extremely cruel

I see absolutely no reason for it's continued use anywhere!!!

I agree.

The argument is as it is naturally occuring in the native scrub (Box poison plant has 1080 in it and I beleive where it is sourced from) that non target species, ie Kangeroo's wallabies possums etc are less likely to suffer any negative consequences.

Where as Strycnnine (Sp?) kills all species, even though it does have a successful treatment option if caught in time in dogs and cats. Lucijet is also the same.

I have seen dogs treated for Lucijet and Stycnnine and they have survived. Never for 1080.

Yeh I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's not 1080. It's not used on the organic property where the dog was but she was seen with a bone? Not sure the bone is relevent but 1080 is used throughout the hills here and any other animal could have dropped it somewhere.

She has been to 1 vet and now going to another emergency vet....... been numerous hours since possible ingestion.

Damn. That's so horrible for the poor dog. And your friend leading the good life and doing the 'organic' thing too - that's so unfair. Here's hoping and praying for a good outcome.

The argument is as it is naturally occuring in the native scrub (Box poison plant has 1080 in it and I beleive where it is sourced from) that non target species, ie Kangeroo's wallabies possums etc are less likely to suffer any negative consequences.

Where as Strycnnine (Sp?) kills all species, even though it does have a successful treatment option if caught in time in dogs and cats. Lucijet is also the same.

I have seen dogs treated for Lucijet and Stycnnine and they have survived. Never for 1080.

Sadly, that's not the case. In fact, these animals ARE targetted by the poison and I've seen the horrific results far too often.

In the same year, the Tasmanian Government also released statistics stating that 97,000 wallabies and brushtail possums had been poisoned by 1080, primarily through baiting programs aimed at targeting browsing and grazing native animals as part of forestry management. From The Veterinarian

1080 is a cruel, horrible barbaric way to poison foxes and dingo's and should be outlawed.

I saw a Kelpie die of 1080 poisoning many years ago and it has haunted me ever since, my ex father in law shot her, at the time(coming from the city) I was shocked that he could do that to one of his dogs but now know it was the kindest thing to do.

The bone could be relevent as often the farmer will put the 1080 in a meaty bone or rabbit carcasse depending on what they are trying to bait.A dog can also become poisoned if it eats a rabbit etc that has been poisoned with 1080.

Well she made it through the night. Maybe it isn't 1080?

She is back at the local vets on a drip. Still vomits occassionally and had a horrific temperature last night and bleeding.

I was too scared to ring my friend this morning. She is a homebred dog who is very close to my heart too. :laugh:

Anyway I'll keep you posted when I know more.

Yeh I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's not 1080. It's not used on the organic property where the dog was but she was seen with a bone? Not sure the bone is relevent but 1080 is used throughout the hills here and any other animal could have dropped it somewhere.

She has been to 1 vet and now going to another emergency vet....... been numerous hours since possible ingestion.

I lost three dogs mid last year to 1080. They used to go to our dam each morning for a swim. National Parks and the mines had been poisoning. The dogs picked up a carcase dropped by an eagle.

It was horrific as we didn't know that they had eaten poisoned meat/bones. They appeared fine, then got a look of absolute terror, whined and ran and ran.

It is a barbaric poison and something I never wish to see again.

I did not know 1080 was still used.

It's used a lot in rural area for foxes and wild dogs.

It may be put out as buried baits which are supposedly removed after a specified time if not taken. Also dropped from the air in remote areas/national parks.

My local wild dog association lays baits along the roads near my place.

I don't dispute the need to combat feral animals but 1080 is inhumane.

I did not know 1080 was still used.

It's used a lot in rural area for foxes and wild dogs.

It may be put out as buried baits which are supposedly removed after a specified time if not taken. Also dropped from the air in remote areas/national parks.

My local wild dog association lays baits along the roads near my place.

I don't dispute the need to combat feral animals but 1080 is inhumane.

I couldn't agree more - it is inhumane. Farmers are a strong lobby on the ongoing availabilty of 1080.

Its used in Tas to kill foxes BUT also to kill wildlife who eat young trees planted by Forestry. They scatter it all around their new plantations. This is why there is such a groundswell in Tassie desperately trying to get it stopped.

There are signs up telling us it's there but that's no help when it can be transported by animals, in various ways, into the towns nearby.

It IS still targetted at native wildlife and kills thousands of them. I also have to wonder if there's a link to the Devil's tumors.......

Its used in Tas to kill foxes BUT also to kill wildlife who eat young trees planted by Forestry. They scatter it all around their new plantations. This is why there is such a groundswell in Tassie desperately trying to get it stopped.

There are signs up telling us it's there but that's no help when it can be transported by animals, in various ways, into the towns nearby.

It IS still targetted at native wildlife and kills thousands of them. I also have to wonder if there's a link to the Devil's tumors.......

Yes I have heard there are some links. It wasn't long after they started using 1080 that the devils started showing these tumors.

My neighbours use them here. He loves dogs and tries his hardest to put them out at night and pick them up in the morning. Doesn't help we also have alot of crows that have been known to pick them up and drop them. I'm always cautious of what my dogs are doing when we go for runs in case they pick something up.

Sadly, that's not the case. In fact, these animals ARE targetted by the poison and I've seen the horrific results far too often.

In the same year, the Tasmanian Government also released statistics stating that 97,000 wallabies and brushtail possums had been poisoned by 1080, primarily through baiting programs aimed at targeting browsing and grazing native animals as part of forestry management. From The Veterinarian

Yep agreed. I think they like to think it doesn't kill them, but it kills everything.

Three quarters of our farm got leased out to trees and they do bait-they let us know when. I am always very vigilent as I know the crows and other birds will move it not to mention the foxes.

As I said I would euth a dog of mine if it was showing signs - to watch it is extremely traumatic, never mind what the dog goes through.

Glad to hear your friends dog made it through the night. I hope there is more good news to come.