Sydney And Ticks

Rebanne

so as not to hijack the other thread currently going :(

I will be visiting Sydney for a week at Easter time, I have never had to deal with ticks in over 30 years of dog ownership, what do I need to do to keep my greyhounds tick free? Anything else I should be aware of? ie other creep crawlies that may hop aboard.

We're in the north-western suburbs of Sydney (Cherrybrook to be precise) and our young guy picked up a tick on Christmas Day (!). We think in our friend's backyard in Castle Hill. He's OK now, but it was not a good experience... When I picked him up from the emergency hospital the day after Boxing Day they had at least 2 other dogs in there with the effects of ticks. So we've learnt that it's not that uncommon in our area.

We also learnt that using Frontline Plus every 2 weeks obviously did not offer the protection that it's supposed to... I'm still using the Frontline Plus but am now also drenching him with Fido's Rinse Concentrate once a week (although it supposedly only offers protection for 3 days). With all this rain and the humidity I'm actually a little happy that he's a big woose and doesn't like going on the wet grass!

Having said all that - noone else we know has had a tick problem in the area though... we were just the "lucky" ones.

regards

In Sydney, ticks are common in the northern and eastern suburbs but can occur in the northwest (Hills district). I have never heard of any dog picking one up in the west or southwest, so it all depends on where abouts in Sydney, you are headed and what route you are taking to get here. All the NSW coast is considered high risk for ticks.

Frontline Plus every two weeks but you will need to worry about fleas more than ticks where you will be staying and showing. There are no ticks where you are staying and the showgrounds are ok too. Just stay out of the bush areas. Start the frontline now and you will be fine. Paige wouldnt let her mum or bro get a nasty tick.

Frontline Plus every two weeks but you will need to worry about fleas more than ticks where you will be staying and showing. There are no ticks where you are staying and the showgrounds are ok too. Just stay out of the bush areas. Start the frontline now and you will be fine. Paige wouldnt let her mum or bro get a nasty tick.

:o lol what about the fleas? :offtopic:

Okay got some tips so we will be flea and tick safe.

No idea Kavik. I assumed it is the no body fat thing but I used it of Lily (no fat IG) and Jacqui (fatty IG) and also Skadi grey when she was a fatty also. Although obviously not fat like other dogs can be. Skinny Lily was the worst affected. Very depressed and I kept poking her to make sure she was alive. Skadi and Jacqui were not much better. Lasted for about a week and then they were ok again

We are off to a newfie meet this weekend and the vet here advised us to use Frontline for the trip. So we did them about 5 days ago. three big dogs is a very expensive deal $56.00 :(. I am glad I do not have to do this fortnightly. We do not have ticks or fleas where we live. But I did not want to risk it this weekend.