My Camera Is Broken

becandcharch

I'm so bummed :laugh:

Last night I was using my camera at a function and an message came up saying Error 99 - Shooting is not possible Turn power switch to off and on again or re-install battery.

I tried this and it didnt work. Then it told me my CF wasnt formatted (I have been using it for weeks) and then wiped all of my photos.

I just took it to Michael's and they said $88 for a quote and estimated about $400 to fix the shutter. Also 4 weeks turn around time :laugh:

Teds said $60 for a quote and approx $600 to fix the shutter. The guys at Teds was great and tried every possible option to fix it there. He has my camera and has many people come in with the same problem.

Anywoo he told me the name of where they send it to be fixed so I dont have to wait as long and im going there after work.

I'm in tears as I use my camera every day and even had my first paid job this weekend (just a kids birthday party and wasnt getting paid a lot BUT STILL!)

Hoping I can borrow one from a friend but it is a 1000d and I want my 40D!

Last night was the launch of our new business and I lost all of the photos. Michaels said they could try and retrieve them for $150.

Starting our own business means you dont have $$$$$ just lying around. This also means I wont be able to get my Sigma 70-200mm :rofl:

Ok, im finished now. Thanks for listening.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! this is just awful, how old is your camera. Have you thought about contacting Canon direct. I've heard that sometimes in the US Canon will fix stuff for free if they feel it's a fault, even if it's out of warranty. Maybe it's worth a shot to contact them in Sydney, I think that's the head office in Australia.

Also isn't there a recovery disc you get with your camera when you buy it. I think I have one for my 400D. If I was you I would at least ask for advice and suggestions on POTN, the Canon enthusiasts forum. good luck

Oh no that is terrible =/ hopefully you get it back alot faster then 4 weeks =|

Must have been the night for it last night, my laptop died and I need it really badly it is a lost cause so I will have to buy another. I am finally considering a switch to the dark side . . . . A mac book but they aren't cheap either (well they are considering but not when I don't have the money to happily spend)

I think there was an evil anti electronics bug out last night, trashing things here and there :laugh:

Oh no! this is just awful, how old is your camera. Have you thought about contacting Canon direct. I've heard that sometimes in the US Canon will fix stuff for free if they feel it's a fault, even if it's out of warranty. Maybe it's worth a shot to contact them in Sydney, I think that's the head office in Australia.

Also isn't there a recovery disc you get with your camera when you buy it. I think I have one for my 400D. If I was you I would at least ask for advice and suggestions on POTN, the Canon enthusiasts forum. good luck

Its 2 years old. Cam not knowing any better bought in online and it came from China :laugh: The guy at Michaels kept going on about how if I had bought it there they would be able to replace it blah blah blah.

I cut him off and said sorry but what point is there in you telling me this! I didnt and so you cant!

No harm in contacting Canon. Thanks Kirislin.

Altheau by bloody eftpos card wouldnt work this morning either! It worked only yesterday. Maybe the gods were just telling me to not spend money because i'll need it for my camera!

Edited by becandcharch

How many actuations (I think that's what it's called) has your camera had, I thought they were supposed to last for about 100,000.

Hmmm.. i'll let you know when I work out what an actuation is! I think that might mean a big fat 0

Edited to add this guy :laugh:

Just googled and see that its shutter clicks? Not sure where I get this from??

Edited by becandcharch

How many actuations (I think that's what it's called) has your camera had, I thought they were supposed to last for about 100,000.

Hmmm.. i'll let you know when I work out what an actuation is! I think that might mean a big fat 0

serves me right for using techno talk when I am not sure myself, I think it means how many times has the shutter been used, which apparently isn't necessarily the number of photos it's taken, although if you know how many shots you've taken it would give you a pretty good idea.

I dont understand why coming from China is such a bad thing, surely the cameras are still made in Japan by Canon. They aren't counterfeits, do they deliberately make crappy ones for the Chinese? I dont think so, but I am happy to have someone explain it to me.

Oh, and I wonder if Michaels were telling the truth when they said they'd replace it for you. How long is their guarantee? He might have just been saying it to make you feel bad.

Edited by Kirislin

Oh no that sucks. I hope it can be repaired and you can be on the way to your 70-200 again.

Some apps, including Photoshop can tell you how many shutter releases from EXIF as it can be written into the info (well it is on my D80).

Am also getting pee'd off with shops telling me about grey imports, like its better to buy it from your overpriced shop (rant over!)

Anyway... Bec, hope it all works out.... have you looked at rental shops (can be about $150 for a weekend)

Oh no that sucks. I hope it can be repaired and you can be on the way to your 70-200 again.

Some apps, including Photoshop can tell you how many shutter releases from EXIF as it can be written into the info (well it is on my D80).

Am also getting pee'd off with shops telling me about grey imports, like its better to buy it from your overpriced shop (rant over!)

Anyway... Bec, hope it all works out.... have you looked at rental shops (can be about $150 for a weekend)

Yeah the guy at Michaels chose the wrong very upset and angry chick to tell what she SHOULD have done :crossfingers: Dont help me now buddy!

I looked at the rentals at Michaels and they had a 50d for 200 and something for the weekend. Hoping I can borrow by mates but it wont be the same.

Sorry I am feeling very sorry for myself!

Oh Im so sorry to hear of this....I had issues last month- the sd card broke (in camera-of course). Its like a sad helpless feeling- you are powerless to help 'revive' your best friend. Aside from being totally untimely.

Where have you considered taking it...several friends and dol ppl have told me Shutterbox in Camberwell is good.

Bec after looking at that thread I saw there's heaps of them, and the 40D seems to get this alot. Here's some more threads on error 99. You might find a fix in there too, some people have cleaned contacts and things and it's come right.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/search...archid=15671336

I agree with what JS has said about Canon possibly having an obligation to repair, it's worth a shot. Remind them if they fix it you will buy a 70-200, just dont tell them it will be a Sigma :crossfingers:

Thanks guys :eek:

JS I will give them a call and see what they say. Thanks for the advice on the 1000d.

I will get the photos off the card if possible. Just not right now.

Kirislin the guy at Teds took everything out and cleaned it. He had seen this problem so many times he knew what to try. Then I heard the words I didnt want to hear 'This does not look good' :crossfingers:

Thanks for trying to help everyone.

Oh man! I just called the Canon Sydney Customer Care line, went through a bazillion prompts, get to the end and hear 'due to unforseen circumstances we are unable to take your call, please try again later!'

NOT.MY.DAY.

Hmm which little guy is most appropriate .. :crossfingers: It would be better if smoke came out his ears.

Oh and thanks tlc!

Oh noes :mad:):o

You can borrow my 50D for the weekend if you pay for shipping and insurance there and back. I'll email you x

Big bloody oh noes Ruth.

Your a star, thanks for the massive offer!!!!! :eek:

I cant believe your not offering me your 5D Mark II with your 70-200mm 2.8 ISL .. Geez i'm so upset in my time of need it would really make me feel better! :crossfingers:

Oh noes :):o :o

You can borrow my 50D for the weekend if you pay for shipping and insurance there and back. I'll email you x

Big bloody oh noes Ruth.

Your a star, thanks for the massive offer!!!!! :mad

I cant believe your not offering me your 5D Mark II with your 70-200mm 2.8 ISL .. Geez i'm so upset in my time of need it would really make me feel better! :crossfingers:

I know, I'm a selfish cow! :eek: