Gotta Love The Oldies.

tlc

Hi guys, I just wanted to post some pics of my old girl Holly, she turned 18 in December and she is still soldiering on like a trooper, she is a little deaf now in that she cant tell which direction I'm calling from but apart from that I dont think she looks her age, she still eats like a trooper and likes to lay outside in the warm sun. I took her to the vets for a check up a few months ago and he said she was in excellent health, she had a couple of calcified bits on her teeth which he removed and he was suprised by her age. She has only ever been to the vets twice in her whole life, the first time for desexing and then for the check up. She never goes away from home, she is always where I can see her. She gets on fine with the dogs, we call her the queen of the house!! I dont know how I will cope when she is gone, she had been my best buddy for 18 years, I think/hope she has a few more in her yet!!

DSC_0278-2.jpg

DSC_0293-2.jpg

DSC_0297-2.jpg

DSC_0302-2.jpg

DSC_0308-2.jpg

DSC_0312-2.jpg

DSC_0324-2.jpg

Edited by tlc

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh she is beautiful! 18 is a remarkable age, testament to how well she has been cared for :laugh:

I completely agree with your comment 'gotta love the oldies', they are so very special. I have a 17yo Kelpie girl who has only been with me 6 months and I had no idea how completely besotted I would become with her. She amazes me everyday and I feel very privileged to have her..

Caz :laugh:

Thanks, yes I think having a pet that is into thier twighlight years is really something special, Our old dog was 16 when we had to make the heart breaking decision to have him pts, I would say to date it is up there as one of the hardest days of my life.

Maybe we could make this thread into a post up your oldies for everyone, sorry if this has been done before?

This is Nike, she is 16 and she belongs to one of the trainers at our obedience school, nicknamed "Nanna" Nike by Tez (another DOLer) she loves to wander in and around the other dogs especially the puppys, When they all over her she just tolerates them she is great, She is very deaf but can still smell the treats and occasionally cons a handler out of one or two.

P1120702.jpg

P1120741.jpg

P1120744.jpg

P1120701.jpg

P1120698.jpg

P1120696.jpg

Meet Jess, my 16 year old Kelpie. I have had Jess since she was 6 weeks old when I got given her at a farm clearance sale. We have been through a marriage, a baby, a divorce and the death of some of my other dogs together. I feel she has been faithfully next to me when no-one else was sometimes and she is my darling shadow, every night she sleeps next to my bed and keeps the young dogs in order :)

post-28340-1266746216_thumb.jpg

I love the oldies too!!

Robbi, it sounds like Jess is living life to the fullest with you. Bet your glad you were at that sale that day!!

MM, Tinka's adorable!!

16 is a grand age for sure, our old dog was 16 when he went to the bridge, hardest decision we have ever had to make. I wonder how many people wish thier older pets just go peacfully in thier sleep, because to make the decision to let them go is just the worst thing ever!! I think about this with Holly because of her age, but she still has a ways to go yet. Didnt mean to get morbid.... :champagne:

Hope to see some more pics of some seniors doggy citizens!!

Edited by tlc

This is a great thread. Here is a photo of our girl Tasha (rip). When she was about twelve years old I came down one morning to let her in. She used to sleep outside in the summer. We had a group of people over the night before and her bed was moved under a tree. I woke up to her standing at the door with a baby possum hanging onto her neck. It was not what I was expecting on Sunday morning!!

To make a long story short, it turns out the the mother possum had tried to get back into her possum box but couldn't fit through the hole with the baby on her back and it got knocked off. Tasha's bed was underneath and so baby clung onto Tasha. She must have had it on her for a couple of hours. She didn't try to hurt it but she certainly looked at me like " GET THIS THING OFF ME!!!" :champagne::cheer::laugh:

olisholidaypics197.jpg

This is Nike, she is 16 and she belongs to one of the trainers at our obedience school, nicknamed "Nanna" Nike by Tez (another DOLer) she loves to wander in and around the other dogs especially the puppys, When they all over her she just tolerates them she is great, She is very deaf but can still smell the treats and occasionally cons a handler out of one or two.

P1120702.jpg

P1120741.jpg

P1120744.jpg

P1120701.jpg

P1120698.jpg

P1120696.jpg

Hi tlc, I am writing an article on Degenerative Joint Disease and was wondering if you would mind if I could use Nanna Nike's picture in my article please. She is just beautiful!

Awww some gorgeous oldies here.

This is my Kia, at 14 (elderly for a giant breed), 6 weeks before losing her battle with hemangiosarcoma.

She was partially deaf and stumbled a bit at times but so gentle and sweet right up until the end.

She was much more red in her youth, in her old age she became more golden and her muzzle became white.

I still miss her.

or6x8.jpg

6x8.jpg

RIP sweet girl. :o

I LOVE the oldies - they are so terribly special :o

Here is a pic of my 12yo cattle dog - Chloe. She has Cushings disease, has been through 2 major knee operations, has arthritis... and yet, she will still bounce like a puppy... and she still marches on, regardless of age or injury, regardless of fear. She is the most courageous, loyal and loving dog I've ever met. I can't honestly say what my life would be like without Chloe - I don't want to imagine it, she's my best friend in the world... and the day my family loses Chloe, she will take a huge part of us all. But, year after year she soldiers on... and for a dog who has numerous health issues - you'd never pick she's 12 years old. She has taught me many life lessons about patience, dedication, commitment, loyalty, facing your fears, and never giving up... even when the odds are stacked against you.

Here's my lovely old girl. I adore her.

post-8152-1266903090_thumb.jpg

post-8152-1266903132_thumb.jpg

Danelady, I would like to outright say yes go ahead and use the pictures as I took them, but I probly should check with Nikes owner before I said yes. How soon do you need to use the pictures?

So glad people are posting thier oldies, great shots everyone!!

Danelady, I would like to outright say yes go ahead and use the pictures as I took them, but I probly should check with Nikes owner before I said yes. How soon do you need to use the pictures?

So glad people are posting thier oldies, great shots everyone!!

Thank you so much tlc, if you wouldn't mind checking with Nanna Nikes owner that would be great. This article will be going on my website as soon as it is finished. Its help and tips for dogs with arthritis and what owners can do to help.