Moving With Dog

W Sibs

I'm moving in a week or two. Depending if I get this place or not. I just realised I've never moved house with a dog before! But, my (silly) question is:

Should I bring Charlie after I move and mostly unpacked? or should I bring him to the place before and then unpack?

What did you guys end up doing?

I'm trying to figure out the best possible way of doing this. The people I trust Charlie with will be helping me move. My parents place is too far and since they've adopted my brother's black cat (Evil Ninja).. Charlie doesn't like it there. Ninja and him ain't friends.. lol.

Advice DOLers! Please :confused:

When we moved we put diesel in kennels for the weekend moved then picked him up he wasnt phased as he is a pretty laid back dog but i rember others saying to acclimatise dogs to new surounds slowly, i guess it depends on charlie

Edited by SBT303

My dogs were the last thing to come here when we moved in. I figured they would need to get used to the new place and its best for them to do that while i'm here, and best for them not to be left here while I'm running back and forth moving things!

I leave the dogs at the old house the entire time, in their crates, not wandering around getting underfoot or getting loaded in the truck/trailer. Once the old place is empty I let them have a look around (usually they're very excited by all the changes) then take them to the new place along with their crates. They are allowed a look around the new place, then their crates are set up where-ever they're going to be permanently (we don't have crates in the lounge room) and they put away while we try to make some sense of the mess.

Edited by Sandra777

Are you moving yourself or with a mover?

When moving ourselves (usually a mission of several loads) I leave the dogs at the old house the entire time, in their crates, not wandering around getting underfoot or getting loaded in the truck/trailer. Once the old place is empty I let them have a look around (usually they're very excited by all the changes) then take them to the new place along with their crates. They are allowed a look around the new place, then their crates are set up where-ever they're going to be permanently (we don't have crates in the lounge room) and they put away while we try to make some sense of the mess.

If you're moving with professional movers they will say very rude words to you if let the dog get in their way so either make sure he's safely confined (the spare bedroom won't do, they're bound to let him out) OR send him to a friend's place for the day.

Moving myself. I don't have that much things to need a mover.

Plus I have a boyfriend and a lot of male cousins... I will take full advantage of their services! :confused:

Yeah, Charlie will be definitely be in his crate while we are moving.

As a single person (with no family to care for the dog) I used to move the contents to the new place. Then I'd take the dog along to help wiht the unpacking :laugh: . I moved 6 times with my mini poodle.

Wow.. 6 times?!

I have always moved my stuff in then moved the animals once our furniture etc is in. The unpacking can be done with them there. Hope your move goes smoothly.

I think the theme here is to move everything first and then bring Charlie over :laugh:

When we got this house Rams was the first thing I 'unpacked' because we had no furniture or anything at the time there was nothing to unpack until it all got return from the cleaners (had a house fire) Took us nearly 4 weeks to get a new house and Rams was staying at my boss' house for that time so I could only see him 3 days a week for a while. It broke my heart so he was the first thing to come home :confused:

We are moving in the next few months and this question has popped into my head too! I think Ill be moving the majority of everything into the new place then bring the dogs and the goat over and continue to unpack. They arent too fussed by anything. The cat however will be in the dog crate until the new house is set up exactly the same so as not to freak him out.

I remember when we moved to Brissie from Sydney and it was just me, my 1 year old son, our golden, kelipe x and cat sleeping on blankets in the lounge room of an empty house. :confused: I think that was the best slumber party I've ever had. :laugh:

My OH had taken everything up by truck and we drove up the next day and mostly everything was unpacked.

We've moved five times since then and each time the dogs are left at the house until everything is out and then come to the new place to help unpack and settle in. I normally put the dog out the back or in the laundry with large bones while everything is moving as it keeps them occupied and out of the way.

Have fun moving. Glad it's you and not me.....again :laugh:

My rule of thumb when moving has always been this... if moving is not done entirely in one day, then I sleep (and my dogs sleep) wherever the fridge is. I find you can do without most things except what is in the fridge.

Good luck with your move. I HATE moving, and hence why I try to it as little as possible.

I have moved a couple of times with Orbit. Each time I've left him at work for the weekend, then brought him home once everything is unpacked and settled. He's generally a pretty laid back dog, but I think this was easiest for him because it meant we could just chill out and let him get his bearings without having stuff in boxes all over the place.

I took Bob with me to the real estate aganet when I picked up the keys after the settlement.

We went strait to the house and sepnt the night there with only a blow up bed a camp chair and my parents as we were going to move the stuff the next day.

Don't the dogs do every trip with you? LOL They're great at supervising the unpacking and checking out whose getting which room etc...... well thats the way we've always done it :thumbsup: Good luck with it all, I hate moving and I've moved more times than I care to remember and I'm sure I will again. LOL

:laugh: I've never even thought about it. We've moved many times with kids, dogs, cats, fish, even a turtle :)

Every time, even driving interstate etc, EVERYONE is together. One in , all in. :thumbsup:

Firstly I have no one who I'd leave any of them with, secondly, well, I guess even if I did I wouldn't. It's never been difficult or a problem. All the animals settle easily. I think if 'you' are there, they are fine. They like to be with their humans,

I just helped ninahartland from Dol rescue move a couple of days ago. 4 dogs :hug: the trip was only a couple of hours to pick them up, then back here. The dogs were perfect and fine and settled as soon as they got to their new house. no issues. :) xxx

my lot LOVE the unpacking ;) :laugh::rofl:

Guest belgian.blue
my lot LOVE the unpacking

My cat LOVES to help unpack! When I moved here a year ago Ivy was brought over here first thing and left in the yard. Didn't want to leave her at my old place as she'd go nuts. She was really calm and not bothered by being left here, the yard was full of new smells.