Advice About Speying Bitches

brightonrock

I'm asking for opinions about speying bitches. Does the possibility of incontinence in bitches after speying outweigh the health advantages of speying ?

Do breeders always get their older bitches speyed or do they reach an age where it makes no difference to their health ?

Do breeders find the best reason for speying the bitches is a calmer home if you own an entire dog ?

No I don't think so

I get mine done as soon as I know they are not going to be bred from again, the risk of pyo increases with each season

Not for me as my stud dogs have never carried on like pork chops, although the lack of hormones does seem to calm the bitches down. Bitches are bitches and will fight amongst themselves, especially when someone is coming in or out of season.

I and all my breeder friends spey all bitches when they are finished breeding and showing, usually around 8-10 years. Our breed is often shown until this age but most of us would prefer to be able to spey as soon as they are finished breeding, if we could still show them. I find very little difference in attitude or temperament and the number one reason to spey is to reduce the chance of pyometra. I have known of too many bitches that have had to have emergency surgery for pyo, to risk it in an old bitch.

, although the lack of hormones does seem to calm the bitches down.

When you say the lack of hormones does seem to calm the bitches down do you mean this as a good thing or that they lose some of their personality and sort of get old ?

They don't lose any personality. Bitches know when other bitches are coming in and going out and they can get very aggressive with each other. Some can have a very short fuse, where normally they get along between seasons.

The incidence of spey incontinence is not high, but it is always a concern. It is important to have a good surgeon do the spey - or an experienced one at least.

I have mine speyed for the same reason SBT does. To negate the possibility of pyo. Not all unspeyed bitches are going to get it,but it is one less thing to worry about, and yes, I have had older bitches speyed. No incontinence.

And I find their personalities and temperaments do not change in the slightest.

I think too much weight has been given to desexing causing behaviour/temperament/personality changes.