Need Help Pregnant Bitch Not Eating Much

britt3

HI ALL

I am in a bit of a bother I have a 6wk pregnant cavie, & she is not eating much at all.... I have been feeding her EUKANUBA PUPPY she eats a little bit & thats its.....when i would feed her if she hadnt eaten it in ten mins would take it away & try later, but that didnt work... so i thought if i left it there, she could just help herself, she did eat it but over the whole day....... i did not want to start feeding her chicken ect as then she would expect this all the time....besides her dry food have been feeding her chicken necks & chick frames though she eats her chicken necks she isnt to fussed on the frames, I know she should be eating alot more at this stage in her pregnancy but shes not, I have tried giving her several small meals a day as well have even tried NUTRIGEL...........I feed her some chicken this morning though she ate some, but not as much I had hoped for. tried giving her some milk but snuffed her nose up at it.... does anyone have any suggestions???? Is this normal???? I am at my whits end..... in saying all this she is happy in herself..... she is still enjoying her walks & playing ball.........

any sugestions would be most helpful

I agree relax, she sounds like she is doing fine if she is still playing and walking :laugh: Shes still getting some food in, some dogs wont touch anything at all! (my bitch went right off for a few days so I got some nutrigel on my finger and just wiped it on her hew tounge. (made me feel better I think!)

(First litter? :rock: )

Edited by Missymoo

Normal although some are worse than others. My Asya ate about 10% of her normal rations the entire time until the last week where nothing passed her mouth. She was extremely skinny but once the puppies were born she started eating normally and no further issues

It is very normal for some girls to go off their food around this time especially if she has a belly full and not much stomach room.

Try giving her different things ie chicken necks, dry food mixed with tin cat food, cat dry food etc. You may find she will eat some now and then refuse to touch it again.

When my girls are eating less I supplement them with nutrigel a few times a day, it is fantastic stuff. Your girl may look very skinny by the time she has whelped but they normally put the weight back on very quickly once the pups are out and there is room again.

My pups have always been a very good weight even if the girls have barely eaten for last few weeks.

While your girl is still happy in her self I would not worry.

Leanne

I agree relax, she sounds like she is doing fine if she is still playing and walking :laugh: Shes still getting some food in, some dogs wont touch anything at all! (my bitch went right off for a few days so I got some nutrigel on my finger and just wiped it on her hew tounge. (made me feel better I think!)

(First litter? :rock: )

yes is my first litter................. am so excited.....

It is very normal for some girls to go off their food around this time especially if she has a belly full and not much stomach room.

Try giving her different things ie chicken necks, dry food mixed with tin cat food, cat dry food etc. You may find she will eat some now and then refuse to touch it again.

When my girls are eating less I supplement them with nutrigel a few times a day, it is fantastic stuff. Your girl may look very skinny by the time she has whelped but they normally put the weight back on very quickly once the pups are out and there is room again.

My pups have always been a very good weight even if the girls have barely eaten for last few weeks.

While your girl is still happy in her self I would not worry.

Leanne

Thanks leanne am so relieved that this is normal behaviour, thats what I was dreading that she would be skinny once she had her pups... & would hate the thought of people thinking I hadnt looked after her.........

feel so much better thanks everybody......

Thanks leanne am so relieved that this is normal behaviour, thats what I was dreading that she would be skinny once she had her pups... & would hate the thought of people thinking I hadnt looked after her.........

I had a girl they lived for the last 8 days of her pregnancy on only nutrigel, if she tried to eat she would just vomit it back up. She ended up having 12 pups all of really good weights that you would expect for a litter half that size. She was so skinny and I kept waiting for the RSPCA to come and get me. As soon as she finished whelping she ate 1kg chicken mince mixed with dry and had put 3 kgs back on within 48 hours. As soon as her bowl was empty she was looking for more :laugh:

It can be stressing on you but unless she is unwell I would not worry.

Leanne

I had a girl they lived for the last 8 days of her pregnancy on only nutrigel, if she tried to eat she would just vomit it back up. She ended up having 12 pups all of really good weights that you would expect for a litter half that size. She was so skinny and I kept waiting for the RSPCA to come and get me. As soon as she finished whelping she ate 1kg chicken mince mixed with dry and had put 3 kgs back on within 48 hours. As soon as her bowl was empty she was looking for more :confused:

It can be stressing on you but unless she is unwell I would not worry.

Leanne

I guess its like when women are pregnant some are sick right through ( like me lol) & others it doesnt affect, hence why I only had one child.....you really do feel for them, though must say she is been very spoiled, she ate some lamb & minced beef yesterday arvo...... not a huge amount but at least was something & this morning she ate her 3 chicken necks... we went & got our whelping box this morning, & got my goodies from whelping supplies, all I have to get now is one of those dry beds.....

My girl got very fussy for the last 3-4 weeks or so of pregnancy. I was lucky I was home with her so was able to give her many small meals, I found that she would also eat something a few times then get sick of it and I would have to try something else. I found tinned fish (tuna, salmon or sardines), tinned cat food, various Dog rolls/loafs (especially PRIME 100% beef mince), and minced carcasses etc all rotated kept her interested and going. Her babies are now 4.5 weeks old and she is not at all fussy now, so I wouldn't worry about that happening!! In fact, soon as the pups were content and had had a feed and she got her energy back, she wolfed down a bowl of plain kibble LOL.

I don't think not eating is normal at all.

When they reach 5 - 6 weeks, there isn't much room for food, so they need 2 - 3 smaller feeds per day. They usually prefer softer foods, which rules out most of the dry food (except as CL says, if soaked in hot water to soften). I agree with SBT, raw food, and necks and wings, it's a lot for a cavvy to eat a frame, specially when pregnant. Think "small and easy to eat". Scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese are a hit here.

When the system is busy with something - ie, pregnancy - it often doesn't do too well with other things, such as digestion. So you need to take that into account. Bitches often know what they need to eat, but we have to offer it to them, and if it is right, they will eat.

You don't want the bitch coming up to whelping as fat as a pig, but you want her in good condition so she whelps normally, and the milk comes down as it should. If she comes up to whelping in poor condition, she'll be as skinny as a rail in a few days, particularly if she wont eat post whelping, and some of them are so concerned about their pups, they don't eat well.

Sometimes they appreciate a little stew - meat, maybe a sliver of liver, and a few veges, stewed up nice and soft with just a little water.

I give mine cows milk occasionally, so they retain the ability to digest it. Pre and post whelping, if they are going to be difficult about eating I have never found one yet which rejected cooked rolled oats, milk, an egg and honey. They wolf it down, and the oats has been proven to help produce milk. And that's enough to keep a lactating bitch in good order for a few days until she will accept "normal" food

And of course, there's the old "never fail" - warm bbq chicken!! :(

post-438-1267095007_thumb.jpg

I don't think not eating is normal at all.

When they reach 5 - 6 weeks, there isn't much room for food, so they need 2 - 3 smaller feeds per day. They usually prefer softer foods, which rules out most of the dry food (except as CL says, if soaked in hot water to soften). I agree with SBT, raw food, and necks and wings, it's a lot for a cavvy to eat a frame, specially when pregnant. Think "small and easy to eat". Scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese are a hit here.

When the system is busy with something - ie, pregnancy - it often doesn't do too well with other things, such as digestion. So you need to take that into account. Bitches often know what they need to eat, but we have to offer it to them, and if it is right, they will eat.

You don't want the bitch coming up to whelping as fat as a pig, but you want her in good condition so she whelps normally, and the milk comes down as it should. If she comes up to whelping in poor condition, she'll be as skinny as a rail in a few days, particularly if she wont eat post whelping, and some of them are so concerned about their pups, they don't eat well.

Sometimes they appreciate a little stew - meat, maybe a sliver of liver, and a few veges, stewed up nice and soft with just a little water.

I give mine cows milk occasionally, so they retain the ability to digest it. Pre and post whelping, if they are going to be difficult about eating I have never found one yet which rejected cooked rolled oats, milk, an egg and honey. They wolf it down, and the oats has been proven to help produce milk. And that's enough to keep a lactating bitch in good order for a few days until she will accept "normal" food

And of course, there's the old "never fail" - warm bbq chicken!! :laugh:

THANKS FOR THAT JED...... she wont touch dry food at all even soaked though she is eating her chicken necks, & will offer her anything I am eating as well, she will eat some but not a great deal.... though she is quite happy in herself, though shes feeling like a big fat blob at the moment I do understand where your coming from but if they to snuff there nose up at it you cant force feed them either, thats the frustrating part of it... only have 12days to go before she is due, then hopefully she goes back to her normal appetite.. fingers crossed

Yes, I know, and some cavs are little princesses! A range of soft easily digested food a few times a day does it here. And the old bbq chicken never fails, in my experience. I find if it is a big fancy - scrambled eggs, cooked stew, they are more likely to go for it, but a lot of bitches don't really want to eat. Don't stress. (I do, which is why I know about many tempting foods!!)/ None of mine will touch dry when preg. Oh, dog sausage often works. Cut up fine, of course, and sauteed in butter often helps. (really) :thumbsup: