Kenny Has A Lump On His Chest

mantis

Noticed that Kenny's chest looked larger than normal, so I felt it & he has a lump about the size of a golf ball. It doesn't cause him pain when I sqeeze it, being nearly 12 years old & the fact I can't afford a huge Vet bill, I am hoping that it is just a non malignant lump.

Having it checked out might save you a lot of worry.

My Lily has a lump on her chest. I've had it checked out and its nothing sinister.

What ever you do keep an eye on its size. If it starts to grow get it checked.

Thanks PF that makes me feel better. Unfortunately I can't afford Vets at the moment, because people don't want to employ people over 50. All my money goes to feeding Kenny & paying rent & bills.

It shouldnt cost that much to just get a fine needle aspirate done :laugh: If it is just a fatty lipoma, it should be able to be confirmed :) Will also save you wondering and stressing over it :eek:

Edit: Just saw your above post...

Even if you could borrow 100ish from a friend/relative that *should* be enough to get it checked out

Edited by jrm88

My Lily has a lump on her chest. I've had it checked out and its nothing sinister.

Thanks PF that makes me feel better. Unfortunately I can't afford Vets at the moment, because people don't want to employ people over 50. All my money goes to feeding Kenny & paying rent & bills.

I understand. Hope things improve. Get it checked when you can and I hope it stays nice and small. IF you can pull it away from his chest and its moveable, that's often a good thing.

Your vet may let you delay payment or pay a bill off - I've had to ask for that before. Dogs have no sense of timing when it comes to money.

Edited by poodlefan

I understand. Hope things improve. Get it checked when you can and I hope it stays nice and small. IF you can pull it away from his chest and its moveable, that's often a good thing.

Your vet may let you delay payment or pay a bill off - I've had to ask for that before. Dogs have no sense of timing when it comes to money.

Yes I can, it's just like this loose lump of fat.

Get a fine needle aspiration to make sure it's nothing sinister. Including vet consult should cost well under $100.

Is the lump where is sternum is? Apparently it is quite common for fatty lumps to occur there as dogs are always knocking and bumping that area.

Get a fine needle aspiration to make sure it's nothing sinister. Including vet consult should cost well under $100.

Is the lump where is sternum is? Apparently it is quite common for fatty lumps to occur there as dogs are always knocking and bumping that area.

Yes iit is on the sternum.

That's where Lil's is. Vet told me if it does have to come out at some stage, there's plenty of skin to work with there.

That's where Lil's is. Vet told me if it does have to come out at some stage, there's plenty of skin to work with there.

Kenny is nearly 12, which is old for his breed, even if I could afford it, the chanxe of him dying from the surgery is a worse risk.

Fat lump probably. Magnus has one on his side. Keep an eye on it, if it grows quickly, worry then :confused: Could be a sebaceous cyst - nothing to worry about either, but if it is, it may have a small hole in the top or you may be able to squeeze something out of it (without squeezing too hard).

Old dogs get lumps.

Fat lump probably. Magnus has one on his side. Keep an eye on it, if it grows quickly, worry then :o Could be a sebaceous cyst - nothing to worry about either, but if it is, it may have a small hole in the top or you may be able to squeeze something out of it (without squeezing too hard).

Old dogs get lumps.

That's what I'm hoping, Kenny is stilll a fat guts & doesn't seem in pain, so I will just keep an eye on him & love him. :confused:

Even if the vets just feel it they will normally know if it's a fatty lump or not, not saying that it's 100% fool proof though! :confused:

My old boy has numerous fatty lumps on his chest, they grow but not a huge amount, I just keep an eye on them, it is quite common to get them there. Hopefully you find out what it is exactly or you have found some useful info on here :o

As long as the lump doesn't seem to have roots or feel attached to anything, I'd not panic... if it gets bigger quickly, then you need to see a vet...

My old girl was covered in fatty lumps, but most of hers were pea sized... after the 2nd one came up, the vet showed me what to look for, and reassured me that if they felt like those, they weren't anything too nasty...

T.

One of my mums wee chi x's has little lumps all over her. We have had them checked a few times, sent off and all, and no vet can say what they are. They dont bother her and shes a healthy little bugger so weve just left it. The vet called them "Old dog lumps" :confused:

Shes 14 now and going strong. I hope Kenny's is the same. I know what it's like to not have money for the vet trust me, so frustrating, but if you can't do it right now, you can't do it. Good luck :o

ETA: Just saw tdierikx's post, sounds exactly the same as this little girl.

Edited by Aussie3

Lumps can be a worry, and no I certainly wouldnt flame you for not going to the vet.

Our Morgan had a lump the other month on her shoulder blade. I didnt like the feel of it but I didnt rush her off to the vet but aspirated it myself. Withdrew fluid and drained it every day.

The lump went down after that and hasnt returned. I have needles and syringes here that I stock up with.

I do have pet insurance for my dogs but it doesnt mean I rush them off to the vet every time they present with something. Friday afternoon Morgan had a really bad limp. Her shoulder or elbow area. She has come right(she is an older girl) and I just keep an eye on her. If I think she needs to see a vet I will take her.

If your dog is comfortable and you are happy then you make the decision when you can.

We cant all afford vet fees which in my opinion for some cases can be so expensive.

I know vets have many different jobs to do but some of them charge like a wounded bull.

My old bitch, Sascha, developed a lot of these lumps when she got older - at first I had them checked out but then learned to recognise fatty lumps - I felt the same about having them removed, she was 16 and I didn't think the risk was worth it. No flaming here!

If my old Stafford gains another lump I pretend I haven't seen it!

He has a major spinal issue and he would die under a GA as he has heart problems.

He is medicated for his issues at the moment.

I wouldn't put him through surgery, so while he is happy we keep plodding along, if he has anything that causes him to go down hill he will be euthed.

It is not unusually for older dogs to develop lumps or tumours (not always malignant). When my old dog developed one at around the same age as your dog the vet suggested that given the dogs age that it would be best just to leave it untested as long as it was not affecting the dog. As he said if it was malignant the prognosis was not good for a dog that age and if it was benign it wasn't likely to be a major problem. Over time it did grow and because of its position became uncomfortable for him and by this time(about 2 year later) he had also developed some other age related problems so he was given his wings. Given your dogs age would it really be fair to try treatment if it was a malignant tumour? If not and the dog is not suffering then I would just enjoy your time with him as there is no point in testing if it does not change the outcome.

Thanks for the positive responses & useful information. ;)

My daughter has offered to take us to the Vets tomorrow to have it tested & said she will pay for it, gawd I hate my children giving me money, after all I am the parent. I will be happier knowing that it's not a cancer, but if it turns out it is, I don't think I could take the risk of surgery & he's still happy & healthy.

Can someone give me some idea on how long it takes to get the results?