Dog Treats And Bugs

Sue Brown

Can i ask, was it things such as dried chicken necks, and dried other things? If so, I think i may know exactly what you are talking about - I know some people who got some bulk food and it was full of brown bugs and STUNK

It was Liver Treats, beef jerky, Roo jerky, sticks flavoured like chicken and kangaroo, this item called chicke and roo delite and lamb sticks

May have been others too can't recall all of them as i have them in the shed.

Yes i know I bought a heap.

Our huge back of liver treats and a box of dog biscuits got infested with them. I don't blame anyone but ourselves. Nothing was sealed properly. Ugh, just thinking about the day we discovered it makes my skin crawl. I thought it was tiny cockroaches, but maybe it was weavels. Shudder.

Unfortunatley when i opened my parcel the bow was infected, so i assume they would have been aware, and i have never seen this at my home.

Can i ask, was it things such as dried chicken necks, and dried other things? If so, I think i may know exactly what you are talking about - I know some people who got some bulk food and it was full of brown bugs and STUNK

It was Liver Treats, beef jerky, Roo jerky, sticks flavoured like chicken and kangaroo, this item called chicke and roo delite and lamb sticks

I bought from the same place. Stuff smelt a little but it isn't processed so I didn't give it a second thought. Oh well, mine have polished it off. It isn't a health hazard, just gross

Thanks guys feel a lot better.

I guess i am probably going to alert them and will get a replacement or refund which will be great.

I will now treat it tomoorow with the attitude that 'you catch more bee's with honey' I think that's how the saying goes.

I did a google and wevills look bigger than what these are. These just look like large dust particles but on closer inspection are little oblong beige coloured bits that move.

So don't think they are wevills one site suggested 'Spider mites'!

Still won't do much harm...........I would just contact them and talk. If they replace, I personally would be happy

Bay leaves inside containers and around the pantry shelves work a treat against the infestation of weevils.

Interesting you say that..

Inside one of the Chicken Breast jerky bags was what i thought to be a gum leaf.

But now i am thinking it was perhaps a Bay leaf!

Maybe they know there was a problem and tried to help?

Bay leaves inside containers and around the pantry shelves work a treat against the infestation of weevils.

:laugh: I second that, we used to have heaps of problems with them in the pantry at our old rental and bay leaves drove them away straight away! They can get into anything so even though you assume something is airtight they can probably still squirm in.

Another thing to bear in mind, this may not have happened at the distributors level. It may have occured during transport - the life cycle of these bugs are really quite short and they could have been travelling next to a box with some other infested stuff in it.

:laugh: I second that, we used to have heaps of problems with them in the pantry at our old rental and bay leaves drove them away straight away! They can get into anything so even though you assume something is airtight they can probably still squirm in.

Another thing to bear in mind, this may not have happened at the distributors level. It may have occured during transport - the life cycle of these bugs are really quite short and they could have been travelling next to a box with some other infested stuff in it.

Would that be the case if it only took a day or two to reach me.

Please note we note even sure it is wevills..

The bags a are full of them now

Hi there

Can I ask was this an internet order?

Hi there

Can I ask was this an internet order?

Yes it was from a large Internet based reseller, from what i can gather there is no shop front, well not advertised on their site anyway.

Are people pussy footing around this because there is a DOL member that sells treats and people think this order maybe from her and don't want her to get a bad wrap?

The place is a large Internet based supplier and I checked the advertisers and they are not one of them.

I don't know if the suppliers is a DOL Member or not.

I will try the bay leaf method. My pantry has recently had a massive moth invasion and I have struggled to keep them at bay. I have moth traps but they dont seem to be doing any good. I have scrubbed the cupboard out and turfed anything that remotely looked like it could have been affected. I will go now and empty the bay leaf container right through the pantry lol.

Thanks!

Are people pussy footing around this because there is a DOL member that sells treats and people think this order maybe from her and don't want her to get a bad wrap?

No, I didn't even think of that.

But I do have a slight bias to support ethical pet product retailers and give them every chance to succeed.

If it was a human product retailer, I would probably be making a complaint to council. Dogs deserve good food too, but I would see how the retailer handles this before giving them a hard time. There is less profit in these types of dog treats than there are in the lines on the supermarket shelf, and I would hate it if the supermarket was the only place we could buy treats from.

A retailer constantly or knowingly selling infested food should be put out of business very promptly.

I can tell you it isnt from the DOLer.

OP has PMed me with the details and it is a company I have never heard of before.

Ah well then, no problem...then yeah you have every right to be pissy your treats came in such a manner! :thumbsup:

No, I didn't even think of that.

But I do have a slight bias to support ethical pet product retailers and give them every chance to succeed.

If it was a human product retailer, I would probably be making a complaint to council. Dogs deserve good food too, but I would see how the retailer handles this before giving them a hard time. There is less profit in these types of dog treats than there are in the lines on the supermarket shelf, and I would hate it if the supermarket was the only place we could buy treats from.

A retailer constantly or knowingly selling infested food should be put out of business very promptly.

A consumer has every right to be pissy about that kinda thing though.

Back in December I got my dogs smoked lambs bones to put away as Xmas presents, when I went to use them they where full of dead black insects.

My dogs wouldn't have a bar of them, they came from a stallholder at our local market who deals in smoked and dried treats for dogs and cats. I know they keep the products under netting in summer because of the flies......at $3.50 a bone never again.