Best Shampoo

Azzachazza

Hi Everyone,

just wondering what the best shampoo people have used for their dogs, that helps promote healthy skin and possibly with an anti-bacterial agent and ant-itch... Nala wont stop scratching. I have a feeling that she got minor scratches on some thorny bushes that have now been removed, but the damage has been done. Have been using wound guard but i need a good shampoo to wash her :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Hi Everyone,

just wondering what the best shampoo people have used for their dogs, that helps promote healthy skin and possibly with an anti-bacterial agent and ant-itch... Nala wont stop scratching. I have a feeling that she got minor scratches on some thorny bushes that have now been removed, but the damage has been done. Have been using wound guard but i need a good shampoo to wash her :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Malaseb to clear up any itch.. and then I just use a hydrobath wash for the other washes which is an anti flea, tick bacterial one... will find you the name

I have used that stuff you use when you have chicken pox. Smells like coal tar and a horrible green colour... Human stuff. I have used it more as a lotion on the area, and mixed a bit in as a spray over the area.

Iodine/Betadine is also really good for clearing up scratches/minor infections. I just buy the Iodine from animal produce and dilute as necessary.

Malaseb also very good.

Yes, RR, you do. Not that expensive either. Mine comes in a cellophane bag that of the stuff that fills 2 x small 'Macconna' coffee jars to packed & over-flowing .... $8. There are some that are 'branded' and I believe they are the more expensive.

Iodine/Betadine is also really good for clearing up scratches/minor infections.

The human quality ones? Can this be used on animals? How do you stop him from licking. Even with an ecollar, they still can get to some places. Doesn't betadine also sting on a wound?

Edited by giraffez

My kelpie x is sensitive to shampoo so I use the oatmeal soap free alternative ( Fido brand I think). Also use Natural Shampoo that is based on coconut oil not soap. I have used an emu oil and a olive oil shampoo.

He developed an allergy to grass more recently and had a red rash on his belly and inflamed feet. I saw the vet for a topical cream which is great but I need a wash too. I make sure he is flea free as well but I think it is more grass.

I was going to try the Malaseb but only start with a more dilute wash to start to make sure he doesn't react to it. Maybe for his paws anyway. Any flea wash shampoo makes both dogs itch more.

I used Quit Itch on the horses but I think that was Betadine/iodine based hence the orange colour.

Guest *Pixie*

It really depends on what exactly is wrong that is causing the bad skin - some shampoos are very drying which obviously doesn't help if the problem with itchiness/flakiness is dryness to begin with

Goat's milk soap is often good if they have allergies - you can buy that from health food stores. :laugh:

Iodine/Betadine is also really good for clearing up scratches/minor infections.

The human quality ones? Can this be used on animals? How do you stop him from licking. Even with an ecollar, they still can get to some places. Doesn't betadine also sting on a wound?

Some human products when used sensibly can be used on animals for a short period of time. It depends on what you are treating and for how long. Pinetarsal is the stuff I am thinking of. Pine Tar products are also made in animal grade shampoos.

As for licking. Stick a bucket (elizabethan collar) on its head. But to be serious, would not matter what product you put on. Shampoo or anything, if the dog can get to lick it, it probably will. E-collar or not.

Betadine is already a dilute of Iodine. Many people are allergic to Iodine. Also, many did not know at what strength to dilute Iodine. Iodine used to be readily available on chemist shelves. So Betadine was made. the dilution was done for you. If you go into hospital, what do you think they use to clean operation areas if you are not allergic to Iodine (Like I am). For those allergic to Iodine, you are given a choride solution.

I even have condese cristals at home. Great in diluted amounts for skin condtions. You can also bath chooks and other birds in it when they have mites. Stains a nice brown colour on your skin.

Iodine you can buy for animals at any vet supply or produce place. I came from a farm. Iodine is one product that is manditory for the animal first aid box. It is relatively inexpensive, has a decent shelf life and is good for all sorts of sores, cuts and puss things. There are other products like Centrogin Wound spray. Any of your wound sprays are either derived from cholorides, alcohol or something similar. Put any of these on a sore, and it will sting for a minute.

Put Betadine/Iodine on a sore of yours, it may sting for a minute or so, then you don't feel it. It is an antiseptic of sorts as well as a drying agent. Clears up the sores very quickly. A sore left to fester is more painful than a brief sting of Betadine/Iondine.

Itching...it's that time of year. :laugh:

Look for a reason for the itching first...fleas/contact with Wandering Jew in the garden/carpet shampoo perhaps?

As for shampoo.....wash with oatmeal. Put a handfull of oats (porridge oats are fine) into an old clean stocking, tie it off above the ball of oatmeal and let it soak for a while in hot water. Once it is cooled enough, wash the dog in the water, using the oatmeal bag as a sponge.

I used this method with our old ACD and have done so with our Staffy, Danni....who also has a bad case of the 'summer itchies' at the moment.

I did take Danni to the Vet last week because her itching and scratching was constant. She had a Cortisone injection and her nails clipped too....for the first time. The Vet confirmed the use of oatmeal was a good idea. The one-off Cortisone injection had little effect on her as far as side effects (increased thirst and appetite) but did break the scratching/itching cycle.

There are other products like Centrogin Wound spray.

I use this too and found it very good. Got to watch where your dog lays/walks etc. afterwards, as it will leave stains that are hard/impossible to lift afterwards. I have a nice pink mark on my washing machine that won't come off.

When I came home from holidays last week I noticed a sore under Tilba's eye. I scratched at it not knowing at 1st what it was & the hair came off with the lump, scab. For the 1st 2 days I put maluka honey on it. When I went to re-do it each time there was another scab on it which came off with the next application. I didn't like this happening & remembered I had an iodine solution that was given to April many, many years ago for hot spots developed from a flea allergy. It used to be wonderful for the flea hot spots, they would clear up after a couple of applications.

After a few years I asked if it would be still ok to use. The vet said it would last forever. As it is diluted at 10:1 I still have about 1/2 a bottle left. I bathed the wound area last night & this morning a new scab hadn't formed, hence nothing to come off & cause the hole to get bigger, which it was doing each time I applied the honey.

Here's hoping it will clear up & the hair grows back. Don't want to spoil her good looks. I don't know what happened to cause the wound, maybe a bite from our other dog while playing. It used to be wonderful for the flea hot spots they would clear up after a couple of applications.

Tilba also suffers from itching skin, with dandruff seeming to be the only culprit. I'll also try the calendula tea

Honey is great. It has known healing properties.

Also bathing with warm salty water if you have nothing else handy is great for cleaning out wounds and sores.

However if a wound is wet and still mucky, honey CAN seal that in preventing it from drying out.

It really does depend on the type of wound, its depth etc as to what treatment is applied.

Offtopic a little: Poultices made out of bran and hot water and wrapped in a towel are good for absceses to draw out infections.

Some wounds are best kept open to dry out, then the likes of honey and another great horse product "potty's white" applied to aid healing and reduce scar tissue forming and promote healthy regeneration.

Rural West - Hydrobath mix, Ice Water fragrance :thumbsup:

Anti flea, bacterial, tick. Wet dog down and them pour over and leave in (you dont have to use a hyrdobath, just mixing up mixture and pouring over dog substitutes)!!

Listerine mixed down and sprayed on hotspot will help clear it up

I have used the Pinetarsol which is the green stuff you use when you have chicken pox or you could also use some vinegar diluted in water and use in a spray bottle I have used this when I've run out of the oatmeal shampoo which I either use the Resisoothe or Alloveen. you can also buy dry dog food which is for sensitive skin dogs. Hope it clears up soon.