For Those Who Who Have A Gr Ch

angelsophie

I'm going to give a different perspective! My breed (Giant Schnauzers) over the last decade has seen 2 dominant dogs in the breed, who were shown at all the shows and picked up practically every CC going during that time, they would even turn up at shows without CC's if the group judge would be likely to give them yet another group (all for the race of who will be dog of the year or chasing the CC record). In this time we have gone from having 20 - 30 males being shown to now being lucky to get 5 turning up at most shows.

I don't think it does a breed any good to have the same old winner brought out every weekend. It's not helping to encorage new people into the breed, it tends to put off more established exhibitors from keeping a dog of that sex and soon you find a breed struggling to find the next generation of stud dogs.

Showing is about having the best dog on the day but I don't think that excludes other dogs worthy of having titles being present in that ring too but not being able to pick up the CCs to get that title.

Bec you are doing an awesome job grooming Toby, he always looks great, except for if there is a bit of wind around, the he looks like he is going to blow away! :laugh:

Thanks Kristy but you dont like the skirt over the head look :cry: ?? LOL

I still need to learn ring presentation product knowledge headfall and trimming feet. DONT look at his feet on the weekend!

I have 2 Gr Ch Italian Greyhounds and just recently got a Gr with my first big greyhound. All three dogs were retired once they got their Grand. All three were/ are young and certainly still very much capable of winning many more points and in group/show awards. For me I would much rather show a younger dog and try to win with them also rather than showing the same dog all the time. I have also seen many many newbies give up and stop showing because they cant beat the grands.

But that is the point there not losing to grands there losing to a titled dog.

The title doesnt make it win .

I refuse to withdraw a good speciman just to let others have go & would hate to win points because the good dogs where withdrawn.The good dogs are out there so everyone can see what the breed is capable & if people give up because they think the title of that dog is beating them then they seriously need to have a look at what there doing or the quality of there dog.

My dogs werent advertised when they where shown & i didnt go in the ring with a sign on my head saying grd ch.I went in with *** like everyone else & ran around the ring & the judge picked the dog on the day & like everyone else i was beaten .

If dogs are are so young & capable of keeping the breed in the winners map then i would think its madness to withdraw & show lesser quality if they cant beat said dog/dogs.

I retired my first grand on a high 4 yrs after obtaining his title ,why would i retire a 2 yr old :laugh:

I will also say showing a breed with minimal breed numbers i strive for grp/bis level .

See thats where newies go wrong,they expect to just win.

I see the other side & would admire those special dogs & study every inch at shows & crave all i could to better myself

I think it's unfair to expect people to retire grands... especially ones that win a lot at a young age and obtain that title. I was up against a dog that later achieved it's grand at a young age with very few of the breed (often we were the only competition). Week after week we would lose to this dog, and occasionally, we would win. I lost sight at first of why we were losing but by the end I knew the reasons and I retired my boy early and untitled. His last show he was beaten by the same dog again but he usually beat the other dogs that rarely came out, so i saw him as a consistent RUBOB winner :crossfingers:

I have one dog that i show now... i can't have any more after her for a while. If she was a really successful bitch who loved the ring and achieved her grand, there is no way i would retire her early, because we love showing.

In an ideal world, the untitled dogs would compete for points, then go up against the grands, but i just don't think we have the numbers for that type of setup.

I am a fairly new exhibitor and hubby is about to give it a go too. We were talking on the way home from our last show about Gr Ch he was asking whats the point in showing a gr ch as its as high as you can go. There is one in our breed being shown still and a few that are regularly shown in our group here.

My thoughts are you love winning(well dont we all LOL), love exhibiting that particular dog, or love showing and have limited dogs ?

The one we show with/against alot is an iggy and I will admit I LOVE watching this dog in the ring and while he has many thousands of points and I have seen him take loads of in groups watching him and his owner in the ring is something special. Its effortless and they work as a team. Something to strive for as a new exhibitor!

So my opinion is if they show so well together, enjoy it and are sucessfull - then why not!

So what did you/do you do and why?

so they can win Best Show Dog on Dogz Online :thumbsup:

Edited by jr_inoz