Entire Dog Peeing

I had read that once they have learnt the behaviour then desexing does not really help.

I've found the opposite with my boy. He was a real pain. He'd pee on anything and everything. Every fence gate, door, post, washing machine....

After i had him desexed a few months back, there has been a big improvement in this.

No doubt it's not an option for BL, but it did make a big improvement in my dogs case.

It is an option but one that means I can't show him in the future if I want to. At the moment I can't show him because he's still a gangly, skinny teenager (when will I ever get a dog that stays together as it grows?? :laugh: ) and I'm not really fit for running just now either. I anticipate that when he's a big, muscly, beautiful adult he might be a show prospect, at least to get a beautiful solid boy seen in the ring. I want to keep that door open for now.

I know if he was desexed we would still have to deal with the behaviour but I get the feeling that it makes it a bit easier when you remove some of the motivation. He's only just started so it's not too established a behaviour at this stage.

I had read that once they have learnt the behaviour then desexing does not really help.

I've found the opposite with my boy. He was a real pain. He'd pee on anything and everything. Every fence gate, door, post, washing machine....

After i had him desexed a few months back, there has been a big improvement in this.

No doubt it's not an option for BL, but it did make a big improvement in my dogs case.

It is an option but one that means I can't show him in the future if I want to. At the moment I can't show him because he's still a gangly, skinny teenager (when will I ever get a dog that stays together as it grows?? :laugh: ) and I'm not really fit for running just now either. I anticipate that when he's a big, muscly, beautiful adult he might be a show prospect, at least to get a beautiful solid boy seen in the ring. I want to keep that door open for now.

I know if he was desexed we would still have to deal with the behaviour but I get the feeling that it makes it a bit easier when you remove some of the motivation. He's only just started so it's not too established a behaviour at this stage.

Suprelorin perhaps?

Suprelorin perhaps?

Actually that did cross my mind but my vague memory tells me that it's expensive and only lasts a short time?

I have adult dogs and bitches, that were desexed as puppies, here that still marked in the house because their previous owners basically let them be feral or they lived outside their entire lives. The current entire male I have here, who is 8 months old, is a very good boy and knows he is only allowed to piddle outside.

I think desexing can help but it has to do more with what they think they can get away with.

The current entire male I have here, who is 8 months old, is a very good boy and knows he is only allowed to piddle outside.

I think desexing can help but it has to do more with what they think they can get away with.

But if there's no motivation to mark their territory they won't try to get away with it in the first place. A poorly toilet trained dog is a different matter. When Dash is emptying his bladder he still squats or sort of leans. When he is marking he lifts his leg. Two completely different behaviours for two completely different purposes as far as the dog is concerned. If he was squatting and emptying his bladder on the carpet I'd say he had toilet training problems. He hasn't peed inside in that manner since he was a little puppy.

I've never had an entire male peeing to mark territory at 8 months either - it has to do with sexual maturity.

Suprelorin perhaps?

My first thought on this is that essentially you are temporarily sterilising him so it probably won't help that gangly, skinny teenager look - you need the testosterone to push him through to physical maturity. Kind of defeats the purpose of keeping him entire for the show ring. Took my lad 3 years (and counting) so good luck :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

It is an option but one that means I can't show him in the future if I want to. At the moment I can't show him because he's still a gangly, skinny teenager (when will I ever get a dog that stays together as it grows?? :) ) and I'm not really fit for running just now either. I anticipate that when he's a big, muscly, beautiful adult he might be a show prospect, at least to get a beautiful solid boy seen in the ring. I want to keep that door open for now.

Suprelorin perhaps?

My first thought on this is that essentially you are temporarily sterilising him so it probably won't help that gangly, skinny teenager look - you need the testosterone to push him through to physical maturity. Kind of defeats the purpose of keeping him entire for the show ring. Took my lad 3 years (and counting) so good luck :rofl:

So it would just delay it altogether and there would be no catching up period? I don't know enough about it and would want to do some thorough research before I used it. I guess it would be a great last resort prior to desexing if I can't get him under control in other ways.

Yeah this guy is gonna take at least that long I think. No hurry here though - I've got a couple of babies to raise first then I'll reassess him in a few years and see if I can leave Daddy to babysit while I take him to shows. :laugh:

I think so, although I stress I'm not an expert. It just makes sense to me, physiologically - I'd be inclined to only use Suprelorin on a physically mature dog if physique was important.

ETA: It can last up to 12 months I think?

Edited by The Spotted Devil

the implant can shrinks there testes & no i didnt take what you said out of content.

I have 4 entire males living inside & have no issues .They also live outside & in the kennels if the situation arises.

We also have girls in heat around the house,they now better than to pee irrespective.

Your setting is becoming habit ,i doubt removing the odour will matter as its the object that has more value the "setting".

Buy a belly band for the house.

If behavioural cojnsider wher he fits in your group of dogs

Yes, like KK & showdog, I wondered about a belly band. Or would a determined lab chew it off???

I've only seen small, male housedogs wearing belly bands. But there's a lass who makes them (lives Burpengary), who does them to order for the large breeds. I notice she's got a MDBA nomination.

http://www.lovemyfurbabies.com.au/Belly%20Bands.htm

Edited by mita

Cockerlover made a belly band for Hamish (16mo entire male Rottweiler) he lived outside in his previous home - he is only inside on lead with all eyes on him as he will cock his leg if given a chance. He left here at 5 mo and he showed no respect for the house or his bed for that matter. I have toilet trained a few dogs now with minimal effort required but this boy is doing my head in.

This dog will piss on everything including his own bed - he is what I call a "dirty dog". He is a happy go lucky boy who need reigning in now as he has pretty much had it all his own way for too long. Luckily for me he has the most wonderful nature, if he didn't cock his leg he would be perfect to live with. Living with 3 bitches I am sure he is marking "his" territory now so will take more effort that I am prepared to put in right now so a belly band has been good for us.

He has never worn one before and has tried to remove it - a quick "aahhh" is all that has been needed for him to leave it alone.

the implant can shrinks there testes & no i didnt take what you said out of content.

I have 4 entire males living inside & have no issues .They also live outside & in the kennels if the situation arises.

We also have girls in heat around the house,they now better than to pee irrespective.

Your setting is becoming habit ,i doubt removing the odour will matter as its the object that has more value the "setting".

Buy a belly band for the house.

If behavioural cojnsider wher he fits in your group of dogs

Apart from removing the outdoor setting which is not at all practical I cannot control whether he pees there or not. So I am not "allowing" anything. He isn't using the table as a personal territory as the other dogs use it too. If one of the others decided to mark it he might stop I guess but at this stage he has no competition in the marking stakes. I will try removing the odour and using a deterrent and see how we go.

He is right down the bottom of my pack and the other two take no crap from him.

The implant shrinks the testes temporarily until the dog starts producing testosterone again. Shrunken testes alone as a temporary state is not a good reason not to use it for a dog that is not being shown. I need to investigate it further and see whether it's of any use at this stage.

Mita I have used bitch pants made by Sandy before and been very happy with them. I guess a belly band is another consideration but I'd prefer to get his behaviour sorted in this regard rather than have to put one on him every time he comes inside. He is crated at night and I was hoping to do away with the crate once he becomes a little more mature. I can't see that happening if he can't be trusted inside. I also can't see him leaving a belly band in place all night either!

Thanks for that Andisa - it sounds like you've had a rough time with that boy.