Dumbbell Problem

Pele started to retrieve the dumbbell a few months ago. All of a sudden she won't run out after the dumbbell on the flat but retrieving over the jump was no problem.

Just now I went outside with the dumbbell and a bag of roast chicken pieces. Pele is an absolute pig and will do anything for food and roast chicken is a fave. When she saw the dumbbell she took off inside. I called her out again and as soon as she saw the dumbbell she started to tremble :rofl: I threw chicken all around it and no way would she go near it and then took off inside and into her crate and sat there trembling :D I was just going to click and treat her for going near it. It's almost as if I've bashed the living daylights out of her which of course I haven't :laugh:

Now I need to try and work out a plan to make her think that the dumbbell is fun again. I really don't know what's going thru' her Bull Terrier brain :)

Any suggestions please.

Can you pair it with the sight of the cuz Bully? Present DB and Cuz together.

I was thinking of putting it next to her food bowl tonight, but then thought maybe giving the dumbbell a few days break. It's got me stumped. You'd think I'd bashed her over the head with it. She's such a sensitive little soul :laugh:

I'd just let it go for a few days and then try getting it out at meal time for a few days, before asking her to do anything with it.

That's what I was thinking. I might leave the Cuz out of the equation because she goes a bit silly over the Cuz :laugh:

maybe she bit down on it and hurt herself/bit her tongue and now she thinks it will cause her pain

Rub it all over with chicken or kabana, I mean coat it so it's slimy and chunky, and leave it somewhere she will find it. Dont make a fuss over it at all and let her go of her own accord. Let her stomach lead her and gradually when she starts showing more interest or moves it about let her lick the food off it from your hand (in case there is an issue with you holding it too)

Is it worth switching to a new dumbbell? If your current one is wooden buy a plastic one and vice versa perhaps. You could also go back to retrieving basics with anything and everything - different objects, textures etc. to build up her confidence. I would tend towards shaping with a clicker. Good luck!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Bully here is an explanation of the 2 food/2 toy/2 DB/2 anything game :dancingelephant:

http://www.nwk9.com/twosqueakies.htm

And here is a video of Kenzie demoing it. The first part of the clip she is racing off after 4 legs chunkers, the second part I am using her i-squeaks.

Thanks Ness, will check those links out after we get back from the beach :thumbsup: The "Goddess" has just decided to get out of bed. She just doesn't do mornings :happydance:

AAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!! :laugh::(

I went outside with a bag of chicken pieces to play the 2 food game. When I asked Pele to sit and threw the chicken she shot back inside trembling. I called her out and she wouldn't touch the chicken. It was as tho' I'd beaten her :laugh: So don't think it's the dumbbell. I turned the hose on, her fave game and it took ages for her to come outside and then she seemed ok, until I turned the hose off and then she went all wussy again and shot back inside. I really don't know what's freaked her out. She was fine outside until she thought it was a training session :laugh:

Have you had storms up there recently, as we have here in Melbourne? Is he responding the way you describe at places other than your home yard?

Edited by Erny

Have you had storms up there recently, as we have here in Melbourne? Is he responding the way you describe at places other than your home yard?

No problems in other places, altho' i haven't tried training in other places. She wasn't happy in our club's trial on Saturday night. Pele was perky before we went in the ring and I was thinking that was a good sign. As soon as we got to the start peg (our first trial in Open) she visibly deflated and was woeful. She kept looking in the direction of her crate :laugh: Then yesterday she went into a trembling mess when I bought out the dumbbell. Then this afternoon I was going to play the 2 food game and she went into a trembling mess :laugh: I'm just ignoring her at the moment because I don't want to reward the weird behaviour. Seems to be about training and not the dumbbell :(

She hasn't got any sore teeth or a sore mouth?

No problems chewing bones or playing tug :laugh:

No problems in other places, altho' i haven't tried training in other places. She wasn't happy in our club's trial on Saturday night. Pele was perky before we went in the ring and I was thinking that was a good sign. As soon as we got to the start peg (our first trial in Open) she visibly deflated and was woeful. She kept looking in the direction of her crate :laugh: Then yesterday she went into a trembling mess when I bought out the dumbbell. Then this afternoon I was going to play the 2 food game and she went into a trembling mess :laugh: I'm just ignoring her at the moment because I don't want to reward the weird behaviour. Seems to be about training and not the dumbbell :(

She hasn't got any sore teeth or a sore mouth?

No problems chewing bones or playing tug :laugh:

Have you tried asking for something from her inside? Do a bit of work in the lounge room and see how she reacts. It could be something spooked her in the yard so it is yard rather than training that is the issue.

You say she will play tug - what about a game of tug in the backyard? Then get her to release, ask for a simple sit and release to the tug again?