Water For Your Dog When Walking

BIG-DOG-LOVER

What do you use for giving your dogs drinks when out walking?

Do you use the portable dog bowl things?

Take a sports bottle and let the dog drink from that?

I'm currently just taking along a sports bottle filled with water and 'squirt' it into my dogs mouth, he seems to like that, but just wondering what the norm was?

Same as above - I never do. The longest I could ever be walking would be an hour and I am happy that he could easily go that long without a drink. He can drink when we get home.

And if it's really hot, then I'll swim him rather than walk.

I have a folding water bowl (brought from the local IGA).

I have also taught my boys to drink from a water bottle - I had 2 police officers laughing at me when I was pulled up at a set of lights and I was holding the water bottle over the back to give the boy a drink. It looked like he was sucking on a baby bottle.

I use the folding water bowl for longer walks such as bush walking etc so they can have a decent drink and usually just use the water bottle for a quick drink to wet the mouth etc.

I got dragged to a Tupperware Pary on the weekend and bought those "Flex'n'Go" bowls - i think they'll be great to just pop out when i need them. Also bought her little tubs to keep traning treats fresh. Sigh. I spent $68 on tupperware for my dog!

I usually dont take water on our walks, but if it's really hot out or we're going to be out for more than an hour i take a small bowl and a bottle of water. I figured the pop-out tupperware bowls will be great when we start trialling obediance and hopefully then agility because they pop out to a pretty decent size and can then fold away.

When it's a very hot day, we have a bottle of water for charlie... we pour the water in the lid and Charlie drinks it that way. it's kinda take a while, if the lid of the drink bottle is really really small. He will only drink it from the lid :hug:

Normally, we don't bother. We don't take very long walks anyway.

On walks I carry 'poo bags' and fill one of the 'poo bags' with water from a tap at the park and the fur kids drink from that. I have too many toys to carry and no room for a portable water container! :hug:

Edited by westielover

I don't do the 'communal drinking bowl' thing and if the walk is such that I think it will demand water access, I take a water bottle - mine has a fold up part on it that serves as a drinking container.

I go to this bother ................ and then my dog drinks the water out of the lake when he plunges in for a swim :cool: . Like as if his own private water source is just not good enough. Hhhmph. I'm the one then left lugging the orbee ball; tug; treats; water bottle; spare tennis ball (to throw in lake); poo bags (and potentially at least one full poo bag) back up the hill home again. I reckon he has got me sorted out :D .

None of our parks have taps - and if they do, the handles have been removed to guard against vandals or irresponsibles who are likely to turn them on and leave them on.

ETA: My water bottle sounds like the one you have, Saxonpup. They are good, although ones that I've seen since I purchased mine years ago are fairly hard to squeeze so if anyone is looking to buy them, squeeze test them a little first.

Edited by Erny

On walks I carry 'poo bags' and fill one of the 'poo bags' with water from a tap at the park and the fur kids drink from that. I have too many toys to carry and no room for a portable water container! :cool:

That's what I used to do with Jessie. The "Princess" wouldn't drink from a running tap :D Pele prefers a running tap. Most times she won't bother having a drink until we get home :D

I don't drink water on my walks as I drink before I leave the house. So why would my dog need a drink? However, I also try to make sure my dogs drink beforehand.

It's always best to hydrate before exercise.

Edited by BeagleBoys2

i reckon in some respects we're really lucky cuz we live in a really dog-friendly neighbourhood :D every few streets, there's some kinda dish or bowl filled with water, waiting for the panting parade to rehydrate :D

it's a shame that some of those streets have inconsiderate bastard recidivists that park their cars across footpaths, INCLUDING on a main arterial!!! idiots like that don't know the meaning of 'recidivist' ... bastard recidivists *angry face* i stay away from those areas :D

anyhoot, i don't take water for my dogs because my dogs avail themselves of the good-hearted kindness ... upon our return tho, my command isn't 'home', it's 'drink' and both dogs dart up the driveway to the front door :cool:

I have a water bottle for Saxon that has a fold out plastic tray bit for the dog to drink out of. The bottle has a valve thing so the water only comes out when you squeeze it. It's pretty handy :rofl:

i have one of those but the dogs are scared of it :)

If it's so hot that they will need a drink mid walk - then it's too hot to go walking full stop.