Invasion Of The Flies ....

Tilly

I have sticky traps ... but I find them useless as I have to hang them from the roof and all the flies are at ground level.

I went out yesterday and brought the Raid Automatic sprayers and have them set up outside on the veranda. I brought more Citronella Fogger spray and extra citronella mozzie coils. I have the coils burning night and day, the automatic sprays set, the dogs sprayed in permoxin and their ears sprayed in Cetrigen ... with another purple strip down their backs. I have to get some cream for the pup's ears as he hate the cetrigen being sprayed on his ears.

I have removed all the smelly fly traps and sprayed the garden and walls (where the dogs can't get too) with outdoor surface spray.

I will just keep spraying everything twice a day and see how this goes ...

Me too, they are awful. A couple of weeks ago I went into my bedroom and sprayed about 50 flies...so disgusting, I was wondering what was attracting them, looks like its just us QLDers who are getting them really badly. Just wondering if they are in any particular part of Bris, Im at Bracken Ridge/Sandgate area

Guest Tess32

Well I'm in melbourne and left my window SLIGHTLY open the other day and came back to about 20 flies on it.

Funny you should say that yesterday I had all these flies in my house at the front it was weird. Like a whole heaped hat hatched I reckon some where. I'm in Brissy so maybe its because of all the rain maybe. But I always have my back door open before work for the dogs to come and go and I have never had trouble with flies.

I was listening to the radio this morning and a lady rang up and said that the best tip for stopping flies from entering your house was to fill a zip lock bag with water and peg it onto your screen door.

She swears that it works, she was told this remedy by an old lady..........

I'm going to try it, but since my screen door is a security door with crimsafe I am finding it hard to attach the bag to the door. I have a dog door in the screen door, and although I have plastic strips hanging over the opening, the flies come inside, so I will persist until I find a way to attach the bag and test it out.

Trish

I'm sure I read recently something else - it might make the ear fur a bit "manky" but at least it wasn't about applying yet even more in the way of chemicals/drugs to our dogs' systems. Just can't remember what the stuff was.

Perhaps direct attention to this thread from the Health Forum (via link). ??

ETA: I'm trying to find what it was I am looking for, but in the meantime, "Bag Balm" is something I've heard others talk about, except I don't think you can get it over here.

Anasol or Retonal works really well :)

We are having the same trouble with flies and mosquitoes and we are in Geelong. The poor dogs ears are always covered in flies and I haven't found a solution yet, I've used a pinkish coloured soap(??) that smells like citronella, but it doesn't work that well.

I am looking for something that won't stain or grease up as two of the dogs are light coloured and are currently being shown, any ideas?

Also noticed that what ever gets put on, will be promptly licked off by the other dog. it seems to be a bit of a cycle, I put it on, the next dog gets done and the previous is having their ears cleaned by the next dog they don't seem to like the taste, and start to foam up a bit. I'll try anything BUT I don't really want to poison them either.

We are having the same trouble with flies and mosquitoes and we are in Geelong. The poor dogs ears are always covered in flies and I haven't found a solution yet, I've used a pinkish coloured soap(??) that smells like citronella, but it doesn't work that well.

I am looking for something that won't stain or grease up as two of the dogs are light coloured and are currently being shown, any ideas?

Also noticed that what ever gets put on, will be promptly licked off by the other dog. it seems to be a bit of a cycle, I put it on, the next dog gets done and the previous is having their ears cleaned by the next dog they don't seem to like the taste, and start to foam up a bit. I'll try anything BUT I don't really want to poison them either.

How about a snood?