I Got Marked

W Sibs

What does it mean when a dog marks you? dominance? Or did he think I was a tree or something? he seems like a friendly but over excited dog.

I was at the dog park with Charlie.. there was a lot of dogs and people around. Everyone was having a good time, till this dallie turned up. he was rushing towards a lot of other dogs, barking and trying to play with them. Charlie wanted nothing to do with this dog (way to energetic for Charlie's liking, i reckon).

That dallie also marked the boyfriend's brother and 2 little kids in the space of 10 minutes!

The owners were apologetic about it, but when one of the parents told them to put the dog on the leash (it's obvious they had no control of their dog).. they got nasty saying it's a dog park and their dog has every right to be there. By this stage, I walked away trying to find water to wash off dog pee off me... :o

haha.. i forgot to add, that i was just sitting on the grass playing with the dogs. dallie rushes forward, sniffs me and then peed on me. i luckily got away quickly or else it wouldn't of been my foot he marked >_< it would of been either my body or face.

Edited by charleswentworth

*stifles a giggle*

it's happened to me a couple of times.

once by accident- the other by a cocky over excited male dog who was marking everything that stood still ! :rofl:

this is the first time ever :o

LOL I am not sure what it means but my Pepi did it to me once many many years ago, i was hanging out the washing when i felt something warm on my leg and when i looked down i could see Pepi standing next to my leg with his leg up urinating happily. Never happened to me again and still dont know why he did it. I love him to much to tell him off, so just let it pass.

:o

No idea but it did happen to my OH once.

We were at a show and he was holding one of the Samoyeds, my boys father, Storm.

I was watching the two of them and saw Storm look up at my OH, who was watching the ring, and look at his leg.

Storm looks up again and slowly lifts his leg and pees on him :rofl:

I thought it was a crack up, my OH wasn't so amused

Edited by Wolfsong

Sounds like an obnoxious over-cocky male who needs to learn some respect (the dog, not your BF :thumbsup:) .

When they do it to their owners it can sometimes be out of uncertainty, for example a slightly overwhelmed dog in a strange busy place may mark his owner.

But marking a stranger I just take as very very bad manners!

It happened to me the other week as well. I was sitting down on the local dog beach and a little terrier weed right up my back. Dirty little thing. The owner was also apologetic but said he had done it before. A little warning would have been nice.

Last time I sit down at the dog beach.......

My boy used to mark my shoes when we were at the off leash park, he did it a couple of times. I think he meant it as "this is my human", he marks his own bed when my mum brings her dog over(male shitzu x maltese). Then he refuses to sleep in it (don't blame hime), but at least the little fluff ball can't sleep there either.

My mother's dog marks everything when my dog visits, his water bowl, toys, you name it, he "labels" it. Do girls mark as well? I can't remember my girl doing this at all.

I've always thought it to be a sign of complete disrespect. I don't think you'd ever see a dog marking the alpha member of the pack? But happy to be educated!

Personally I wouldn't tolerate marking inside under any circumstances. But maybe I'm a meany :thumbsup:

Very bad manners. If someone's dog marked me he would expect a swift kick up the backside if I was quick enough and at the very least a very nasty telling off.

Girls do mark, but not generally on people. My bc girl cocks her leg prolifically on walks, a lady she aint.. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::cry::) :) :) :) :eek: :D :D

now i better explain all those above...

in the country castrating the lambs is called marking..... so needless to say i was wondering why?

but upon reading it... i would not be amused being wee'd on... at the dog beach at christmas i did have it happen.

they were all in a comp... who could mark higher, bigger, better and the like...

i was not really looking and next thing i got marked... but they had been getting closer and closer just i had not really noticed. it was the strange dog, but an old one.

i gave him the benefit that maybe he miss q'd but did not let him get close enough to find out. after that.

I get surprised by the quick intention of dog lovers to kick or abuse a dog that may be peeing on them...

Sure i'd rouse on the dog but i'd not be kicking them - nor would i let anyone kick my dog. Years ago i got abused on this site because my then dog (RIP) peed on some strangers leg and tried to do it again later (i caught him first)...he'd never done it before and never did it again.

I have been peed on before by a male dog who decided to pee on me - it was at obedience day! I lightly roused on the dog and skipped out the way - the owner thought it was funny and said he did that to everyone.

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Given the circumstances, I believe it was a possessive/feeling threatened sort of action. I'd been showing the dog's owner some clicker training and then Erik came along wanting to be in on it and the dog got all bothered but didn't really know what to do about it so he cocks his leg. I leapt, but not quite fast enough! I ignored it. Just a confused and slightly agitated little dog that doesn't know any better.

Years ago my dog pee-ed on the grass where another dog had just gone but unfortunately he got a few drops on the very well dressed poodle owner I was talking to. The lady was at the dog park but she was also a neighbour. I was sure that was a mistake.

But just recently I was at the beach and my fairly timid dog had gone up to a lady sitting on the beach. She had a female dog who was shy. My dog used to be scared of strangers but is getting more confident. Sometimes he sees people he thinks are good and goes over to suck up to them. He was doing just that to this lady. She was patting him, mainly on his back half as that is what he presents to be patted :thumbsup: . And he pee-ed right near her and it looked to be an obviuos marking her against her own dog? I was mortified although I was grateful that the tank by that stage was empty and she got like a drop or 2 on her. But I didn't know what to do or say besides apoligise.

And he does NOT get to do that twice. He never seems to try again but I watch him like a hawk. When I caught up with my friend and she asked what happened I didn't tell her what my dog had done. Small omission on my part.

Edited by skip

My dog has done it twice (completely out of the blue) but has not done it since - they were close in time.

Both in the same dog park - first was a lady sitting down and she had called him over. He got pats etc and then went behind her and cocked his leg. Lucky he is big and it went over her shoulder.

Second time he was with a couple of other dogs when 3 teenagers sat down in the middle of the dog park with food. All the other dogs went in for the food - Boo went to the side and cocked his leg on a bag.

I now warn anyone sitting down near us - just in case and recall him away if he is in that direction.

I was peed on once by the neighbour's Basenji. I just gave him a swift, sharp 'OI!!!' and he skipped away like he'd been electrocuted. That was all he needed.

He'd been very agitated the past few days because the feral pigs had come back and were roaming around the property. He'd only done it once before, about a year beforehand and also when the pigs were about, so I believe he was just agitated and unsure of things.

Edited by alexhegyesi

My dog did this to a little old lady with a walking frame at the dog park about 6 months back :banghead: funny thing was that he kept going back to do it again had never shown this behaviour before and not since......but was determined to mark this lady come hell or high water. needless to say after one successful and about three failed attempts he was put back on lead and we went home

Adog at my obedience club used to do this to his owner. One of the funniest things I have ever seen. Had been going on for weeks and everyone had seen it, but the guy just stood there and pretended like it wasn't happening.

Finally one week the instructor looked the guy dead in the eye and said with all seriousness "your dog is peeing on you,"

the guy replies simply "I know"

Instructor repeats "your dog is peeing on you"

the guy replies again "I know"

the instructor just looks at him in disbelief and asks "well aren't you gonna do something about it"

at this point everyone in the class just peed themselves laughing because someone had finally drawn some attention to the elephant in the room

never saw the poor guy again... :laugh:

but it still makes me laugh