Puppy Toilet Training

Oscar123

I have just become a proud mum to spoodle puppy Oscar who is 8 weeks old. I am just wondering what is the best method of toilet training. I got the pads and its been a bit of a hit and miss. I have taken him out into my courtyard and he now and then goes out to do his business. Any tips would be great. I am also not familiar with this crate technic and if I should try it.

Hi!

Congrats on becoming a puppy mummy! :laugh: We have had our 14 week old CKCS X Cavoodle for 6 weeks and we are STILL working on the thoilet training! She is MUCH better though compared to when we first got her.

Here is what we did (I'm no expert...just sharing our story). We didn't crate train. We took Poppy out every half hour to an hour to begin with. When she wee'd or poo'd we would say a que word. Ours is "quick quick" in a happy voice. Like she is doing something good! Then after the wee/poo we did the big "Good Girl" thing and gave her a treat. It was hard work...and sometimes we forgot and she would wonder off and do it in the house.

Now I can take her out, say "Quick Quick", she will look at me and go off to do either a wee or poo or both. She really does associate the que word with the toileting action.

Its important to ONLY say the que word when they are actually wee'ing or poo'ing to begin with though. We still treat her after she has done something outside. We also leave the back doors open for her when we are home and unless its raining she goes out by herself and does her thing.

Hope that helps! :)

Poppydog is giving good advice :) taking pup out frequently is a great idea. You may need to go out every 20 minutes-- and STAY there until puppy does what you want- then heaps of praise!! :rofl:)

Pups need you to help train both their brain and bladder- they cannot hold for long, and they need routine :rofl:

When inside- you may want to contain Oscar to one room- or even a pen.. so he has NO chance of wandering off and toileting inside- which can quickly become a habit :laugh:

Where is he sleeping?

You will need to get up and take him out at night , too - unless he is in a small area with his pads handy...

*goes of to search for a thread*

Also when you go out, if Oscar only does a widdle and you know he needs to poop too praise him for the widdle, then go back to being boring, standing there and not paying attention. They are easily distracted and he may forget he needs to poop - then when he comes indoors again he'll remember and go in the first place he can find!

Also when you go out, if Oscar only does a widdle and you know he needs to poop too praise him for the widdle, then go back to being boring, standing there and not paying attention. They are easily distracted and he may forget he needs to poop - then when he comes indoors again he'll remember and go in the first place he can find!

YES!!! I forgot this!!! I wondered why Poppy poo'ed inside ALL THE TIME but never really did wee's inside! It was because she would wee outside, we would do the huge good girl thing, pats, treats and then all go inside. Once we were inside she would THEN remember "oh I need to poo too" and go and do it on the tiles! Silly me! We are getting MUCH better at doing poo's outside now! But you do have to be very patient! :laugh:

Thanks everyone. Great hint with the wee and then the poo inside. It just happened then. I turned my back and he came inside and did a poo inside. I will make sure I keep him out for a bit longer and not play for a while after the wee so he does not lose concerntration.

Thanks everyone. Great hint with the wee and then the poo inside. It just happened then. I turned my back and he came inside and did a poo inside. I will make sure I keep him out for a bit longer and not play for a while after the wee so he does not lose concerntration.

Definitely make sure you praise him EVERY time he goes for a wee outside, then before you come back inside go back to being boring and just wander around a little and he should do a poop, praise him again then go indoors :laugh:

How long can 8-16 week old puppies be expected to "hold on" for? I will hopefully getting a new puppy soon but I haven't had a puppy for 13 years! I think I have forgotten how much work they require!

With regard to nightime- is it recommended to use a crate overnight? I have heard this will encourage them to at least try to hold on, but obviously the pup can't be expected to hold on all night. Will they end up covered in their own mess? I'm not sure what to do overnight because for security reasons, I don't feel comfortable leaving a door open and at such a young age, it is unlikely they will even realise they need to go outside anyway.

My first dog slept outside and we never really had to train Clover (who passed away recently)- she always waited to go outside!

How long can 8-16 week old puppies be expected to "hold on" for? I will hopefully getting a new puppy soon but I haven't had a puppy for 13 years! I think I have forgotten how much work they require!

With regard to nightime- is it recommended to use a crate overnight? I have heard this will encourage them to at least try to hold on, but obviously the pup can't be expected to hold on all night. Will they end up covered in their own mess? I'm not sure what to do overnight because for security reasons, I don't feel comfortable leaving a door open and at such a young age, it is unlikely they will even realise they need to go outside anyway.

My first dog slept outside and we never really had to train Clover (who passed away recently)- she always waited to go outside!

My 8 week old puppy held on most of the night from day 1, I was sleeping her in my ensuite (tiled floor lol) which is quite small, and because she wasnt messing in there I figured I might as well crate train her as she obviously saw that as her 'den'

She would cry at me at about 1-2am and I would take her out, mostly she was just after attention though, so I soon got her out of that habit, within a week of getting her she was sleeping all night and holding on all night in the ensuite, so I got her a crate, she has only had one accident in there, but that way my bad, I slept in, and she had a sore tummy

As for overnight crating, that is the only time Lexi gets locked in hers, she has free access to it through the day, which she is happy to do, but when it comes to bed time she doesnt like to go in, but thats only because she doesnt want to go to bed

Edited by GoldenGirl85

When my Kelpie arrived at 9 weeks old I was taking him out 3 times a night, 4 if we were having an early night. I set myself alarms and took him outside, no fuss, walked him around, ignored the play, praised the heck out of him for going to the toilet then it was back to the crate. The 2nd week he was here it went down to 2-3 times a night, then the third was 1-2 and at 14 weeks he was holding through the night. Worked brilliantly for us, plus he never had the opportunity to go in the house as he was taken outdoors many times through the day too.

I can't recommend crate training enough. You're guaranteed to have a safe place for your puppy at night and during the day if you have to contain them. Easier at the vets, groomers etc too.

As for overnight crating, that is the only time Lexi gets locked in hers, she has free access to it through the day, which she is happy to do, but when it comes to bed time she doesnt like to go in, but thats only because she doesnt want to go to bed

:laugh: My Kelpie is like this too!

May I suggest locking lexi in her crate for short periods- like when she has her bone? That way, being locked in is a time when she has a trewat- and she gets let out again - which she will remember :laugh:

I was feeding her in her crate, but she has always been like it, Ive tried clickering her in, same result. She is happy to spend time in it, when she gets locked in she just lays down, she doesnt stress in it, and never has...I dont know why she doesnt just walk in at bed time, except that she doesnt want to go to bed. I guess you could call it a *very* mild seperation anxiety, she usually has me in her sight, but then again on that note she is happy to spend time outside while im home and doesnt care that Im nowhere near her or in her sight