Advice Please

Hello all :eek:

I was wondering if anyone could please shed some light on a situation we have with our three girls.

Background info. We have Tess, an 11yo Weimaraner, Lucy a 9 month Great Dane pup and Maggie a 2 year old Boxer X Bullmastiff (we think :rofl: ).

We acquired Maggie from the LDH in January of this year as a more active companion for Lucy and all is working out really well thus far.

Tess, being a little bit older will join in on a bit of play with Lucy but will certainly not tolerate her more excitable puppy antics. Tess is also a bit ho-hum towards Maggie and they tend to get along OK, but generally have little to do with each other.

The same cannot be said for Lucy and Maggie who fortunately have proven that our gamble in acquiring Maggie has paid off. They get on like an absolute house on fire and love nothing more than to tear around the yard with the zoomies - LOTS of rough and tumble play.

Problem is, Tess just distances herself from this play and just barks, and barks, and barks, and barks at them. :) This can be monitored somewhat when we're at home but I do have concerns that she'll just drive the neighbours batty in our absence.

Ordinarily it wouldn't be problematic for me as its not nuisance barking as such (well, I guess it is otherwise I wouldn't be posting this, what I really mean to say is that it is not constant in nature), however OH and I will be living with his parents in a few weeks ( :mad:( ), and they are less than pleased with the idea of having dogs around in the first place so i'm really trying where possible to soften the blow.

Any suggestions would be fabulous as to how I may be able to curb this would be really appreciated!! :rofl:

thegirlsoj.jpg

Edited by Pheebs

Hey, welcome back! Good to see you still have Tess :D

Can't really help with that type of barking, Dieter is the fun police and likes to break up dogs that are having a playful romp with barking... seeing as Tess is a good girl can she stay inside and the others outside during the working day?

I have the same problem! So am very interested in what solutions you find. The play at our house usually happens at about 7:30-8:00am for a while and then again of an evening. If I am not home I can't control the barking. I *think* my third wheel is barking as he is jealous that he isn't being played with. But who knows. If he is buggered himself he won't usually get in on the act.

Tess is old. She probably cant join in the fun to that degree any more, gets excited and (being a weim) barks :cheer:

you can try locking them up if you go out but really I wouldnt be putting anti bark collars on an older dog. Why dont you go speak to the neighbours, have a friendly chat and slip in 'oooh the dogs dont bother you do they'? I did that with mine and I get a heads up if my lot are being poo heads when I'm not home :cheer: