So Angry

nickojoy

As some of you are aware, my two dogs went on a walkie by themselves a few weeks ago, they were picked up by the ranger and put into the pound. It cost me $334 to get them out even though they were both registered and chipped.

Today in the mail I received 4 fines and 2 warnings:

1. Owner have unregistered comanion animal in public place not dangerous dog $165

2. Owner have unregistered comanion animal in public place not dangerous dog $165

3. Own Dog uncontrolled in public place not dangerous dog $220

4. Own Dog uncontrolled in public place not dangerous dog $220

5. Not notify change in contact details (my fault)

6. Not notify change in contact details (breeder never placed my details on the pink change of owner form.

So all up to get my dogs out of the pound and pay these fines $1104

Now I know why there are so many dogs dying in our pounds, how do they get off charging this type of money?? I can not argue with the council about it, the last sentence on the 3 page letter says:

"Should you wish to contest the penalty notices attached, all adjudication and representation of dispute of penalty notices MUST be made in writing to:- STATE DEBT RECOVERY OFFICE, PO Box 786, STRAWBERRY HILLS, NSW 2021

I have 21 days to pay the fines. What would you guys do?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So were they registered or not? If they were I would contest that part. The other part I think you will probably have to cop.

Geez I am glad I don't live in your council area. Only cost me $30 when my oh left our side gate once.

Both dogs were registered. I just failed to update my details when i moved house with my boy, lucky I only got a warning, the fine is $165.

In the envelope there was a 'Chip In' paperwork, the fines are NSW wide. But what I have been hit with the Fines for "unregistered" doesn't add up, there is nothing to say dog registered in public place.

How do you fight with the state debt recovery?

Both dogs were registered. I just failed to update my details when i moved house with my boy, lucky I only got a warning, the fine is $165.

In the envelope there was a 'Chip In' paperwork, the fines are NSW wide. But what I have been hit with the Fines for "unregistered" doesn't add up, there is nothing to say dog registered in public place.

If you have papers and that your dogs are registered and chipped, photocopy the papers and write a letter to them.

Shouldn't the pound have informed me about these fines at the time of collection of the animals?

I have all the paperwork from registration of both dogs and it shows on the receipts of each dog from Sutherland Shire Council.

I'd say there's nothing about registered in public place because that's not an offence. It reads to me as if you could receive this fine even if you were with your dog, if it was unregistered and in a public place.

The fines relating to your dogs being out alone were 3 & 4, Own dog uncontrolled in a public place.

As your dogs are registered respond with a letter saying you contest those 2 charges and provide evidence of their registration. If you have clear evidence that they have made a mistake you shouldn't have to fight too hard, as long as you follow the correct processes and meet timeframes. The only problem might be if it is stipulated in the legislation that your contact details MUST be kept up to date, otherwise registration becomes invalid. If that is the case, I think you're stuck.

What an expensive exercise, naughty dogs! :(:)

It would have been cheaper for me to leave them there for 14 days then get a friend to buy them. Then the council would not had received my upto date details and therefore could not fine me from another state.

It would have been cheaper for me to leave them there for 14 days then get a friend to buy them. Then the council would not had received my upto date details and therefore could not fine me from another state.

I'm sure they'd appreciate being left at the pound for 14 days just to save you money :( Hopefully that was a joke.

I'm sure they'd appreciate being left at the pound for 14 days just to save you money :( Hopefully that was a joke.

It was a joke, but you can see why we have so many dogs in our pounds being killed day because of these fines.

The fines are seperate to any impounding fees and charges. I actually think that part of the system works well, the dogs are claimed and then the owner cops the applicable fines for having a dog at large, unregistered, not chipped etc.

You could contest the first the unregistered bit but should think yourself lucky that the dogs were impounded and not kept by someone who could have picked them up.

There's also no point blaming the breeder for the paperwork. You would have recieved a white piece of paper from the breeders local council when the first change of ownership was completed. It's up to you as the new owner to confirm those details are correct. Again it's your responsibility to make sure details are correct upon lifetime registration and that you maintain them throughout the dogs life.

It was a joke, but you can see why we have so many dogs in our pounds being killed day because of these fines.

The fines arrive after the dogs are released, the owners pay the impound fees at the time of collection, so that arguement doesn't wash with me.

Were they registered in the same shire? Or had you moved into a different shire? Unfortunately you can nit transfer registration, you must re- register your pets if you move to a new area that is controlled by a different council. So if they were if this is the case then unfortunately they would be considered unregistered.

The fines arrive after the dogs are released, the owners pay the impound fees at the time of collection, so that arguement doesn't wash with me.

I'd also say that small fines aren't much of a deterrent. I bet you'll make sure your dogs don't get out again after how much it's cost you. Totally different if the fines are applied incorrectly though, as would be the case with registration fines.

Also, I don't think you'd need to use stat decs and certified copies yet, just a letter and photocopies should be ok as they should have their own records of the registrations. Of course, it depends how far in the process you are, but if you've only received the first notice of the fines you should be ok.