Overbite In Puppy?

Hi everyone,

I was just looking to buy a BC puppy but the breeder told me that the puppy we like has an overbite. I was just wondering what implications it might have? Does it require surgery? Should I buy the puppy?Can someone give me some advice.

Thanks

Nicola

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old is the pup, how severe is the overbite and what has the breeder said about the chances of it correcting as the pup grows?

I've never heard of surgical correction for an overbite. Provided the dog can eat, it's more of a cosmetic issue but one that can impact on teeth over the years.

Personally, I'd not buy a pup with a severe overbite but a minor one may well correct if a pup is young. Top and bottom jaws grow at different rates and the bottom jaw is usually the last to finish growing. I'd be far less worried about an overbite than an undershot jaw in a breed that normally has a scissor bite.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for the reply. We were really happy that the breeder was completely honest with us about a problem. I think the puppy is 6 weeks old now because he was micro-chipped today and had his vaccination today. That is when the vet found out about the overbite. The breeder also told us that it is not noticable unless we open his mouth and the puppy is eating well. The vet says they rarely have any problems and keep an eye on its teeth on yearly check-ups. Does that sound all right to you?

I'll wait for more experienced people to contribute to the thread but how a pup's jaw is at 6 weeks and what it's like at 12 months may not be the same.

I'd be waiting to assess the pup's temperament in a couple of weeks before making a commitment. A minor overbite wouldn't stop me from buying an otherwise sound and outgoing pup as a pet.

If the breeder does all relevant health testing, that's what matters.

I totally agree with you about getting all the health checks and temperaments. We are buying the puppy interstate so we could only believe what the breeder said. They have done hip/elbow scoring on the parents and temperaments of the parents are good. Some pups from the litter are outgoing and some are more layback. The breeder also said they will send the diet sheet together with the paperwork to us. I feel that they are good breeder but this is my first puppy so I might be wrong. Thanks for the advice again.

I totally agree with you about getting all the health checks and temperaments. We are buying the puppy interstate so we could only believe what the breeder said. They have done hip/elbow scoring on the parents and temperaments of the parents are good. Some pups from the litter are outgoing and some are more layback. The breeder also said they will send the diet sheet together with the paperwork to us. I feel that they are good breeder but this is my first puppy so I might be wrong. Thanks for the advice again.

Check the Breeds 101 thread but I think there are some eye issues and perhaps other genetic conditions that should be tested for in BCs.

I have read about BC before. They are healthy breed and only has problem with CL, TNS and CEA. They have already been tested. I was just wondering that we ask for copies of health cerfiticates before we buy or do we get them after the pup is bought?

mmmm I'd be a bit iffy with a Breeder who didn't know one of their pups had an Overbite and it was the Vet who found it.

Are you buying from a Registered Breeder?

The overbite shouldn't be a problem granted it's not grossly over, perhaps you can ask to speak to the Vet before the puppy is shipped.

You want to see the results of the health testing before you get the pup.

Edited by sas

i dont go checking the bites on all my pups unless they are ones i am looking at showing etc,i dont bother until they are 6 weeks old at least anyway when i make my final choices,the breeder was honest and if not a bad overbite,should have no impact on the pup as a pet at all.

I would want to see copies of all the health tests though and get someone knwledgable to look at them(not neccessarily a vet either,a good breeder if you know any is a start)

mmmm I'd be a bit iffy with a Breeder who didn't know one of their pups had an Overbite and it was the Vet who found it.

The overbite shouldn't be a problem granted it's not grossly over, perhaps you can ask to speak to the Vet before the puppy is shipped.

What would you do if the entire litter had the same problem. A pup I was looking to join our family was one of several and on the advice of my vet, I just walked away.

I found them on DOL breeder listing and they do show their dogs. The breeder told me that it is ONLY noticable when they open his mouth. So i guess its not too serious? I am just afraid that when it grow older, I may have to spend lots of money getting it fixed. He is fit, healthy and eating well. So would you guys suggest that I look for another breeder instead? I have asked my cousin who is doing Vet Science to ask his lecturer and hopefully he can tell me more about it tonight.

How do you find out whether they are registered breeder or not?

Sorry for the newbie question.

Ask to see their canine council membership card, it will have their name address and prefix on it and an expiry date ( for NSW anyway, not sure about the other states ). Get the prefix details and the call the controlling body that they are members with and check that they are still members.

An overshot mouth doesn't usually cause any problems unless the gap is so large that the dog has difficulty eating. As the puppy grows the gap will probably close up a little whereas in an undershot mouth the gap often increases. Like sas I'm surprised that the breeder didn't notice its mouth prior to taking the puppy to the vet, but I'm paranoid about mouths and testes and always check both. Anyway providing the gap isn't huge and the puppy meets all other criteria I don't see a problem, if you were buying the dog as a future show/breeding prospect I'd tell you to run a mile, but as a pet the puppy will probably be fine.

Not sure about Border Collies specifically, but generally speaking the lower jaw stops growing after the upper jaw has so an overbite will generally improve. I have had a 6 week old puppy with a 25mm overbite, now at 14 years old her mouth is still perfect.

Does concern me that the breeder didn't notice before the vet!!!!

Edited by Sandra777

What bothers me is why would an ethical breeder vaccinate puppies at 6 weeks ?

Don't a lot of folk give their pups their first vaccs at 6 weeks? :(

Exactly. It's not ideal and we're starting to realise that now, but I wouldn't question a breeders ethics because they are still vacc'ing at 6wks.