Ellz' ...what Not To Wear!

ellz

I wear runners with my show outfits. Why? Because if I wear those nice looking normal shoes, I have shin splints and can't walk for the rest of the week from injury. I have literally been unable to walk for a day after running in the wrong shoes. Nothing is worth that to me. If it means that I have people commenting on my fashion faux pas, fortunately it doesn't bother me one little bit.

If you would like the option of wearing different types of footwear (I guess you wear runners all the time and not just at dog shows due to the shin splints?) maybe custom orthodics would give you some freedom? Also, there are many brands of footwear that have stylish selections and are made with foot/shin/leg/back issues in mind. If you are interested in learning more about them, let me know and I will be happy to share some brands.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fine if you want to post photos of yourself, but posting embarrassing photos of others (even if they are publicly somewhere else doesnt' make it ok - and beside they are not your photos to POST ) and making rude comments is not very appropriate and some things that are said are downright mean.

Exactly.

And if you read a post I made a little while back, I pointed out that the purpose of this thread was to post photos of YOURSELF making fashion faux pas, not to embarrass or shame other people.

ellz,

Isn't the thread also for helping others learn how to avoid fashion blunders in the future? I think often we don't look carefully or think about how we look before venturing out - and that goes for regular life too, not just dog shows. If we can share ideas, suggestions and tips, I think that is a good way to let folks know that appearance does matter and each person should be proud of how they look - regardless of their size or health issues.

I think it's fine if you want to post photos of yourself, but posting embarrassing photos of others (even if they are publicly somewhere else doesnt' make it ok - and beside they are not your photos to POST ) and making rude comments is not very appropriate and some things that are said are downright mean.

Exactly.

And if you read a post I made a little while back, I pointed out that the purpose of this thread was to post photos of YOURSELF making fashion faux pas, not to embarrass or shame other people.

ellz,

Isn't the thread also for helping others learn how to avoid fashion blunders in the future? I think often we don't look carefully or think about how we look before venturing out - and that goes for regular life too, not just dog shows. If we can share ideas, suggestions and tips, I think that is a good way to let folks know that appearance does matter and each person should be proud of how they look - regardless of their size or health issues.

Absolutely!

And I've made some ripper blunders and don't mind sharing them.

I'm also an "extra" challenge because I'm an "upsized" version so dressing nicely, yet complimenting my dogs can be a challenge. I'm a lot more confident in my clothing now thank goodness. There was a time when I would never have been seen in colours like fuschia or watermelon or bright greens and blues because I didn't want to draw attention to myself. But I'm over that now and get a real buzz when I make a fashion "find" that will accentuate or compliment my dogs (and my figure). And you were also instrumental in that too!! :)

I do have to add again, that now that I have discovered some super-sucker boob-holders, the picture is "more" complete and the confidence that contained puppies alone can give is......pardon the pun......uplifting! :)

If you would like the option of wearing different types of footwear (I guess you wear runners all the time and not just at dog shows due to the shin splints?) maybe custom orthodics would give you some freedom? Also, there are many brands of footwear that have stylish selections and are made with foot/shin/leg/back issues in mind. If you are interested in learning more about them, let me know and I will be happy to share some brands.

Thanks, that would be great to know your suggestions. I have Rockports which are great but have only ever found lace up shoes that give me the support in the soles that I require. And I wear runners that are professionally fitted and cost a lot.

I don't wear runners all the time as I manage ok wearing regular shoes when I don't have to run in them . Only find I get sore when I am required to jog/run or if I'm walking a long way.

Thanks, that would be great to know your suggestions. I have Rockports which are great but have only ever found lace up shoes that give me the support in the soles that I require. And I wear runners that are professionally fitted and cost a lot.

I don't wear runners all the time as I manage ok wearing regular shoes when I don't have to run in them . Only find I get sore when I am required to jog/run or if I'm walking a long way.

Here are some options. I do think that a visit to the doc to see if orthodics would be helpful is a good idea too. :)

http://shoes.about.com/od/comfortable_shoe...table_Shoes.htm

http://www.healthyfeetstore.com/womens-orthopedic-shoes.html

http://www.zappos.com/womens-born-shoes

http://www.easyspirit.com/Casual/2881131,default,sc.html

Total show novice here, but are there dress codes for dog shows?

Funny thing is, 5 years from now you will probably be laughing at what you wear today :D I remember free dress day at high school, I thought I looked super cool and casual, but looking back at old photos now I cringe. There is a photo of my mum in her teens wearing jeans a hippy top and a bandana and now I think she looked awesome. Fashion is everchanging.

ETA - I am sitting here wearing an animal print boob-tube dress as a skirt an a black singlet with the hems falling apart - now thats a good look :)

Funny thing is, 5 years from now you will probably be laughing at what you wear today :laugh: I remember free dress day at high school, I thought I looked super cool and casual, but looking back at old photos now I cringe. There is a photo of my mum in her teens wearing jeans a hippy top and a bandana and now I think she looked awesome. Fashion is everchanging.

ETA - I am sitting here wearing an animal print boob-tube dress as a skirt an a black singlet with the hems falling apart - now thats a good look :)

So true :D

In 1983 I thought I looked super cool with my "barbie pink" bubblegum jeans, leg warmers and BIG HAIR.... pretty much fashion that came out of "pretty in pink or sixteen candles" haha. So dorky looking back now.

Funny thing is, 5 years from now you will probably be laughing at what you wear today :D I remember free dress day at high school, I thought I looked super cool and casual, but looking back at old photos now I cringe. There is a photo of my mum in her teens wearing jeans a hippy top and a bandana and now I think she looked awesome. Fashion is everchanging.

ETA - I am sitting here wearing an animal print boob-tube dress as a skirt an a black singlet with the hems falling apart - now thats a good look :mad

Good dog show outfits are truly timeless and can be worn for YEARS! Sloppy, ill-fitting, inappropriate outfits will be remembered for years! :) Here are some pics of me from years gone by (yes, I like pink & coral colours with my dogs!). There is also a photo of a friend in a blue outfit. Some of the photos have year markers in them, but some don't. Can you tell what year it was in the ones that are not marked??

eta: Any of those outfits I would wear again today and most of them I still have in my closet! :eek:

post-2862-1269858462_thumb.jpg

post-2862-1269858534_thumb.jpg

post-2862-1269858587_thumb.jpg

post-2862-1269858651_thumb.jpg

post-2862-1269858732_thumb.jpg

Edited by mersonmalinois

A few more...

I cringe at the one where I am in jeans because I would NEVER show in jeans unless I had to! In this case, I was pulled from the audience to show a friends dog at a show in Finland and he ended up BIS2! LOL! The other pic of me in the tank top/shorts...another not so proud moment but one I wanted to share with you.

post-2862-1269860417_thumb.jpg

post-2862-1269860449_thumb.jpg

post-2862-1269860528_thumb.jpg

what does everyone think of a lime green blazer? :confused: I've just bought one and I think it looks good but then again I can be a bit fashion blind. :laugh: I'll post pics when I can.

Lime green can be tough on the complexion but if you have the right shirt perhaps it will mute it a bit. To be honest I don't like the really screamy colours but if I had a border I would probably wear a lime green skirt rather than jacket and team it with a white or black jacket. That way you get the colour near your dog but it's not something that will blind the judge at 10 paces. Also, I would probably be more inclined to wear a screamy colour on an overcast day. Banana yellow, bright orange, lime green etc on a blazing hot day is hard on the eyes.

what does everyone think of a lime green blazer? :confused: I've just bought one and I think it looks good but then again I can be a bit fashion blind. :D I'll post pics when I can.

IMO it depends on what you want the judge to notice - your jacket or the dog. Watched a guy at a recent show in a very bright jacket. My attention was drawn to the jacket not the dog. In act I couldn't tell which breed he was showing but I do remember that jacket. :laugh:

I have the same problem with shin splints,also have a badly set and fused broken big toe joint on one side,and a ankle that is still wobbly after 2 3rd degree sprains to the ankle ligaments on the other!!!!

The reason i couldnt pass the medical for the police force :eek:

I have tried heaps of orthotics and ortho shoes,and still find certain joggers are the best.Colorados are good too,bu tcan be heavy to run in.

I entered a show a few years back where the toy judge was wearing a short skirt and every time she bent over he underwear showed. I unfortunately had set up behind her and had the view all day. Fortunately though she was wearing briefs and not a g string.

:eek: Reminds me of quite a few years ago, an eccentric older woman judge who was wearing this HUGE cape....we called it her bat cape that day! :mad

She was judging Dobes and walked around to the head of one Open Dog and said to the handler as she LOOMED over the dog "I want to see the soul of the Dobermann in his eyes" and the handler replied (barely hanging onto the dog) "Lady, if you keep doing that, you'll be wearing the TEETH of the Dobermann in YOUR eyes!"

I'll never forget it.......

AND, another tip for those with foot/leg problems.....take more than one pair of shoes.

I've found that changing shoes at least once during the day helps considerably.

EXCELLENT idea, ellz! I also bring an extra set of clothes with me to shows so I can change if there is a long lapse from the time we show and group competition. It's smart to honor your feet/body when you aren't active in the show ring.

This past weekend I showed my boy in Fort Worth, TX. The shows had 2,300+ dogs each day. Here we get get random ring times and are not judged in alphabetical order.

We were the first breed in at 8:00am. The group competition wasn't going to start until 3:30pm and I knew herding would be one of the last ones because there were several herding breeds being judged at 2:00pm. So, I drove back home at 8:15am, changed my clothes and relaxed. I got dressed in my show outfit again and drove back at 2:00pm.

Even at shows that are way out of town, I will do the same thing. There is no need to not be comfortable for a long break. Honestly, my show outfits are comfortable, but they aren't as comfortable as comfy sweat pants/shorts & a t-shirt! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Im with you Nynka.. I have heel spurs and wear black lace up Portlands (similar to Rockports but slightly cheaper). I wear these shoes pretty much 24/7, to work, training my dogs, shopping, and showing. I would love to wear those pretty little mary jane type shoes or Sketchers, but Im worried that I wont be able to walk the next day. But I do wear slacks anyway, so the shoes are ok... sometimes I would like to wear shorter pants for summer, but they dont look good with the shoes :laugh: maybe if i dont wear socks LOL