Letter Template For Rspca's Anti Pedigree Campaign

BJean

I have a template for a short letter to the Canine Councils

regarding the RSPCA's campaign against pedigree dogs.

For those that care enough to do something and want to write to their Canine Council to voice their concern

but don't know how to, won't or can't :love:

send me a PM

and I will send you the template -

all you have to do is add in your name and the name of your State Canine Council,

and then email it to your state CC.

The letter is in reference to the RSPCA FAQ on Pedigree Dogs in Australia

http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_news/ima...y_Asked_Questio ns.pdf

cheers

L:)

What is the RSPCA asking for?

There needs to be a fundamental shift in the way purebred dogs are selected and bred in Australia. The

RSPCA would like to see breeders put health, welfare and functionality ahead of the appearance of

pedigree dogs. This will involve acknowledging the health and welfare problems in each breed and

reviewing and revising breed standards. We’d like the ANKC to prohibit the registration of 1st and 2nd

degree matings; to open studbooks; and outcross then backcross where necessary to increase the

genetic diversity within particular breeds.

Are cross-bred dogs healthier than purebred dogs?

The science tells us that dogs that are the result of matings between unrelated animals have a fitness

advantage due to their genetic diversity, they are more resistant to both infectious and genetic

disease. Perhaps the best indicator that mixed breeds are generally healthier is that it’s more

expensive to purchase pet insurance for a purebred dog, because the average vet bills for pedigree

breeds are much higher than for crossbreeds.

Isn't pedigree breeding really about bettering the breed?

Unfortunately in many cases ‘bettering’ the breed simply means producing animals that increasingly fit

the breed standard description. Many breed standards are not fit for purpose and have led to the

exaggeration of physical features that compromise welfare and health. ‘Bettering’ should mean

breeding for happy, healthy, fit dogs that are suited to their environment – after all the vast majority

of dogs become family pets. If one is truly committed to ‘bettering’ a breed we would be increasingly

breeding dogs that can breathe easier, walk without pain or discomfort and once again give birth

naturally.

What is the dog show circuit like in Australia?

The dog show circuit is active in Australia and is taken very seriously by the pedigree dog breeders who

frequent them. The dog show circuit uses the written breed standard as the basis in determining

‘winners’ just as they do in the UK. The RSPCA would like to see a fundamental change in the attitudes

of show judges, with much less emphasis placed on physical traits.

Is inbreeding a problem in Australia?

The Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC) does not prohibit the mating of first degree (brothersister,

mother-son) or second degree mating (grandfather-granddaughter). Some pedigree dog breeders

deliberately mate close relatives, which increases the chances of inherited disorders in puppies and

makes puppies less resistant to both infectious and genetic disease. Closed stud books, where only

animals registered with the ANKC can breed, also decrease the gene pool. A lack of genetic variation

increases the chances of inherited disorders, compromises the immune system and may lead to

infertility.

http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_news/ima...y_Asked_Questio ns.pdf

Edited by lilli

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a straight 'take' on the ideology that's arisen in the UK. (An ideology is a mindset of ideas that automatically become the answer to any question).

There's scant reference to any Australian conditions in this statement.

Except that 'the show circuit is active in Australia (they make it sound like termites)...and is taken very seriously (would they prefer 'frivolously'?) by the pedigree dog breeders that frequent them' ("frequent' them? Sounds like places of ill-repute).

Who would have thunk it! There are purebred dog breeders in Australia who go to shows & who take what they do seriously.

And no reference to any field- tested Australian conditions.

Edited by mita

I emailed the CC president here in Vic but I don't think I really got my point across. He did reply and I know they are trying but I think the real issue is that actions speak louder than words. The RSPCA is telling our state bodies that they aren't trying to dispose of them but then they put things like this up. The RSPCA is well aware that the general public takes everything they say as gospel and they know that there is really no way the CC can dispute what they are saying as there is little to no evidence to the contrary and that they (the RSPCA) have far more clout than the CCs.

I've sat down and thought about it but short of a major media campaign which the CCs can't afford I really don't see what we can do. Jed had a good idea about someone doing some filming for short little segments for tv but I can't even begin to imagine how we'd go about doing that. I did make some suggestions of my own to our president with regards to advertising and promotion on a smaller more affordable level but :rofl:

It will be interesting to see what the MDBA's survey throws up.

I emailed the CC president here in Vic but I don't think I really got my point across. He did reply and I know they are trying but I think the real issue is that actions speak louder than words. The RSPCA is telling our state bodies that they aren't trying to dispose of them but then they put things like this up. The RSPCA is well aware that the general public takes everything they say as gospel and they know that there is really no way the CC can dispute what they are saying as there is little to no evidence to the contrary and that they (the RSPCA) have far more clout than the CCs.

No organisation can publish unfounded claims about another and expect it to go unanswered, similarly a represenative body cannot allow misinformation brandishing its members and their practises, to remain unchallenged.

The CCs can dispute what the RSPCA is saying

because there is no evidence to back up RSPCA claims, notwithstanding that the logic of the RSPCA's creative writing special

is not based on fact but biased conjecture.

Natsu I have sent you a PM :rofl:

Edited by lilli

they know that there is really no way the CC can dispute what they are saying as there is little to no evidence to the contrary and that they (the RSPCA) have far more clout than the CCs.

That RSPCA statement about purebred dogs in Australia is not evidence-based. There's no one shred of Australian evidence presented in making their case. It's repetition of ideas from the UK. Ideas that are over-generalised to claim application to the majority world of purebred dog breeding in Australia.

Which is an ideology, not science.

It says little for the education system in Australia, if statements such as that are believed to be indisputable.

Edited by mita

Well done Lilli - outcross and then backcross - all we end up with is the same situation they claim we have now but with more diseases rather than less because of the new ones we let in when we out cross to another breed.

What the ANKC should be doing is fighting back and stop giving into them and start counteracting their uneducated opinions.

1.Tell the world dog shows are only judging dogs on how they look depending on their breed standard - the show ring is a beauty contest and that no reputable breeder only breeds with a dog which passes this test and not all of the other tests and screenings and research into ancestry the dog has to pass to be chosen to breed with.If they muck around with implmenting health criteria before issuing a championship that this will not prevent dogs suffering. Its not possible to test and screen for everything a dog could have or get into the future and dogs have over 100,000 genes not one or two.

2. Explain that when purebred breeders breed puppies they have several major issues to contend with that cross bred breeders do not.That is, future litters and how possible RECESSIVE genes and POLYGENIC GENES which may not show in the first generation will show in potentailly thousands of dogs into the future.

3. That close breeding used with knowledge is a proven scientific tool which can identify and eliminate problems which can stop thousands of dogs suffering into the future WHICH ALL PUREBRED BREEDERS OF EVERY SPECIES use when it in the best interest of the animals they are breeding. That if they take away the option for a breeder to use this then there will not be less dogs suffering.

4.That purebred dog breeders have ALWAYS - SINCE DAY ONE - had the ability to have the stud books opened and that many have done exactly that.

If they make certain screens and testing passes mandatory for championships, if they open stud books without clear goals and understanding of what they are doing - just because someone who has no formal education in genetics, and no experience in breeding dogs says this is what we should be doing all that will be is a PR exercise which will cause more dogs to suffer not less.

They should also tell them they are full of it because they dont have any idea of what the health of OUR purebred dogs are because there are no studies, research or figures to back them up and unless they can work out a way of identifying who breeds a dog which they think is a purebred and can determine issues in OUR dogs as opposed to dogs bred by back yard breeders and puppy farmers they are dreaming and someone had beetter start yelling back at them.

Perhaps the best indicator that mixed breeds are generally healthier is that it’s more

expensive to purchase pet insurance for a purebred dog, because the average vet bills for pedigree

Oh! Wow. I think science just died a little.

Perhaps the best indicator that mixed breeds are generally healthier is that it’s more

Indeed. Science is the first casualty when an ideology is being pushed.

Good thing is that science doesn't Rest in Peace. But comes back to haunt. :laugh:

Lovely blend of science with actual breeding practices here. And not one word used to frighten the punters witless:

http://www.actavetscand.com/content/50/S1/S6

Edited by mita

yep :laugh:

sad but true

Well done Lilli - outcross and then backcross - all we end up with is the same situation they claim we have now but with more diseases rather than less because of the new ones we let in when we out cross to another breed.

What the ANKC should be doing is fighting back and stop giving into them and start counteracting their uneducated opinions.

1.Tell the world dog shows are only judging dogs on how they look depending on their breed standard - the show ring is a beauty contest and that no reputable breeder only breeds with a dog which passes this test and not all of the other tests and screenings and research into ancestry the dog has to pass to be chosen to breed with.If they muck around with implmenting health criteria before issuing a championship that this will not prevent dogs suffering. Its not possible to test and screen for everything a dog could have or get into the future and dogs have over 100,000 genes not one or two.

2. Explain that when purebred breeders breed puppies they have several major issues to contend with that cross bred breeders do not.That is, future litters and how possible RECESSIVE genes and POLYGENIC GENES which may not show in the first generation will show in potentailly thousands of dogs into the future.

3. That close breeding used with knowledge is a proven scientific tool which can identify and eliminate problems which can stop thousands of dogs suffering into the future WHICH ALL PUREBRED BREEDERS OF EVERY SPECIES use when it in the best interest of the animals they are breeding. That if they take away the option for a breeder to use this then there will not be less dogs suffering.

4.That purebred dog breeders have ALWAYS - SINCE DAY ONE - had the ability to have the stud books opened and that many have done exactly that.

If they make certain screens and testing passes mandatory for championships, if they open stud books without clear goals and understanding of what they are doing - just because someone who has no formal education in genetics, and no experience in breeding dogs says this is what we should be doing all that will be is a PR exercise which will cause more dogs to suffer not less.

They should also tell them they are full of it because they dont have any idea of what the health of OUR purebred dogs are because there are no studies, research or figures to back them up and unless they can work out a way of identifying who breeds a dog which they think is a purebred and can determine issues in OUR dogs as opposed to dogs bred by back yard breeders and puppy farmers they are dreaming and someone had beetter start yelling back at them.

Thanks Steve,

this is exactly what the letter is asking the CCs to do.

Steve and Mita thankyou for your deconstruction analyses of the RSPCA publication

pending what the CCs reply with,

I intend to use some of your content, if that is okay :laugh:

yep :rofl:

sad but true

I think it is because more people with pedigree dogs are actually willing to spend on their dogs and this is only in percentages. Not saying all people with cross breeds do not care. I have a cross breed myself (rescue). I must admit that with Medibank private, I pay the same for her as my newfs. And they have all my details

I will pm you my email address